Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

rear sprockeet snapring

Has anybody have trouble getting the rear sprocket snap-ring back onto the shaft? I slighty bent it taking it off.. its on about 80% Will i be okay with out this? is the four "lug nuts" sufficient to hold sprocket on? Where can i get a new snapring? Thanks

Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

I use big ol snap ring pliers. My snap ring is slightly bent, not enough to make me worry though. I forget the size but you can get a pack of them at Grangers. I'll look for the sizing.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #3

Do not ride it without the snap ring. That's what secures the sprocket in place. I would replace the snap ring if it is bent.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Tap it into the grove with a punch and hammer. Make sure the tabs are close like they were when you took it off. If they are you should be all set.
That snap ring is the only thing keeping the 4 studs in the wheel. It must be seated correctly.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

MUST HAVE the ring so it doesn't fall apart, holds the sprocket in so it doesn't slide out!

Need some? I can get say 5-10 maybe this should be an item in my eBay store with studs?
Always looking for products that help solve issues etc

Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
MUST HAVE the ring so it doesn't fall apart, holds the sprocket in so it doesn't slide out!

Need some? I can get say 5-10 maybe this should be an item in my eBay store with studs?
Always looking for products that help solve issues etc

The stock studs and nuts seem to be pretty soft. Are yours made of good steel?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

Hmm is the Hawk snap ring different than the tt250. The tt250 snap ring would only hold the sprocket on if the bolts sheared off, it does nothing under normal circumstances. I believe some leave the snap ring off with aftermarket rear sprockets and spacers.
I did not install spacers with my aftermarket sprocket and put the snap ring back on. Chain is lined up better with a straight sprocket without spacers. CSCtt250.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter338 View Post
Hmm is the Hawk snap ring different than the tt250. The tt250 snap ring would only hold the sprocket on if the bolts sheared off, it does nothing under normal circumstances. I believe some leave the snap ring off with aftermarket rear sprockets and spacers.
I did not install spacers with my aftermarket sprocket and put the snap ring back on. Chain is lined up better with a straight sprocket without spacers. CSCtt250.
Snap ring is likely the same, but the Hawk uses an old school Honda cush drive hub where the studs are simply pins that sit inside a metal sleeve of a rubber bushing. They do not secure it to the hub, but instead locate it and provide positive engagement to drive the wheel. The snap ring acts as a lateral retainer to keep it on the hub. The TT250 simple bolts the sprocket to the hub and the snap ring is there as a kind of backup retainer
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
The stock studs and nuts seem to be pretty soft. Are yours made of good steel?
Who knows for real etc
There’s 2 grades but reality I can’t say
I’ve never broken studs but I have busted the bushes
I’ve also suggested maybe solid inserts and bolts as it’s stronger but then no fish drive affect
That’s how some MX bikes are in china
Also a version with bolt but rubber inserts

Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Who knows for real etc
There’s 2 grades but reality I can’t say
I’ve never broken studs but I have busted the bushes
I’ve also suggested maybe solid inserts and bolts as it’s stronger but then no fish drive affect
That’s how some MX bikes are in china
Also a version with bolt but rubber inserts

Ok, I’m in the market for a full set this year. I’ve swapped the cog so many times the nuts are rounding off.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,