Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #1

Hawk Gas Tank Leak Repair

I’m just posting this for reference in case someone else runs into the same thing. My 2015 Hawk developed a gas leak several months ago. It happened around 2200 miles. I’ve done another 700 miles since without any problems, so I’m getting around to posting a couple of pictures I took of the repair since it seems to be holding up OK.

I started to notice a stronger than usual gasoline smell and discovered that it was leaking from the weld at the bottom of the gas tank and the fuel selector.

It was a welding defect - I’m guessing that enough rattling final worked open the joint, and it started to leak enough to be noticeable.

First pic shows the original bead and factory paint. Clearly, it’s not the best bead ever laid down – at least it’s wasn’t structural. I didn’t take a picture after I brazed it, but the joint wasn’t closed, and the disconnect went all the way through.

Name:  gas_tank_1.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  36.0 KB

Second one shows the materials required. The plumbers abrasive cloth worked good – brazed it up nice and easy around the selector (just like a copper pipe) and I expanded it out around the base to give the JB Weld a good area of contact.

Name:  gas_tank_2.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  82.0 KB

Third shows how the epoxy set up, and the fourth was taken after a quick coat of paint to cover up the repair, and the remaining exposed, braised areas.

Name:  gas_tank_3.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  43.9 KB
Name:  gas_tank_4.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  40.2 KB

Wasn’t hard, just took some time to take off the gas tank and wait for the epoxy and paint to dry.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #2

Successful I take it? Know you have taken it thru the shit and such with the big bend and chinos mountains.

I always see that object to the left of your signature and think I am seeing a guitar head. Is this your album cover?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Successful I take it? Know you have taken it thru the shit and such with the big bend and chinos mountains.

I always see that object to the left of your signature and think I am seeing a guitar head. Is this your album cover?
I'm too old to be too rough on it, since I think I take more of a beating now than it does, but I guess it's adding up - just lost a rear spoke the other day. A bunch of little repairs it seems, but it's really held up well.

As far as the "guitar" goes - no, my avatar is from an old movie, sometimes deemed to be the worse of all time - "Manos: the Hands of Fate." Torgo is one of the characters. It was filmed out around El Paso back in the 60s by a fertilizer salesman and has the quality you'd expect from that.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #4

Just listen

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #5

That's fine, I still have my imagination

Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Looks like a good fix to me.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #7

I used the JB Weld Steel stik, worked really well. Still haven't had to put on the warranty replacement tank I got.

Last edited by Sochin; 12-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

I just used JB water weld myself that was over 2 years ago no problem since.
Poop happens

Old 12-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I’m just posting this for reference in case someone else runs into the same thing. My 2015 Hawk developed a gas leak several months ago. It happened around 2200 miles. I’ve done another 700 miles since without any problems, so I’m getting around to posting a couple of pictures I took of the repair since it seems to be holding up OK.

I started to notice a stronger than usual gasoline smell and discovered that it was leaking from the weld at the bottom of the gas tank and the fuel selector.

It was a welding defect - I’m guessing that enough rattling final worked open the joint, and it started to leak enough to be noticeable.

First pic shows the original bead and factory paint. Clearly, it’s not the best bead ever laid down – at least it’s wasn’t structural. I didn’t take a picture after I brazed it, but the joint wasn’t closed, and the disconnect went all the way through.

Attachment 11534

Second one shows the materials required. The plumbers abrasive cloth worked good – brazed it up nice and easy around the selector (just like a copper pipe) and I expanded it out around the base to give the JB Weld a good area of contact.

Attachment 11535

Third shows how the epoxy set up, and the fourth was taken after a quick coat of paint to cover up the repair, and the remaining exposed, braised areas.

Attachment 11536
Attachment 11537

Wasn’t hard, just took some time to take off the gas tank and wait for the epoxy and paint to dry.
Nice job, but I'm confused by the brazing. Can you explain that more thoroughly? To me, you use heat and bronze to braze...ARH

Old 12-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Nice job, but I'm confused by the brazing. Can you explain that more thoroughly? To me, you use heat and bronze to braze...ARH
I reread that, and yeah, I totally chose the wrong verb there. I really meant "prepping for brazing," like you'd do for copper plumbing. Guess my brain was locked on that comparison when I wrote it. Getting old.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I reread that, and yeah, I totally chose the wrong verb there. I really meant "prepping for brazing," like you'd do for copper plumbing. Guess my brain was locked on that comparison when I wrote it. Getting old.
Yeah, now it makes sense to me. Anyway, it looks like a nice job...ARH