Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

Considering Hawk 250 or Brozz 250: Please Confirm Nebraska Registration

Hello all,

I live in northeast Nebraska (Cedar County). I'm considering buying either a Hawk 250 or Brozz 250. Whether I buy online or from a shop, I'd rather a get a confirmation that people have been able to register either of these two bikes without a problem in Nebraska.

It's anxiety provoking because every website I've found that sells the Hawk says that it might not be street legal. I haven't see the same "warnings" with the Brozz type bikes.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:45 AM   #2

Bashans are EPA/DOT certified as a 'highway' certified bike (all the models--they have one certification for 5 models).

Hawks are EPA certified as off-road bikes. Many states that plate bikes based on street equipment will plate these because they have all street equipment, but those states that go off the EPA/DOT list will not plate these (New Jersey comes to mind)

Which brings me to California--California has its own CARB certification above and beyond the EPA, so many manufacturers do not go the extra step.

Bashans are 49 state certified by the federal gov't.

I believe that Nebraska has had success Hawk certifications.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 AM   #3

Here is what the Nebraska DMV website says,

Manufacturer's Statement of Origin(MSO)CANNOT indicate off-road use only. The manufacturer CANNOT have designed the vehicle as off-road, regardless of whether the off-road disclaimer appears on the vehicle's MSO. ยง60-339

Must display both the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (DOT) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Certification decals.

Did the MSO paperwork for a hawk say off-road use only? Does it come with the decals mentioned above?

Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

No the Hawk only has the EPA one NOT the DOT. On the bike it says "OFF ROAD ONLY" I was going to buy the Hawk until I went to my DMV to check and it seemed to me I was going to buy one huge headache trying to get it reged. The Bashan was a breeze. I also could not get past the rear disk cylinder being placed right where any good size rock could take it out. That was the deal breaker for me.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 AM   #5

the mso i got fro my 2016 hawk had it listed as "motorcycle" nothing about off road on the mso. all alabama wanted to check was that the vin matched the mso.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250