Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2023, 07:09 PM   #1

Miss/Sputter at Mid to High RPM

I'm trying to figure out where to go next on my son's Tao Tao 125 ATV. t has a Sputter or miss at the higher RPM range. It start easily and runs great at lower RPMs, but as soon as you go middle to full throttle is starts to skip and spitter. If you slow down, it goes back to running fine. I thought it was likely a gummed up high speed jet, and after seeing that I couldn't take the carburetor apart, I got a brand new one and replaced the whole thing along with a new air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Nothing changed and it it doing the exact same thing. I'm thinking it is something in the ignition, but I'm not sure what to try or replace next. The parts are pretty cheap, so I'm not afraid to replace stuff, but any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:19 PM   #2

What brand spark plug? If you are cheaping out and getting a Chinese plug, replace it with an NGK.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-14-2023, 08:31 PM   #3

It is an NGK plug.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:13 PM   #4

Sounds like shit fuel to me .Take a sample and stick it in your freezer to see how much water you have .

Old 08-15-2023, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Sounds like shit fuel to me .Take a sample and stick it in your freezer to see how much water you have .
I thought of that too, so when I changed the fuel filter I also flushed the tank and put in fresh (no ethanol) gas at the same time. I have just ordered a complete electrical package from Amazon which included new switch, CDI box, stator, coil, and anything else that might be crap on this thing. I know I didn't purchase a high quality machine, just hoping to make it run decent enough for my son to enjoy before getting him a bigger and BETTER machine once he is a few years older.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #6

So... After changing the ENTIRE electrical system, carburator, fuel filter, flushing the tank, air filter, and new fuel, the thing still doesn't run any better. Would there be something internally that lets it run fine at idle and lower RPMs, but spit and sputter at full throttle/higher RPM?

Old 08-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #7

Have you tried any fine-tuning with the new carburetor that you installed? Made any air or fuel screw adjustments? Moved the jet needle clip down a notch or two? Try a size or two bigger on the main jet?

Old 09-01-2023, 07:10 AM   #8

If you haven't done so already, set your valve lash. They notoriously come tight when delivered.
2016 Tao Tao 125D