Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2024, 04:27 PM   #1

Head Scratching Wondering which to buy

Hello All! I have been lurking around here for some time and now have a question to ask. Recently the number of bikes available for purchase has been going down. I wanted a counterbalanced engine with a six speed transmission and a carburetor. From reading the posts on China Riders and searching YouTube, I found the perfect bike in the Templar X 250. Then before I could buy, the supply ran out.

Now I am wondering what would be second best, The KPX is still available, but is now at nearly $3000. The Hawk X could work I guess and it has problems that are known at least, I would like to be able to cruise at around 65 MPH in order to not get ran over on the way to work.

Then there is the Lifan Expect, but it displaces only 200 CC's. I can't find information on it being counter balanced, so I am guessing that it is not. But Lifan bikes are fuel injected as well. I do like the higher quality of those bikes though.

Is the X-Pro RXE the same bike as a Hawk X? The tires on the RXE are biased toward off road, but other then that they seem identical.

I need to make up my mind if I want to buy now. Otherwise I will be waiting for the 2024 models to complete EPA certification for who knows how long.

I would welcome your input!

Old 03-16-2024, 06:04 PM   #2

Don't get the X-pect for highway use. I had one and it is not powerful enough, believe me. Plus it wasn't all that stable at 60+. That's why I upgraded to the KPX. Still way cheaper than anything Japanese.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-16-2024, 06:05 PM   #3

Templar M and Templar X will come back if that's what you want. And you will order a brand new build from the last 3 to 4 months since this will be a new allotment. Latest from PSM is about a month.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:44 PM   #4

Thanks for your input! The KPX would be great, but a bit pricey for me. I never thought about the X-pect being a little unstable above sixty, that's something to consider.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:49 PM   #5

Thanks Thumper! The Templar X would be perfect. I am willing to wait for one if I know they are on the way. The warm weather makes me eager to ride.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:31 PM   #6

if you need to get on the interstate much, these bikes are not the right choice. while they "can", it's not a great choice. Can you tell us more about what you're intending to do with the bike?

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:50 PM   #7

I travel on a rural four lane to work. It's not a highway, and the speed limit is only 55. everyone drives 60 to 65 on it though. It's somewhat lightly traveled. Other then that, I'll be exploring back roads and dirt trails. I have an old KLR 600, but it needs quite a bit of work, so I wanted something I can just ride. (Maintenance being a given, just not a complete overhaul)

Old 03-17-2024, 09:09 PM   #8

My knee-jerk impulse is to BOCO--buy once, cry once. Spring for a little more and get the KPX. A known high-quality Chinese bike.

That being said, I have no firsthand knowledge of the Templar X. Is it considered as high quality as the KPX, or one notch below?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-18-2024, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule6 View Post
I travel on a rural four lane to work. It's not a highway, and the speed limit is only 55. everyone drives 60 to 65 on it though. It's somewhat lightly traveled. Other then that, I'll be exploring back roads and dirt trails. I have an old KLR 600, but it needs quite a bit of work, so I wanted something I can just ride. (Maintenance being a given, just not a complete overhaul)
On the one hand KLRs in good condition are usually pretty cheap. If you're already familiar with them you could get one that is mechanically in fantastic condition for the same money. As you know though, they are a handful on singletrack. I've owned a KLR and thought about rebuying one but wanted something lighter and more nimble for trails/fireroads/BDR use. After looking around for almost a year I settled on the Templar X. Just my advice but I'd wait for it. It'll be back in stock soon enough. My X is still in the break in period but it has little vibration for a single at 55mph at about 7krpm. Mine will be on roads only long enough to get to local dirt though.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 03-18-2024, 03:22 PM   #10

The Templars are showing up all over the place on youtube and other dirt bike websites. There is already a line forming for when they are back in stock.

My son wants an M, so I am going to keep watching closely.

We sold the Storm yesterday, so my son has the funds ready for online purchase at PSM or XPro. The buyer was a really nice guy, and his Dad showed up with him. First bike. Perfect. That CG clone will take good care of him. He was real pleased!

Old 03-18-2024, 06:11 PM   #11

TominMO- From what I have read, I would guess that the Templar X and the KPX are both in the higher quality end of the spectrum. (A good place to be if you have to be on the spectrum!) They both appeal to me, the Templar X seems like a better bargain. There is not much information coming from the KPX owners about the reliability and durability of the fuel injection system. (Other then the remapping of the ECU that is now available.) I suppose that if it were a problem we certainly would have heard about it on this forum.

The carb on the Templar X is simpler and therefor a potentially easier to repair on modify. Either way I don't think that buyers remorse would be a problem!

Old 03-18-2024, 06:20 PM   #12

Weresquatch - I still want to restore the KLR, but not with a sense of haste about it. Mine is a 1985, the first year with electric start.

The Templar X does seem like a screaming bargain. I hope that when it comes back the price doesn't increase by much. Thanks for your input!

Old 03-18-2024, 06:29 PM   #13

Thumper - I can believe that there is a line forming for the next Templars X and M. I thought about getting an M when the X was sold out. Then it sold out.

Your son is going to love the M for sure, from what I have seen and read about it! I am glad that the sale of the Storm went so well. A win-win situation when selling something is a great feeling. That is a great first bike.

I should make up my mind quicker. Life moves too fast for the constipated!

Old 04-10-2024, 06:50 PM   #14

I went with a KPX 250, and could not be happier! They really got it right with that one!

Old 04-10-2024, 07:55 PM   #15

My son and I always ride off road. We can't use dual purpose tires. The front tire washes out and dumps you if you are in anything rough, trying to turn and you aren't right on top of it. A rear dual purpose tire just doesn't track well or grab well in the dirt. But I am absolutely sure that if that's what you want, put more knobby-ish tires on the KPX and go for it. What's the point of "dual purpose" if it can't perform off road!? But with the KPX, no worries about altitude/temp changes with the EFI

I've been tooling around in the sticks on my 2 stroke KTM 250SX. It's an MX bike, with power for speed and big air. Comes with excellent Geomax MX3S tires on Takasago Excel aluminum rims. Challenging performance (!) but fun. My son is not up to it yet I will use the tuning options to tone it down (power valve main adjustment and possibly go with the weaker auxillary spring). It tames the transition to on-pipe high end. I can also unplug a wire to change the ignition map to a milder advance curve. I am also drop a tooth on the front (12-11T).

This will transform it into a tam-ish single track monster for long trails in the mountains. Less than 5 hours on it now! I've added tail light and perfect colormatch headlight housing/LED bulb to replace the number plate !, but working on turn signals and the isolated battery system (no voltage rectifier/regulator). Getting there. Off road adventures are where it's at for me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TailLightCloseup.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	31219

Name:	Left-TailLightInstalled.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	31220

Name:	HeadlightConversion.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	31221

Last edited by Thumper; 04-11-2024 at 09:28 PM.

Tags
which bike?