Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
So with the limited miles you have put on the bike...
hows the vibration if any..... handle bars/foot pegs..
looks as if thats something i have to start concidering
now... As I now have carpal tunnel my XT660 gives my
right hand a real hard time..goes numbe in about
30mins of riding at 100kmph... 4000rpm is a real
bad vibration zone on the XT...
The engine is very smooth, and I have felt mimimal vibration at all speeds up to 88 mph, as indicated on the speedometer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #3137

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Some big cruisers and tourers have 1-inch handlebars under the controls. Pretty much everything else in the world is 7/8...
Thank you for correcting my error. I am almost completely ignorant of Harleys and the big cruisers, and these exceptions escaped my memory.

Quote:
...Are the stock bars aluminum or steel? If steel, with only a 1/2 inch hole, they would be very heavy. Tough as a tank, but way heavy. If there is that much material there I'll just tap some threads and drill the guards to match. Simple solution...
CSC reported the handlebars are aluminum. I just checked, and a magnet won't stick to them. They certainly seem to be aluminum to me.

I just measured the hole in the handlebars; it is 12 mm in diameter. Tapping the hole to a 13 mm thread would certainly work.

Quote:
...If anyone is installing grip heaters, wrap the left bar with friction tape to the approximate diameter of the throttle tube on the right. Then install the heater and a right side throttle diameter handgrip on the left. Otherwise your handlebars will suck heat so hast your left hand can be cold and your right hand sweating. I know, that means buying 2 sets of grips, but you can befriend a 4-wheeler person with a gift of the two smaller grips because 4-wheelers don't have throttle tubes.
That is an excellent tip.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #3138

88mph? Oh, come on. It isn't even broken in yet. You expect us to believe that? What did you do, ride it off a cliff?

88mph!

By the way, how do the stock tires feel on pavement?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
...One of those obscure (at least for us) European manufacturers uses the same engine, but apparently manufactures their own bike. Someone can remind me what the brand is...

The reason I mention this is that this engine has been sorted out for a little while now, so it is not 'untested'
The Gas Gas Cami 250, and the AJP PR5 also employ the ZS177MM/NC250 engine. Both bikes, and their engines, get excellent reviews. Indeed, I consider this engine to be a well proven success.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #3140

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
Let me just say after a day of the real maiden voyage, i like the bike alot ,having the the same issue finding nuetral, but not a huge deal,,,,,but man if it was a 450cc ,i would be totally s.mitten!!!If zongshen /csc comes out with a 450 , Im buying it. i will look forward to some performance upgrades to this platform,cause i just really like the fit and nimbleness,and handling!
I haven't had any problems finding neutral, whatsover. However, I never try to shift to neutral while moving.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
i hope someone finds a set that works on the stock bars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
honestly, me too
Given Qwerty's excellent suggestion to tap the holes inside the handlebars, I am going to see if the Tusk D-Flex handguards meet the other fitment requirements.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #3142

Quote:
AZrider George mentioned fixing his issue on another forum by adjusting the clutch

http://cyclone-rx3.com/forum/viewtop...21e0bc7b560079
The clutch lever of my RX3 did have excessive play in the cable when it arrived. I adjusted the lever for the proper amount of free play before my first ride, and I haven't had any problems whatsover finding neutral while stopped.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #3143

Quote:
88mph? Oh, come on. It isn't even broken in yet. You expect us to believe that? What did you do, ride it off a cliff? ...

Quote:
...88mph!

By the way, how do the stock tires feel on pavement?
My friend Andy is a professional mechanic with over 30 years of experience. He told me he believes it doesn't make any difference how you break in an engine. After learning the Zongshen factory runs each bike to 90 mph on a dynamometer at the factory, I decided not to baby my RX3 engine during the break in process. Indeed, a lot of guys advocate a hard engine break in, and they seem to get excellent results. Therefore, I have merely been modifying the engine rpms, and I have ridden the bike on the interstate at full throttle.

The speedometer is probably still at least 10 percent 'optimistic,' but I have cruised at 84 mph, and actually reached 88 mph on a short, slightly downhill stretch of pavement. The stock tires feel great at all speeds on pavement, and the bike always feels stable and well planted. This bike is a lot of fun to ride.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #3144

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I know Spud answered 'yes' to your questions, and there are a few bikes that have had this engine for a few years now. Here in the US, SSR Motorsports have been using the same engine for a few years now in their 250cc motocross bike http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...ke/sr250s.html

The company Asiawing is the OEM for SSR's bike which is also sold into other countries under various brands. http://asiawing.com/english/index.asp

One of those obscure (at least for us) European manufacturers uses the same engine, but apparently manufactures their own bike. Someone can remind me what the brand is...

The reason I mention this is that this engine has been sorted out for a little while now, so it is not 'untested'
There are several branded RX3s around the world, like the M1nsk (Byelarus), and the Honley (UK), plus distribution in China, Chile, Peru, Argentina and Brazil under the Zongshen name.

Here are a few other bikes that use the NC250/ZS177MM engine:

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #3145

Quote:
88mph? Oh, come on. It isn't even broken in yet. You expect us to believe that? What did you do, ride it off a cliff?

A thing of the passed...

88mph isn't bad for a 250 pushing that much weight on a tight motor...
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #3146

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thank you for correcting my error. I am almost completely ignorant of Harleys and the big cruisers, and these exceptions escaped my memory.

CSC reported the handlebars are aluminum. I just checked, and a magnet won't stick to them. They certainly seem to be aluminum to me.

I just measured the hole in the handlebars; it is 12 mm in diameter. Tapping the hole to a 13 mm thread would certainly work.

That is an excellent tip.
Hey, we have to watch out for one another. Those S. O. B. (Some Other Brand) riders will start all that not waving at Chinese bikes crap.

I've never heard of a 13mm bolt. 12 and 14, yes, but not 13. Hmmm? Guess what size hole needs to be to tap for a 14-2 bolt! Yup, 12mm. Hold on a sec. ... ... ... Okay, I just ordered two taps off eBay. Once I've tapped my bars I'll mail a tap to anyone who needs one as long as they promise to pass the tool one to another Cyclone rider.

Oh, wait! Will the end of the guard have enough material to take a 14mm hole?

If not, I have some thread inserts that go into about a 12mm hole and they came from Advance. Advance just might lend the tools to install. If memory serves, the inserts are less than $10.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #3147

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
A thing of the passed...

88mph isn't bad for a 250 pushing that much weight on a tight motor...

Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #3148

Quote:
Once I've tapped my bars I'll mail a tap to anyone who needs one as long as they promise to pass the tool one to another Cyclone rider.

Qwerty, sign me up. I'm going to want hand guards on the bike sooner rather than later. I don't want to have to practice changing levers out in the event that I drop the bike.

Looks like taps are done manually? Do I need to get my hands on a T handle?. I see I'll be augmenting my tool box on account of this adventure :P

Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #3149

Quote:
Qwerty, sign me up. I'm going to want hand guards on the bike sooner rather than later. I don't want to have to practice changing levers out in the event that I drop the bike.

Looks like taps are done manually? Do I need to get my hands on a T handle?. I see I'll be augmenting my tool box on account of this adventure :P
Let's wait for SpudRider's take on whether or not there is enough material to handle the 14mm hole, and if the rest of the kit will fit. Then we will go from there.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #3150

Quote:
Let's wait for SpudRider's take on whether or not there is enough material to handle the 14mm hole, and if the rest of the kit will fit. Then we will go from there.
Most wise. Thank you for offering to share the tap around in any case!