Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #2836

AGM battery OEM is awesome.

Won't have to worry about acid spills or fumes causing terminal corrosion or refilling the cells with water. Two of my TWs have the cheap Chinese AGMs from eBay. One is 4 years old, one a year old. The 4 year old battery has sat as long as 4 months without care and fired the bike right up. The newer battery saw a couple weeks use when it was first installed, then sat almost a year, then was moved to another TW whose OEM battery died while the owner was in Afghanistan, and fired his TW right up.

I don't have any friends so mine will have to wander home all by its lonesome.

Last edited by oldqwerty; 04-15-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #2837

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
AGM battery OEM is awesome.

Won't have to worry about acid spills or fumes causing terminal corrosion or refilling the cells with water...
I agree. My Zongshen ZS200GY-2 arrived with a genuine, Yuasa wet battery. That was a very good battery, and it lasted 3-4 years. However, I much prefer having a sealed, low maintenance, AGM battery.

I'm going to slow charge my battery overnight to maximize its lifespan, as described in the video below.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #2838

Quote:
I don't have any friends so mine will have to wander home all by its lonesome.
Plenty of virtual friends here to talk shop with.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-16-2015, 01:33 AM   #2839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
X2; we are glad you joined us.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 AM   #2840

No objections to the stock RX3 battery, but if the terminals match, I'm going to move my Shorai lithium-iron battery (LFX18A1-BS12) from my V-strom 650 to the RX3. Should save over 5 lbs.

I'll set the RX3 stock battery aside and put the original battery back in the strom.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 AM   #2841

A Shorai is a nice weight savings, but the two things I've read are don't let them discharge, and don't let them get cold.

I don't know these things first hand, but it's enough for me to pick a less expensive and more reliable AGM. My AGM batteries have been flawless.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-16-2015, 02:00 AM   #2842

I shed 9 pounds from my Honda XR650L when I performed my Shorai battery relocation. The battery replacement itself shaved 5 pounds from the bike, and removing the stock battery box shaved another 4 pounds from the motorcycle.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #2843

Quote:
A Shorai is a nice weight savings, but the two things I've read are don't let them discharge, and don't let them get cold.

I don't know these things first hand, but it's enough for me to pick a less expensive and more reliable AGM. My AGM batteries have been flawless.
You don't want to short circuit a lithium battery; they discharge very rapidly, and can start a fire. However, you don't need to worry about the cold. The manufacturers actually recommend placing a lithium battery in the refrigerator for long term storage.

http://shoraipower.com/faq

The lithium batteries also crank very hard during cold weather. I'm sure they crank harder than conventional batteries at the same temperature. I have never had any problems starting my Honda XR650L in temperatures slightly above freezing.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #2844

Can't beat a Chinese AGM from eBay for all around value. Has anyone actually had a problem with one?

Not sure which technology Shorai is using, but as for home assembled ABC LiFePO4 battery pack in my café racer TW, well, when every gram matters, it's the way to go. It's small size allowed a custom air filter box for adequate flow and filtration to protect the engine. However, cold weather requires a specific allotment of thoughtfulness as the pack seems weak. Turn the key on so the lights come on, wait two minutes, then it fires right up. Something about the pack needing to warm up before it will deliver high amps. Keep in mind this engine is 276cc, 11.1:1 compression, and puts down 30.1 horsepower at the tire, so the load on the starter is significantly more than a stock TW. Yes, I expect it to explode at any moment, but so far, it's been a blast.

Avoid lithium polymer (LiPO) batteries as they spontaneously combust when damaged. The smoke and flames add a nice scale touch when I crash one of my RC airplanes.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #2845

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
X2; we are glad you joined us.
Why would I curse nice folks like you with my dysfunctions? No, I'll go away as soon as the new bike excitement wears off, which will be 3 seconds after its first ride, when I kick it off the stand and get it over with. After that, it'll be just me, a RX3, and a road less traveled.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #2846

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You don't want to short circuit a lithium battery; they discharge very rapidly, and can start a fire. However, you don't need to worry about the cold. The manufacturers actually recommend placing a lithium battery in the refrigerator for long term storage.

http://shoraipower.com/faq

The lithium batteries also crank very hard during cold weather. I'm sure they crank harder than conventional batteries at the same temperature. I have never had any problems starting my Honda XR650L in temperatures slightly above freezing.
The Shorai has delivered a very strong, consistent start in my V-strom all winter, but I only rode a few times below 35 degrees ... mostly over 40.

Question: Will it matter that my strom's Shorai is 270 amps and most 250cc engine batteries are around 135 amps?

I've always understand more amps in a starter battery is better, but that's more than double!

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #2847

Quote:
Why would I curse nice folks like you with my dysfunctions? No, I'll go away as soon as the new bike excitement wears off, which will be 3 seconds after its first ride, when I kick it off the stand and get it over with. After that, it'll be just me, a RX3, and a road less traveled.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #2848

Quote:
Can't beat a Chinese AGM from eBay for all around value. Has anyone actually had a problem with one?

Not sure which technology Shorai is using, but as for home assembled ABC LiFePO4 battery pack in my café racer TW, well, when every gram matters, it's the way to go. It's small size allowed a custom air filter box for adequate flow and filtration to protect the engine. However, cold weather requires a specific allotment of thoughtfulness as the pack seems weak. Turn the key on so the lights come on, wait two minutes, then it fires right up. Something about the pack needing to warm up before it will deliver high amps. Keep in mind this engine is 276cc, 11.1:1 compression, and puts down 30.1 horsepower at the tire, so the load on the starter is significantly more than a stock TW. Yes, I expect it to explode at any moment, but so far, it's been a blast.

Avoid lithium polymer (LiPO) batteries as they spontaneously combust when damaged. The smoke and flames add a nice scale touch when I crash one of my RC airplanes.
I agree with you and Weld. I installed a Shorai battery in my Honda XR650L because it removed 9 pounds of highly placed weight on the motorcycle, slimmed the rear of the bike, greatly facilitated replacing the left side cover, et cetera. However, if weight and other factors are not a big issue, I really prefer AGM batteries. That's why I only installed a Shorai battery in my XR650L.

Shorai batteries are manufactered from 4 lithium pouches connected in series, instead of ABC cylindrical cells. Therefore, you can easily increase the cranking power of these batteries by simply increasing the size of the individual pouches. The Shorai battery easily cranks the 4-inch piston in my XR650L, even when cold.

Lithium motorcycle batteries are LiFePO4 (lithium-iron-phosphate) batteries. This technology is much less volatile than the LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries used in radio control vehicles. The LiPo batteries are lithium-cobalt batteries, which are very volatile, and quite unsuitable for motorcycle applications.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #2849

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
The Shorai has delivered a very strong, consistent start in my V-strom all winter, but I only rode a few times below 35 degrees ... mostly over 40.

Question: Will it matter that my strom's Shorai is 270 amps and most 250cc engine batteries are around 135 amps?

I've always understand more amps in a starter battery is better, but that's more than double!
You are correct; more cranking power is a good thing. Your Shorai battery will work very well with your Zongshen RX3.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #2850

Valve Clearance

Got a 1000 miles in the saddle , time to check the tappets.

This afternoon I started to prepare, I had ran the fuel tank down to 1 bar on the gauge. This turned out to be ok as there was only a little fuel spillage and with the tank placed vertically it stopped altogether.

Did a quick check of the tappets, all on about 0.04mm. Tomorrow I'm going to set them at 0.06mm which should be fun as it's a pretty tight working space.

Here are 2 pics showing the fuel tank connections.

Green arrow - fuel level gauge
Yellow arrow - rain water drain pipe ( takes water from around filler cap)
White arrow - spare connector
Red arrow - fuel pump connector
Purple arrow - fuel line- fuel filter (white piece is just me blanking the end)