Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

RX3 Won't Shift Anymore

So my RX3 won't shift out of second. I tightened the lever, checked the oil level. I found that if I banged (or pulled really hard off the bike) I could get it shift up. So I rode around the block, and it seemed to work for one cycle. But then wouldn't shift down past 3rd. I had to turn the bike off and I could get it down to neutral.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Not knowing your mileage, I would say that it is possibly time for a clutch. It sounds like clutch plates are sticking. That could be due to worn plates or or weak/broken clutch springs. You will have to pop the clutch cover off to know for sure.

Another possibility is stretched clutch cable that doesn't have enough adjustment left, but this one is a bit of a stretch. Pardon the pun.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
So my RX3 won't shift out of second. I tightened the lever, checked the oil level. I found that if I banged (or pulled really hard off the bike) I could get it shift up. So I rode around the block, and it seemed to work for one cycle. But then wouldn't shift down past 3rd. I had to turn the bike off and I could get it down to neutral.

Any suggestions?
Perhaps the dreaded shifter spring has broken.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...t=zongshen+rx3

I suggest you drain the motor oil and remove the right crankcase cover. After the cover is removed you can work the shift lever and look for problems, including the possibly broken spring.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #4

Yeah, honestly... it does not feel like it's returning to any position. If I had to guess, it feels like a broken spring.

First it was 2 doohickeys on 2 separate KLRs... now this bike.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Just a few comments about the shift return spring. Mine broke last fall and I combined the replacement with checking the torque on the crank end nut as recommended by CSC. I stared a thread on this procedure. The spring replacement was not difficult. Do pay attention to the suggestion to use a cold chisel to notch and unscrew two allen head bolts on the clutch cover that are blocked by the frame. And you'll need the spring and a new lock washer for the clutch basket nut.

When my spring broke, the shift lever suddenly got "floppy." It would not return to center on its own. You could manually lift it up, and then click through the gears with the engine off. But you could not shift effectively while riding. Your experience of driving for one "cycle" without problems makes me think perhaps you are not experiencing a broken shift return spring. But then I am not exactly sure what you mean by a cycle, how many times you shifted and into which gears etc.

Can the bike be clicked through gears with the engine off? If so, as other posters noted, I'd make sure the clutch adjustment is OK and that the clutch is releasing properly. Quick test is to put the bike into first with the engine off, pull the clutch lever in, and see if you can roll the bike. I have to pull the bike back hard several times while holding the clutch in to "break" the clutch plates free, but once this happens, I can push the bike around with relatively little resistance with the clutch lever pulled in.

Sorry if this is all pretty simplistic. I hope nothing more serious is going on with your bike.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Perhaps the dreaded shifter spring has broken.
I agree: here that issue is very common on the RX3's.
My bike´s gear shift lever feels too much soft since it´s 2000mi (now has around 7000mi), but the spring hasn´t broke yet. Then will look for a stiffer replacement spring.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)