Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2021, 05:09 PM   #16

FYI, it was $156 for a new stock tire.... installed. Boo-yeah.

Charles.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Awesome! So, what kind of rider are you? Have you done any track days, or competitive events? Or do you just get happy from time to time in the back roads?

I ask this, because I'm bringing up the fork issue again. Although, the fork is usually easily remedied with thicker oil, and sometimes heavier springs (an issue I need to correct on my KPM).

Also, congrats on finding anything other than the ohlins!!! I figured that wasn't the best stopping point. I need to look at YEC and see if they have any single shocks that can fit my bike... As soon as I get a measurement for the shock. Lol.
Currently I'm just a back roads rider, who likes to hit a few sets of curves in my area that need the bike to be able to hold a line and not run wide, due to the rear squatting from too soft springs. I'm only 30 miles or so from Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, so someday I hope to get down there and exorcise my inner Marquez; I'm not sure if the SG400 is the bike I'll do it on yet, but if the TEC's work out I don't see why not. The engine likes to spool up, has enough power to have fun, and the bike is light and relatively low cost from a repair stand point. Perfect for a track day bike, especially since it doesn't really have any useful luggage capacity, apart from a tank bag, unlike my RX3 and RX4, which basically serve as pack mules with their Tourfella aluminum luggage.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:13 PM   #18

TEC's Are Installed

Finally got the TEC rear shocks installed on the SG400 and I'm happy to report that they are light years beyond the OEM shocks. They look good on the bike and, more importantly, they are actually rebound damped! And the damping works, with distinct differences in the rebound behavior as you run through the 14 clicks of adjustment. The spring is also stiffer than stock, but I can't say much in regards to how much stiffer for a couple hundred miles or so, since TEC recommends running it in that long without any preload before making any adjustments. For $252 though, I'm more than satisfied with what I have now and I'm way more comfortable pushing the bike through curves than before.

For the curious, the length on these is set via a threaded lower eye, with an aluminum spacer included that provides an additional 30mm of length, if needed.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #19

Man, That's awesome!!! Glad to see those work out for you. Yeah, give them about a hudred miles or so, then add a little preload. Make sure you write down your settings, also. They may need to change depeding on road conditions, and writing down your settings will make it easier to go back to what you had before.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Currently I'm just a back roads rider, who likes to hit a few sets of curves in my area that need the bike to be able to hold a line and not run wide, due to the rear squatting from too soft springs. I'm only 30 miles or so from Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, so someday I hope to get down there and exorcise my inner Marquez; I'm not sure if the SG400 is the bike I'll do it on yet, but if the TEC's work out I don't see why not. The engine likes to spool up, has enough power to have fun, and the bike is light and relatively low cost from a repair stand point. Perfect for a track day bike, especially since it doesn't really have any useful luggage capacity, apart from a tank bag, unlike my RX3 and RX4, which basically serve as pack mules with their Tourfella aluminum luggage.
Man, I've seen people on just about everything out on the track. One guy showed up with a M109 Boulevard out here at Roebling. I wanted to take my KPM200 out. Still might on a short track. lol. As long as it passes tech, it'll be okay.

Let is know how it feels after a while, and when you start dialing everything in.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #21

I realize I never posted back here with my shock solution. I went with YSS shocks, part number 789.02.20. They're for an old early 00's era CB500. They're a bit on the stiff side and don't offer adjustable damping, but they made an amazing difference. If anything, it's a little over-damped now. Very nice on the twisties, but could be a little more compliant on the highway. Spring weight is perfect for my fat arse.

Manufacturer: YSS
Adjustment: Preload (continuous)
Manufacturer Part Number: 789.02.20
Brand: YSS
Color spring: Black
Diameter: 10 mm
Fastening top: Eye
Diameter pin piston: 12 mm
Type5: Shock absorber emulsified
Features spring: 46-17-25-260
Item Length: 380 mm
piston diameter: 30 mm

I first started with the absolute cheapest remote-reservoir shocks on eBay (like $60) and even they were light years ahead of the stock shocks. I ultimately decided I wanted quick-release luggage on the bike, and the remote reservoir gets in the way of the mounting bracket. So I went with the YSS shocks, which don't have a reservoir.

Charles.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #22

Here's the bike with the YSS shocks, plus a bunch of aftermarket goodies to make it the bike I fell in love with after seeing Chinese promotional videos.

I don't have a pic with bags, but I'll post one soon.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0934 copy.JPG (259.2 KB, 42 views)