Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

Possible Dirt Rat Project?????

If my memory serves me right....it won't work with a Hondaclone motor....but nothing wrong with asking.
This is my brother-in-laws. Rotting behind the barn. He says it's a 250. Don't know if it's an XR, XL or X-something else. All I know is the gooseneck says it's a 1980 model, made in 7/79 and 'off road use only'....which leads me to believe it's an XR....but it has the little mounts for gauges????????? He got it '49-th hand'....so who knows. The head has two exhaust ports and a 2-into-1 headrer pipe.
Anyway, is this one of the non-ressurectable bikes where I can't drop in a Hondanoid motor?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

I remember alot of the "XL's" being that color. This looks like a great project bike. I'm currently waiting to hear back from one of my customers about a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 - I want to turn it into a Bobber.

We'll see - I would really like a project bike right now. I like to tinker.....
I say go for it....Get this bike and start building......Looks like a great starter project bike.

The fact that you see Gauge mounts leads me to believe even more this was an XL Model. You should be able to find out with the VIN # I would think.....

Keep us all posted on your "Barn" Find....
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

2 into 1 would be a 250/350. My xr has guages too.

I am pretty sure the mounts are different from the clones. Weld would know for sure.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Sounds like an XR250. It would not be a direct swap like The Dirt Rat was, I don't think. That doesn't mean it's not do-able, but it may not be as 'simple' as The Dirt Rat was.

If you can get it for free or close to free, I say go for it. Worst case scenario is you'd have to make some mounts and deal with mounting an exhaust.

Again I say go for it, but only if the bike is close to free.

A new motor is $450. By the time you add in tires, side covers, eBay header, chain, battery, and sundries you're looking at maybe $750. You may be able to save some money if you can get a wrecked CB donor bike to get a motor from. You'd also get the wiring for the CDI, RR etc.

Any more than that you can find an XR200 that already rides, but without the new motor.

I really did like building and riding The Dirt Rat.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #5

I believe that to be an XR250, because the XL has proper passenger footpeg mounts, where that one has pegs mounted to the axle area. As well, that looks like a 21" front wheel, whereas the '78-'81 XL250S has a 23" front wheel.

I was just thinking about this very topic last night, because I have a spare '78 XL250S frame that I might be able to title, and I'd like to repower it with a China 200 or 230. I haven't taken any measurements yet, but it looks like the two rear mounts and two front mounts are in the right location. You can certainly compare this barn find with a Honda clone to confirm, but I think the only difference will be the tube spacer on the upper rear mount, right side.

I'll get around to some measurements soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer