Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #76

Dang, that stinks, literally! Sounds like my kind of luck.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 08-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Dang, that stinks, literally! Sounds like my kind of luck.
Yep.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #78

So get this. I know living in CA has its (many) drawbacks, but it seems that ordering a fuel tank was more trouble than expected. Of course, NV and CA work in tandem on many things (NV has become CA PtII), including NV not shipping anything to CA that may be on the Environmentalist's Most Wanted Lists.....which includes gas tanks, apparently.

Many other states also play the game, including Kentucky, believe it or not. I finally found a company that didn't show any shipping restrictions (at the top of the page), so I ordered it. They gladly accepted my almost 300.00.

Three days later I receive a nice email from a nice lady at whom both her and the company will remain unnamed (to protect the innocent, as they say). She states that Kentucky has shipping restrictions to CA for the tank I wanted......BUT.....if I was willing to wait a few extra days, they would ship it to another state where they have a facility, that doesn't have shipping restrictions to CA! I said, HELL YAH!

Now that right there is customer service......

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #79

Well, other than waiting for my new Shinko 705's to arrive, the DRZ project is done.

Starting from the intake, the bike already had the "3x3 mod" (big hole you cut in the top of the air box), and a foam filter. I upgraded the Mikuni BSR36 CV carb to a Keihin (China copy) FCR39 Slant carb and just finished a 10 week long forum class on jetting and needles, to get it completely tuned in by professional, who was willing to work with me. I was very fortunate here. I've been tuning carbs for 50 of my 63 years and this guy took me down an entirely different path.

I installed the 434cc big big bore kit and a pair if Stage 2 Hotcams. At the same time, I replaced the timing chain and installed the manual cam chain tensioner, just because I was in there.

I topped the motor work off with an FMF Power Bomb header that attached to my Leo Vince chambered exhaust. Needless to say, the bike now scoots.

Then I converted the S model to an SM and also resprung the rear shock with a stiffer Racetech spring to hold up my girth. Then, new braided brake lines (no, the venerable DRZ doesn't come with them like most China bikes. Go figure). Of course, all fluids have been flushed and changed, along with new coolant hoses.....oh....and the new Acerbis gas tank.

I guess it's time to ride! Now I need to find a new project. I was seriously looking at an old Brit bike like a BSA A65....but then why on Earth would I want to buy yet another set of (Whitworth) tools!? Seriously looking at older Honda's now. Got my eyes on a 1970 CL350. Time will tell.....and I still have a Victory to sell.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 10-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #80

Finally changed tires. The crotch rocket tires that came on the KKE wheel set were very flicky. They turned super quick, but sometimes had sticking issues. Very unnerving when it's the front tire that fades through the twisties. Besides, I do a lot of gravel roads and THEY SUCKED on gravel, as expected of a pure street tire.

Got the Shinko 705's mounted and it's good to have the correct tire for my terrain. Also ordered a bigger tail bag. This one only held 2 beers and a baseball cap! Unacceptable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drztire.jpg (68.9 KB, 36 views)

2009 Q Link XP 200