Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

Carbs for GIO 200cc

hey guys, I just picked up myself a 2009 GIO rebel t3. Runs okay, but having some issues with the carb, and would rather just upgrade to the performance "mikuni" carb. So I started doing some research.

Everyone just says to grab the performance 30mm mikuni carb and its a great upgrade. Well I have some questions, and some conclusions I
would like to share.

First of all, the carb that is listed as a Mikuni on the Giomotors site and pretty much every where else is NOT a mikuni carb. It is a chinese knock off of a Keihin slide carb that for some reason they decided to stamp Mikuni on it. The real mikuni carbs are the VM series, which are noticeably different.

1. "performance" "Mikuni" (chinese clone) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-Carbu...7ac059&vxp=mtr

2. Keihin - http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XP-200...dc0e02&vxp=mtr

3. Actual Mikuni 30mm carb - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-Round...e01fbb&vxp=mtr

See what I mean? So what carb is everyone buying? Because I'm pretty sure its number 1, which is just a chinese knock off of a Keihin carb. Who has actually put a real Mikuni on their bike? The choke setup looks different, so I'm not sure how that would work out. And you need to buy the flange to bolt it on...

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #2

Welcome!

I've purchased and installed several of the type in your first link. Although they are similar, it's not a Keihin clone. The Keihin has three bowl screws, vs. four on the Mikuni, and the jet design and size reference system is different. The so-called 30mm Mikuni isn't a 30mm carb by the true definition, but it is perfect for 200cc four stroke motors (once you jet to suit).

There are several different Keihin clone carbs, and they have some very creative names. I've had considerable trouble finding replacement jets for the Keihin clones, but no trouble at all with the so-called 30mm Mikuni. I can get typical large round main jets and common slow jets for the Mikuni at the local Yamaha dealer.

The bottom line is that I've had good luck and good performance with what everybody in the China bike world calls a 30mm Mikuni. A genuine 30mm Mikuni would be too large for 200cc.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

I've actually got it running pretty good with the stock carb. The idle mixture screw was only 1 turn out, giving me an idle issue.

Lots of confusion on the Mikuni carbs, I know what you mean now. Someone should create a carb sticky for new people, so that they can easily figure out what is what. And also so that they don't get ripped off, as some people are paying $100-$150 for that chinese Mikuni carb (probably under the assumption it is geniune) when they can be had for $35 all day long on eBay.

I think I am going to go with the GY6 30mm carb and modified intake manifold though when I do finally upgrade.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #4

That's been done on this forum before, and the forum member reported great success. The CV style lends itself to a straight shot into the head, vs. the uphill climb for the round slider.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer