Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Banned

Valve clearances

Is everyone seeing the same thing upon their first valve inspection, that the gaps are too wide?

I haven't done mine yet, but have seen multiple reports that the gaps are too wide, even after 1000 miles. (supposed to be .06, measured at .1 or something to that effect)

Too wide is better than too tight.

Do we think Zongshen is trying to compromise, assuming that many owners won't check or adjust their valves often enough?...and maybe leaving them wide in order to allow more leeway?

Lee's recent post about poor mpg started me thinking. I'm just through my first tank of gas, and after this coming weekend will no doubt be around 500 miles or so.

Lee did also post about top speed, and his was right in line with others, indicating the motor is running well?

Just trying to understand.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #2

I am guessing its simply because of a new engine that needs to be broken in. Get some miles on the engine and then the valve gap will settle down. Right now you set the proper gap but the engine has a lot of 'give' per say making the gap quickly and dramatically change. After the engine is broken in the proper gap will hold.

/

Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I am guessing its simply because of a new engine that needs to be broken in. Get some miles on the engine and then the valve gap will settle down. Right now you set the proper gap but the engine has a lot of 'give' per say making the gap quickly and dramatically change. After the engine is broken in the proper gap will hold.

/
If that is the case, then WHY adjust to "correct" clearances as early as 500 miles if the motor is not fully broken in yet?

Who here has checked their valves at 1000 miles and still found them loose?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #4

You should always check and adjust your valves to proper setting. Just expect the first few times to have some wiggle room.

/

Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
Is everyone seeing the same thing upon their first valve inspection, that the gaps are too wide?...
No, my valves were tight. Several others also reported tight valves.

The only way to know is to check the valve lash yourself. I do suggest you follow CSC recommendations, and check the valve lash at 500 miles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Is everyone seeing the same thing upon their first valve inspection, that the gaps are too wide?

I haven't done mine yet, but have seen multiple reports that the gaps are too wide, even after 1000 miles. (supposed to be .06, measured at .1 or something to that effect)

Do we think Zongshen is trying to compromise, assuming that many owners won't check or adjust their valves often enough?...and maybe leaving them wide in order to allow more leeway?

Lee's recent post about poor mpg started me thinking. I'm just through my first tank of gas, and after this coming weekend will no doubt be around 500 miles or so.

Lee did also post about top speed, and his was right in line with others, indicating the motor is running well?

Danimal,

I'll know this weekend as I just hit 500 miles and am doing the first round of maintenance. I don't think anything is wrong with my bike, it's more a Yeti with a heavy right hand that's causing the MPG issues. I'll be adjusting a friends who bought at the same time as well. I rode his bike and it's no different than mine.

My Guzzi also uses screw adjusters and they were tight the first couple of checks even with me setting them to the loose end of the spec. I'm expecting the RX3 to be as well.

I'm also purposely going slower to see if I hit 65-70mpg. If that's the case then I know it's me and won't worry about it after that. I've been riding a lot of trails also which is probably part of it. Loose sand hill climbs probably aren't good for mpg I've got to say this RX3 is the best dirt bike of the adventure bikes!

Old 10-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

My valves were "tight"...
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 10-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:

In the first few thousand km is when the motor dose the most
settling in...
I would rarther see lose vavles over tight dueing that time...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Danimal,

I'll know this weekend as I just hit 500 miles and am doing the first round of maintenance. I don't think anything is wrong with my bike, it's more a Yeti with a heavy right hand that's causing the MPG issues...

Now you did it; you made me homesick. I was raised in Pennsylvania, and I miss the wonderful fall foliage. Thanks for posting the beautiful photograph from upstate New York.

P.S. I think you are correct. If you are easier on the throttle, I think you will see a big boost in gas mileage.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
My valves were "tight"...
Translation:

My valve clearances were less than the specified minimum of 0.04 mm. Therefore, the space between the valve tappet and valve stem was too narrow for the feeler gauge, or 'tight.'

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
In the first few thousand km is when the motor dose the most
settling in...
I would rarther see lose vavles over tight dueing that time...

Amen. Slappy valves are happy valves. Loose valves are better than tight valves.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Translation:

My valve clearances were less than the specified minimum of 0.04 mm. Therefore, the space between the valve tappet and valve stem was too narrow for the feeler gauge, or 'tight.'
Yeah SudRider, that's what I said... , ,

I could not get a 0.04 to fit; I wrote down the gap but don't have it here with me now but baby, it was tight...
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 10-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #13

I'm checking mine right now, intake valves were both below .038 which is the smallest feeler I have. I set them to .06mm.

Spark plug was in good shape so that's a good sign.

Now I'm staring at the front trying to figure out how to get to them. My hands are huge and it may require removing the radiators.

Last edited by Lee R; 10-24-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #14

Well thankfully the exhaust valves were about .065 so a little loose and I left them that way. That is one hell of a pain if you have large hands to get too. I'm just pulling the radiators off and changing coolant next check.

My Guzzi takes an hour to do both cylinders as they are both fully exposed and 4 bolts to open. This one took me about 4-5 hours with a good 3 hours messing with the front.

Pulling the regulator/rectifier off lets you move the left radiator a bit further back but not enough for me.

Get a t-handle or 8 inch socket extension as a wrench will be very difficult on the left radiator top bolt.

Intakes were less than .038 and adjusted to .06mm

Exhaust were .065mm in the first 500 miles.

Lee

Last edited by Lee R; 10-24-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #15

Tight valves on mine at 200 miles. Exhaust was tough, but having to do the job a couple of times (don't ask), I've got the process down and only loosen the left side radiator to do this job.

Last edited by rtking; 10-24-2015 at 10:33 PM.