Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #16

Most likely the original cable end was the type that has a Teflon sleeve around it to let it pivot easier in the lever. That sleeve was either not installed at the factory or it came apart and fell out. The new cable should have the correct standard end to fit the lever. Will find out if I can figure out how to get one down here in Arizona.

In the mean time I removed the clutch cable from the Trail 90 I have with me and improvised a way to make it work using a spare spoke from the 90.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #17

Another thing to add. The lower ball joint rubber covers have cracked open which will allow dirt to enter and wear to occur. Really thought they would last a year at least. I've covered the cracks with liquid electrical tape for now but need to find a source for rubber covers that will last a bit longer.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #18

grease

if you want to do something about the ball joints... drill a hole and add a grease nipple... to keep dirt out.. you might be able to find boots for them on line or ebay.. mxmottoparts?? but usually not.. the whole a arm.. replacement.. lots of dealers for the cable.. ship it to you.. eagleparts.com is the TAOTAO PARTS dealer in the USA..

Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #19

Grease nipples won't work in the type of ball joints or tie rod ends used on the Rhino, at least I couldn't get them to work. I tried. They use a plastic insert to keep tension on the ball and there isn't enough room to screw in a zerk. I did have to replace the lower A arms/ball joints on my ATA250D last year because they were worn out.

Lots of sellers on Ebay for the clutch cable and one is on the way, I hope. Its difficult to get packages delivered down here in Arizona while camping out for the winter. Post offices in the area won't do general delivery.

I should be clear that the problems I've had with the Rhino are very minor and do not take away from the great bang for the buck you get when you buy one. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It might be useful for someone thinking about buying one to know what little things they may have to deal with.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #20

grease nipplie

is the bottom of the ball joint not steel??? .. it is hard steel ,.,, need a good bit to drill.. and then tap.. I have done it before.... or one of those grease needles... to insert grease... to wash out the dirt and water that gets in there..

Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #21

The ball joint bottoms are sheet steel crimped in place. Easy to drill but there isn't enough space between the sheet steel and the ball itself for threads to bite and hold the zerk. Needles through the rubber would work if the rubber would stay in tact, but it's falling apart. I'll figure something out when I get home in March. In the meantime I've slathered some liquid electrical tape over the cracks.

Got the new clutch cable and will install it today.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #22

Swing arm cracked at about 250 hrs, much of it bouncing over large rocks. Cracked in the same place as the ATA250D. Had it welded by the same shop in Arizona so it probably won't happen again. Good thing to check before every ride.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #23

Do you have a picture of the crack on either ATV so we know where to look for it?

I'm a little concerned about mine with all the towing I do with the Rhino.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #24

I didn't get a pic of the latest crack before welding but here's the ATA250D crack starting in the same place, just in front of the sprocket.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #25

Thanks for the pic.. much appreciated.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #26

Right front outer wheel bearing disintegrated yesterday. About 280 hours on the quad. Bearing is a 6003-2RS. Sourced one locally and ordered several to keep on the shelf.

When calling around for parts I found the pricing very interesting. Carquest $39, NAPA $35, the Yamaha shop $117 (not kidding), eBay $10 for 10 bearings with free shipping.

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-16-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #27

Well, I experienced my very first, completely unacceptable failure with my Rhino.
I found the taillight hanging by the wires.
I may have to have a couple tonight to deal with the depression and utter frustration.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #28

bearing failures can be reduced greatly by cleaning and greasing after each ride but we all know most people won’t do that lol. I let my kids ride about 3 hrs on there brand new quads before checking the bearings. I found that almost every bearing had little to no grease in it. I since bought spares and checked a few right out of the package to find the same thing barely any grease in them. I highly recommend staying on top of greasing every moving part

Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #29

One of the rear axle bearings froze up and the axle spun inside it which damaged the axle. 311 hours on the Rhino. Ordered a new axle and bearings for about $95 total.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
So,,, my rhino, 1 year old btw,
New taillight due to rocks, reinstalled chain twice as never tightened the frame bolts after each ride from hell, only about 25hrs on it but guarantee the trails in Upstate NH would convert those 25hrs to about 300 easily..
I switched the oil to the diesel rotella, changed the plug to NGK, and yes the carb upon arrival immediately got messed up so TXPOWER sports sent me a new one and running perfectly.
BTW in MA there's only gas with ethanol in it,,Its MA land of the liberals please don't forget,, so I go to NH to buy only "ethanol free" gas at a local airfield for 5.50 a gallon, and the ATV's as I have 3, run PERFECTLY!!!
DO NOT run gas w ethanol in them, their carbs will foul asap as mine did, and the fuel container was brand new from the store to the gas station and it still messed up in no time.
TXPower sent you a new carb? The first one I just assembled is leaking from the overflow. Do you think they will do the same for me? TIA