Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2023, 07:02 PM   #1

2008 tank sports touring 250de help

I just purchased this scooter. The lady’s husband passed away and it’s been sitting for years but supposedly ran fine. It looks almost new and has about 1,000 miles on it. I noticed it has a few issues and looking for help, I tried searching the forums before bugging you guys. I’m pretty mechanically inclined but don’t have much experience with scooters plenty of experience with cars, 2 cycle engines and small engines cleaning rebuilding carbs and what not.

It has the horizontal engine and says 257 cc so it must be the linhai engine correct? The cf moto Honda clone is the better engine and these are problematic correct? I believe I read that but can’t find the post. If you care to elaborate what’s bad with these but don’t feel obligated. The sticker said it’s 257 cc and 8TKSCO.2SSTR.

The right brake handle is frozen solid. The left break handle appears to be the opposite where the shaft is stuck in so handle is loose. Any input with these if you can soak them with penetrating lube, open the bleeder, or mess with the caliper cylinder? Or suggestions even if it’s based on experience to buy a new assembly? Between both of these it may determine if I should move forward messing with the scooter. It may have been a typo but I saw the one assembly for $1,319.

Next the gas is years old. I didn’t see a drain plug, is there one or is the easiest way to siphon/pump it out?

At the very least I figure I need to drain the carb bowl and switch the fuel filter. Looking at the carb it doesn’t look too bad to take off. Wondering if I should just take it off and take the jets out and clean everything real good. If I’m that far maybe just spend $30 and buy the rebuild kit. A lot of times a new carb isn’t much more but usually you have to worry about the Chinese ones vs oem but if the oem is Chinese or may be the same. Thoughts/suggestions here?

A few other things I noticed were the air inlet tube isn’t connected to the air box. Also the little 4” x 2” black circular (I believe PDI) was hanging loose so I’ll have to reattach both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.