Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #31

If Progressive turns it down you can always get it through Geico online. Quick and easy. punched in the Vin# and all the correct information on the bike came up. $99 a year. Allstate wouldn't add it to my policy because it would come up in there system.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I have about 50 miles on the bike so far, and I've noticed that the seat is very comfortable (the seat pad I bought my find it's way onto the DR instead of the Hawk), the mirrors are about useless, the bike doesn't buzz or vibrate as bad as everyone said, the brakes are as effective as dragging a stick on the ground, and the headlight could use some improvement. Did I miss anything? I'll keep everyone posted as the week unfolds and I find out about the DMV. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle I have left.
Ok is it just because I haven't ridden a motorcycle for 25 years prior to getting the hawk but to me the brakes aren't bad. I think I need to ride a modern-day mx bike to see how far brakes have come.

Totally agree on the mirrors..... useless.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to LesterJames
Thanks for all the updates Emerikol. I'm amazed that you've been able to get it going that fast already. Would you mind sharing all the mods you've done already? And links to the products. Thanks! Safe travels!

Old 11-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #34

Here ya go

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #35

Why do the stock mirrors suck?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
If they're anything like the mirrors that came with my Lifan, they provide an excellent view of your shoulders.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #37

First DMV Visit is a Bust - No Help From TXPowersports

First visit the DMV has been a bust. They refused to register, title, or do anything with my Hawk because the MCO didn't say that the vehicle was legal for street use. They gave me a couple of forms to fill out and take the bike up to the Sheriff's office so they can inspect and verify the (non-existent) vehicle data plate that's supposed to be on the steering stem. I reached out to TXPowersports for some help and haven't heard back yet, however I noticed they updated the website after I bought my bike and they posted a disclaimer that the bike might not be legal in all 50 states... If they're marketing a vehicle as being street legal, it damn well ought to be street legal. The DMV even went so far as to dig into the registration of my DR, claiming that since it only had one cylinder it couldn't possibly be street legal. Needless to say, things were tense at the local DMV. They finally sorted out the DR, and I got it and the wife's daily driver renewed, but that was certainly not the best way to spend an hour and a half of my time this morning. I'll give the guys at TXPowersports until close of business tomorrow toget back with me before I get too bent out of shape. After that I'll call AmEx and see about reversing charges and TXPowersports can send someone to my place to pick up a fully assembled and modified Hawk 250... So to recap, insurance was fairly straightforward (still haven't heard anything from my broker about adding it, so no news is good news), but the DMV was less than cooperative. It seems that the red tape strikes again. The bike is running great, and i got the new exhaust and iridium spark plug in yesterday's mail. No sure how much sense it makes to spend some time continuing to mod out the Hawk when it doesn't look like I'm going to get to ride it anyways...

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
The stock mirrors provide a completely unencumbered view of my elbows and upper arms... And God help you if you ride in cooler weather and wear a heavy jacket. The one on the right also sags as you ride. I've tried tightening up the tension screw in back, but no dice.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #39

The Upgrade List!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterJames View Post
Thanks for all the updates Emerikol. I'm amazed that you've been able to get it going that fast already. Would you mind sharing all the mods you've done already? And links to the products. Thanks! Safe travels!
1. Carb rejet to 110 main and 1 3/4 turns out on the mixture screw.
2. HawkCluters.com digital gauges.
3. 17t front sprocket and 39t rear sprocket with o-ring chain.
4. Valve adjustment 0.05 on both Intake and Exhaust.
5. Oil change to Suzuki 10-40 oil.
6. Iridium Spark Plug (Pending response from TXPowersports.com)
7. Aluminum high flow exhaust (also pending response from TXPowersports.com.
8. Airbox mod for improved breathing.
9. A lot of swearing at the GA DMV.

Everything came from MotoCheez's website:
https://sites.google.com/site/motoch...-250-resources

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to LesterJames
Dang man, I'm sorry it's been so disappointing. I still am unsure if I'll get a title from the state. They may deny it. I've also heard that there is a way to register it in another state to get the title and then bring it in after the fact to register it here, if nothing else works.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterJames View Post
Dang man, I'm sorry it's been so disappointing. I still am unsure if I'll get a title from the state. They may deny it. I've also heard that there is a way to register it in another state to get the title and then bring it in after the fact to register it here, if nothing else works.
I was thinking about either selling it to someone to register in another state and then bring the title back here (all on paper, of course. The bike looks very nice taking up space in the corner of my workshop), or seeing if I can find a very cheap bike somewhere that someone is parting out and just register it as that. I'm a little nervous going that route because of the current law enforcement mentality to shoot first and cover it up later. We'll see how it goes. It kind of makes me wonder how people who build their own vehicles from scratch get plates for them. Maybe I can look into getting it registered as a custom build or something. Definitely feel like the wind has been let out of my sails, though.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #42

Here is some good information on Vin tags. http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-l...ber-labels.htm Just an idea. Looks like you can get them made or just print your own and stick it on there.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Here is some good information on Vin tags. http://www.motorcycle-manufacturer-l...ber-labels.htm Just an idea. Looks like you can get them made or just print your own and stick it on there.
Thanks, Jerry! I just reached out to the guy and hopefully I can get that sorted out. I'll keep a running post of what I find out.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Thanks, Jerry! I just reached out to the guy and hopefully I can get that sorted out. I'll keep a running post of what I find out.
Anything to help a fellow member out. You need to get that thing out on the road.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #45

mine had the vin number on the neck and they came out and verified it matched the mco. in alabama

Tags
georgia, hawk, upgrades