Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Hello there

Hi there
My nane is Leon and live in West Yorkshire UK. I have spent most of my life around two wheeled transport (bicycle and motorcycle) swapping back and forth between the two. I have had a meriad of machines over last 30yrs to mention and had many an exiting time at the TT. I had a thirteen year spell away from motorcycles because of work and family issues and in that time commuted to and from work on the bicycle.

In the past thirteen years I have unfortunately had a lot of verbal abuse, near misses and nearly written off on a few occasions cycling. In March of this year I was nearly written off by an articulated lorry which prompted me to a change of vehicle. I trolled the web to see what was about with a budget I had in mind and to cut a long story I ended up purchasing a Zontes Monster. I only needed a 125cc for the distance I travel to work etc. As luck happens, just around the corner where I live there is a motorcyce service/mot centre that is a dealer for the said bike. I used to deal with him 25yrs ago when I had the MZ motorcycle.

I was reluctant at first to join a mainstream motorcycle forum as the purist of them all were against chinese bikes with venom but came across this forum which put a smile on my face which I should fit in nicely

Regards

Leon

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #2

Welcome--you have come to the right place!

There are a few British members here, as well as on mychinamoto.com (however, that forum has more of a worldwide membership--many European ex-pats living and working in China are members, for instance).

We do love photos here, but you have to have them hosted somewhere else to post them, as well as videos (i.e. youtube).

It is ironic that there is a lot of badmouthing Chinese bikes in the UK considering, at least what seems to me, that your Chinese brands are well-organized as brands complete with dealer networks, and seem to have high quality bikes a well. I know there are probably a few Ebay sellers and mail-order brands there, but Zontes is a brand with a network, like Sinnis and a few others I have heard about thanks to members. All seem to be decent bikes from what you guys have reported.

Is this what your bike looks like?

http://zontes.co.uk/images/banners/monster.jpg

I noticed that they are headquartered in Canterbury--I have spent time over the years in Canterbury since I have several relatives in Faversham, Kent nearby.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

Welcome, Leon! We'd love to see pics of your bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #4

Howdy Leon,

Seems you and I should be able to swap cycling war stories. I've been cycling for nigh on 50 years. 24hr TTs, double, triple, quad centuries, and PBP. Commuted to work 8 of the last 9 years. Knee injury slowed that down.

As the others said, let's see some pics.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Hi there
Many thanks for the replies on the ''welcome mat''. I have just signed up with photobucket and have rushed a few photos of the bike in the garage, better ones to come though on another thread..

culcune: I cant understand the negativity regarding the chinese bikes especially now with the better established suppliers in the UK. The bike I have bought is a tool to get me to work and back with little cost and I have got brand new bike for my cash as opposed to a second hand 3/5yr old popular named bike! To answer your question, yes that is the same bike I have purchased and nice it is too....

cheesy: I have had about 40yrs on the bike which has kept me fit and healthy all these years. I am slowing down though with age as I am not as fast in a sprint as I used to be. I enjoy climbing hills and get a buzz from it still now. I have never joined a club or done TTs or anything as I tend to be a loner in this department and like to escape and get a fix from everyday life......

Hopefully here is a few photos of the bike

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...psa69ff085.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...ps67b042f2.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7eaf47e2.jpg
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...ps777cb591.jpg

Regards

Leon

Old 04-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #6

Very nice machine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Very nice machine.
Cheers
I am pleased with it and does what it says on the tin You dont need big capacity engines to have fun. This bike has opened my eyes to smaller CC bikes and thinking about buying another bike for off road....

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Hello and Welcome, very nice Bike!
greetings from Munich/Germany
MIchael

Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zontes Rider View Post
You dont need big capacity engines to have fun.
Indeed. Like the popular line, I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #10

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. Your Zontes is a very nice little motorcycle.

Chinese bikes don't get the respect they deserve. I am rapidly approaching 100,000 kilometers on the odometer of my Zongshen 200GY-2.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

Cheers Spudrider

Like the Zongshen 200 work horse and especially the scenery.....

Regards
Leon