Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters

Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Chinese Scooter Service Workshop Manual

A general tune-up/de-restrict manual for 4 stroke Chinese scooters.

http://www.towingdelivery.co.uk/Scoo.../Overview.aspx

Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Reading the first page should scare off some.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Reading the first page should scare off some.

And so it should..... A badly abused '97 Yamaha (MBK Booster) with 3X the mileage is a better scooter (here) than a badly abused 2007 Saga.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Excellent timing. I have the carb from my Pastor's Saga in the garage right now. It hasn't run right since a minor spill, so I'm hoping it's just the float level. I bought two new pilot jets to try, but I'm only guessing, since the stock pilot jet wasn't stamped. :roll: I picked up a 38 and a 40.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 AM   #5

Check the accelerator pump for operation, if he went down on the throttle side the pump cam could be bent, not much of a thing....it resides behind the throttle cable wheel (on the throttle shaft), pushes on a lever, which in turn pushes the plunger.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/Carb...&category=468#

I am told the standard pilot jet is a 35 with a 38 being the replacement. (it's a hard call)....they run these things lean (at an idle) to pass emissions, and cover up the effects of lean with an accelerator pump. If I found I could control the idle mixture with the air screw, I'm not too sure I would be hasty to change the pilot jet, of course that kind of goes out the window if the accelerator pump isn't working/working properly.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks for your response.

He went down on the left side (at low speed), and there were only some scratches on the bodywork. Surprising really, because I expected that plastic to shatter.

I removed the accelerator pump and inspected the diaphragm, all seems to be in order there. The linkage that actuates the pump is still with the bike, so I'll take the time to inspect that upon reassembly.

I picked up a new pilot because they're so cheap and easy to try. Also, I removed the ridiculous air box and installed an open element air cleaner, so it might need a richer pilot circuit. We'll see. When I tried to tune the carb before he dumped it, I couldn't get any perceptible change from the mixture screw.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I picked up a new pilot because they're so cheap and easy to try. Also, I removed the ridiculous air box and installed an open element air cleaner, so it might need a richer pilot circuit. We'll see. When I tried to tune the carb before he dumped it, I couldn't get any perceptible change from the mixture screw.
With an "open" air filter:
You have to vent the valve cover long and high (so oil doesn't get pumped out).
I'd be looking towards a #85-88 main jet (checking the carb for diaphragm restriction, as per earlier link)

Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the venting tip. I tried to buy an 85 and 88 yesterday, but they were out of stock. Hoping to try another Honda dealer today.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #9

Also, if it has what is called a "twice air system" hanging in the way of an easy change of the spark plug and hooked to the air breather, or ex air breather (and we know as an EGR valve, well, ok, not really an EGR valve, an air injection valve into the exhaust system to complete combustion in) the catalytic converter in the muffler (this being the reason the mufflers are so expensive).

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

It's like an in-between model. It does have an AIR device, but no cat. I'm tempted to get rid of the device, but I can't see that it's hurting anything. There is nothing in the way of the spark plug.

I'm planning on opening up the outlet spout of the muffler; it's really small.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #11

You may find the cat is in the muffler.

They seem to dump the exhaust into the cat inside the muffler, force the exhaust through a 90 bend, dumping the exhaust near the front of the casing, and hoping it comes out the small outlet at the rear.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #12

Thanks for that. I'll be sure to properly explore the inside of the muffler and take pics.

Since I couldn't find a bigger main jet locally, I just put the 40 pilot in and moved the clip on notch down on the needle. I also adjusted the flot to be level or just slightly higher (as viewed upside down), since the level looked a bit low. I confirmed that the tab is properly centered on the accelerator pump, and it's actuating smoothly. I'll bolt the stock muffler on in the morning and see if there's any improvement. I don't want to make too many changes at once, lest I might not be able to quantify what I've done.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Scooter Manuals: There are 2 you can order through most professional Motorcycle Companies. If you have any troubles.... call and ask us to mail order one for you.... at (916) 922-3333 Mon-Sat 10-6 Pacific Time.

Chinese, Taiwanese & Korean Scooters. 50, 100, 125, 150 & 200cc Twist & Go. Printed by Haynes #4768 $48

Or

Scooters: Automatic Transmission Models 50-250cc carbureted Models Printed by Haynes #2760 $37

Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #14

it would be nice if someone had it loaded as I hate these sites that say they will give you manuals and then you have to sign up or download some other stuff to run your computer so they can spy on you... trash.. and then after that the program would not load due to a problem..