Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I was recently trying to drill out a slow jet with a 61-80 numbered drill set (and a pin vise), when it all went pear shaped on me. I couldn't make any sense out of what was happening with the motor, since it was behaving like it was getting way more fuel than I was providing. It hit me a few days later; the drill bits were incorrect from the factory. I had drilled the jet out way too far.

I took each bit out and measured with a vernier, and discovered that of the 19 bits in the index, I only had six sizes (which were triplicated). I've learned to measure the bit before I happily drill away, so I don't unwittingly go too far.

I didn't think I'd have any success in filling a slow jet with solder. Since I had another virginal jet, I drilled it to the correct size (according to Mr.Vernier) and the motor was happy.
I used a micrometer as well since I did not trust the size of the drills as indicated.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #32

I had a chance to do some more research on the issue and now believe the jetting changes I made are appropriate (117 Main).

I have 2 identical bikes, a white one and a black one. The black one was the one that had the problem. I have since rejected the white one to be identical to the black one and it runs perfectly, without any hiccups. I have taken it on some sustained (indicated) 65 mph runs with no problems.This leads me to believe that the jetting is not the problem with the black bike which still hiccups.

So the next likely problem would be the installed air injector emission control.I know there is a permanent way to block it off with a plate but does anyone know if you can temporarily disabled it by simply disconnecting and plugging the vacuum port and hose? I would like to isolate that as being a problem before I take any further measures. Thanks again for the input.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I was recently trying to drill out a slow jet with a 61-80 numbered drill set (and a pin vise), when it all went pear shaped on me. I couldn't make any sense out of what was happening with the motor, since it was behaving like it was getting way more fuel than I was providing. It hit me a few days later; the drill bits were incorrect from the factory. I had drilled the jet out way too far.

I took each bit out and measured with a vernier, and discovered that of the 19 bits in the index, I only had six sizes (which were triplicated). I've learned to measure the bit before I happily drill away, so I don't unwittingly go too far.

I didn't think I'd have any success in filling a slow jet with solder. Since I had another virginal jet, I drilled it to the correct size (according to Mr.Vernier) and the motor was happy.
there are 2 types of "number drills'
one type is hole dia... the other
is hole area....

what type were you useing....???
77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 12-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #34

By the way - if anyone needs an extra 112 jet let me know because I have 2 of them I won't use. They would probably help wake up a stock bike or a bike with a pipe that lives at higher altitude. Free to the first 2 requests.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrob View Post
So the next likely problem would be the installed air injector emission control.I know there is a permanent way to block it off with a plate but does anyone know if you can temporarily disabled it by simply disconnecting and plugging the vacuum port and hose? I would like to isolate that as being a problem before I take any further measures. Thanks again for the input.
Yes that's not a problem. Iam doing the same thing myself.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #36

Cool, I will give that a try this week.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:08 AM   #37

Quote:
does anyone know if you can temporarily disabled it by simply disconnecting and plugging the vacuum port and hose
The only way to guarantee it's not flowing is to seal off the connection. Nothing permanent or difficult, just put a cap on instead of the hose or something in the hose to seal it off. Not the little vacuum hose, the one at the head that actually feeds air to the port, this will eliminate all possibilities of air flowing into the exhaust. While I doubt that the air injection does anything to performance, I see the potential for it to rob some of the scavenging effect during valve overlap and change tuning effects; haven't tested the theory. If there was a plate installed where the gasket goes it would maximize the blocking of pulses a little more than a cap/plug on the hose fitting, but probably an unmeasurable difference. Ideally the air hole would be filled at the exhaust port so that it's not existent, but that's much more involved.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #38

Good point, I will take the extra precaution.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
there are 2 types of "number drills'
one type is hole dia... the other
is hole area.
Never heard of this. Do you have a link to some reference so I can read about it? The area would be hugely different than diameter and should be relatively easy to spot when looking at bits, but I'd like to learn about it.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #40

Quote:
By the way - if anyone needs an extra 112 jet let me know because I have 2 of them I won't use. They would probably help wake up a stock bike or a bike with a pipe that lives at higher altitude. Free to the first 2 requests.
Very cool. I might, but I'll wait to see what I'm gonna do with mine.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
Never heard of this. Do you have a link to some reference so I can read about it? The area would be hugely different than diameter and should be relatively easy to spot when looking at bits, but I'd like to learn about it.
X2. I was definitely using bits where the diameter was referenced, as confirmed by the vernier caliper.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #42

I am having a similar issue with mine. It has only happened twice, once yesterday morning and once this afternoon, and both times in the higher gears. I am practically at sea level so I highly doubt that jetting is the issue. Aside from the jetting, any idea what it could be?

Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #43

I believe the stock bikes are jetted on the lean side for emissions. Being near sea level gives lots of air available and if it's cool where you are that'll add to even more available air (density) and might be enough to have you on the ragged edge of too lean.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
I believe the stock bikes are jetted on the lean side for emissions.
Definitely. I've never seen a CB come other than totally leaned out. My neighbor's new TT250 isn't too bad...and we're at 3000'. We'll end up putting a Mikuni on it anyway, just for the jetting options.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachAdventure View Post
I am having a similar issue with mine. It has only happened twice, once yesterday morning and once this afternoon, and both times in the higher gears. I am practically at sea level so I highly doubt that jetting is the issue. Aside from the jetting, any idea what it could be?
I'd throw a fatter main jet in; two steps larger should do the trick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer