Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2024, 05:29 PM   #1

Wanting an adventure styled scooter

As the title says, I am looking at getting an adventure scooter for longer distances and of course being able to off road it. I'm not afraid to build one up to be an adventure scooter as that's quite normal to have to do. Any good cheap scooters that won't put me in the hole I can do this with?
Pod filter, Denso 4099, Rotella T4 15w-40
2021 Vitacci Bullet
85/33 jets, 5g roller weights, 80cc big bore

Old 01-03-2024, 05:45 PM   #2

maybe a ruckus clone...(what I would call a scooter)

the adv/offroad scooter segment is next to non existent, But a ruckus somewhat looks the part...finding some tires with tread that fit and perform in the muck might be a challenge though.
Something like this...

https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...r-street-legal

Old 01-03-2024, 05:51 PM   #3

the biggest issue will be going offroad without a clutch for control...

But for the ADV style dirt roads and distance the frame looks decent enough to strap stuff onto...

People go around the world on Vespas so not going to say it cant be done...

Old 01-23-2024, 04:31 AM   #4

Old 01-23-2024, 02:04 PM   #5

RPS Condor 150 is a good base.

Old 01-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #6

I'd be more inclined to call a grom clone a mini bike not a scooter.

also depends if you want the 50cc option due to licensing or other factors...

Old 01-23-2024, 07:43 PM   #7

A no longer active YT channel but some good content.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:15 PM   #8

The only adventure scooter in can think of is the Lifan KPv 150.https://www.venommotorsportsusa.com/...-fuel-injected
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-23-2024, 09:42 PM   #9

I can see that no one is following Itchy Boots.

She has readjusted the term "adventure bike" in my mind.

She is in Africa now. Riding "roads" that redefine the word. That is after the trip through South and Central America.

The only motorbikes other than her own Honda CRF300 are the 150cc/125cc Chinese motorcycles and scooters that swarm the 3rd world roads. Many of them never see asphalt and spend their lives bouncing between potholes and waist deep puddles that abbreviate what they call "roads".

Almost each episode she is passed or passes a scooter loaded with 3 people and a 100 pound sack of rice somewhere on a mud track deep in the Congo. None of them have decided they need to trade up to an "adventure bike". All of them seem to get where they are going and often stop to help Itchy Boots with her Honda adventure bike problems.

As stated above, Vespas go round the world and have for a couple of generations. Nathan The Postman rode a Honda 90 from Australia to London.

Most of the world goes where they need to with what they have and consider it just another trip. Throw some cheap saddle bags on whatever scooter you decide to buy zip tie a milk crate to the carrier frame, fill the under-seat compartment with food and water and take a trip.

As for "other adventure scooters" almost every mfg makes one, we just don't get them here in the states. Yamaha has one as does Suzuki and there is the Honda X series. The only difference I have noticed between the Honda Cub and the Trail is a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket and tire tread.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:52 PM   #10

The question is if Dabby40 was looking for a 50cc due to licensing and registration and perhaps 100mpg...

Perhaps there are physical limitations which require a full automatic drive.

Nathan rode a CT110 postie which is capable of about 55mph. Ed March C90 had a few chinsy pitbike heart transplants along the way as well as an XL185 suspension upgrade by the time he hit Columbia.

Though I would still be inclined to call these bikes and not scooters.

Noraly on the 300l might be having some issues in Africa but probably still an easy fix compared to any BMW GS breakdown.

I agree the CG125-250 is the worlds motorcycle engine is everywhere and cheap.

However what is an "Adventure Styled Scooter" and is the Style more important than actually going on an adventure....?

Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #11

"Most of the world goes where they need to with what they have and consider it just another trip. Throw some cheap saddle bags on whatever scooter you decide to buy zip tie a milk crate to the carrier frame, fill the under-seat compartment with food and water and take a trip."

A while back I saw an interview with the pres. of Royal Enfield. He was asked what the greatest challenge of his engineering staff was. His reply was that the people of India consider every bike a universal tool. They expect to use if for commuting, touring long distances, off roading, and farm work. Specialty bikes do not exist in their minds.

Itchy Boots posted a new video today. She is in the Central African Republic. At minute 16 in the video she passes a long line of native ridden bikes on the side of a mud track that goes forever. If you slow down the speed and look closely at the line of grounded bikes you will count at least 4 different standard scooters among the assorted motorcycles the locals are riding. Anything that looks like an "adventure bike" in that grouping is scarce and if one were ever to be on an "adventure track" that certainly is one.

Some adventures happen on the dirt, some on pavement. It appears that a standard scooter, r a standard motorcycle, can do both if called on to do so.

I have 4 bikes. A Himalayan, a Chinese dual sport, a 150cc scooter and a "50cc" scooter. I live in Kentucky and have limited access to actual "off roading". Fact being that I have to trailer my bikes to get to off road destinations.

Still, I consider loading up my Dual sport or my 150cc scooter with gear and goodies and making the run down KY HY127 from the Ohio river to the Cumberland River on the TN state line an accomplishment and an "adventure". It is an overnight trip that can be made by camping or a motel stay and there is the ride back which makes it a 2 day overnight trip on two lane and backroads, even if they are paved.

In comparison, I consider a run from home to the nearest real town 20 miles away, on my 50cc, an adventure. Just riding that thing around the back roads and surviving is an adventure!

As for the "adventure scooter" I am confused at the feeling that there are none or that they are much different from the standard scooter, or that it matters.

My 150cc beast was bought used and had been scuffed slightly. I patched a couple of cracks with fiberglass and shot $20 worth of Krylon camo paint on it and mounted a 30L cargo box and some cheap "leather" saddle bags and have been driving it like that for 3 years. It easily holds gear and food for an overnight camp and my only complaint is the small fuel tank. Needless to say I am not concerned over what anyone thinks of its looks, or me for riding it for that matter.

I could put heavy duty shocks and knobby tires on it but I don't need too for what I do.