Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Electrical Problems with TAOTAO ATA250e

I asked my daughters boyfriend to install a new battery in an ATA250e. After he installed it, it would not turn over and the indicator lights would not come one. I went to check it out and the fuse was blown. I had another fuse and put it on and it still would not turn over and the lights still did not come one. I checked this fuse and it was now blown. I started looking and he had reversed the polarity on the battery. Yes the positive was on the negative and the vice versa. I took it out, hooked it up to the trickle charger and made sure the battery was ok and it was. I swapped out the fuse again and hooked it back up right and still no lights or turning over. I tried to jump start it and it still would not work. Could he have blown something else? I'm kind of stumped on this one. If the fuse blew, how could it go any further down the line and blow something else?

I appreciate an help on this one.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

I would just purchase a new regulator/rectifier and a new CDI, both are cheap. You also need to go over the entire wiring harness and look for any burnt wires. Next thing to check would be the stator. Does it have kick start?

/

Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #3

Holy cow 50% chance of getting it right.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

I know Holy Cow. Not sure his chances of marrying her are any better.

Adjuster, I'm not sure the Regulator/rectifier or the CDI would have an effect on the indicator lights not working either. I'm going to follow ALL the wires tonight and see if maybe something is loose or cut or burnt somewhere. It does not have a kick start. Like I said, no power to anything.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckred17 View Post
I know Holy Cow. Not sure his chances of marrying her are any better.

Adjuster, I'm not sure the Regulator/rectifier or the CDI would have an effect on the indicator lights not working either. I'm going to follow ALL the wires tonight and see if maybe something is loose or cut or burnt somewhere. It does not have a kick start. Like I said, no power to anything.
fuse right after battery. mine was pulled apart inside..looked good,, but wasn't, I removed it to find it bad.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Thanks Tony Rader. I tried that first. There is actually an extra fuse in the little case it is in and I tried another fuse from another 250e that was working and it still did not work. Ordered a rectifier/regulator and it was the wrong one. I have a new one on the way. I also noticed that the first stop after the fuse is the starter relay and have ordered one of those.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Tony Rader. I tried that first. There is actually an extra fuse in the little case it is in and I tried another fuse from another 250e that was working and it still did not work. Ordered a rectifier/regulator and it was the wrong one. I have a new one on the way. I also noticed that the first stop after the fuse is the starter relay and have ordered one of those.

If you have a meter I will bet you have a weak connection that the surge of power blew out.. If I remember correctly the voltage goes from the key to the pick up coils,, then voltage reg.. I will look over some prints.. I have time.. I will get back to you..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

That would be great. I noticed on one of your other posts that this is a linhai engine and not a TAOTAO. Probably why I got the wrong regulator.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

Speckred17

The problem I have with this issue is not starting is one thing. BUT you said no lights no power, none notta... not that it would not crank.. look at this diagram I barrowed for time like this.. the power goes to the switch... then to the lights... if the light switch is made (in neutral ) you should have a light..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200ccRicardoATVWiringDiagram[1].jpg (48.9 KB, 14153 views)

Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #10

So now the challenge.. do you have a ohm meter? I would check ground to the frame. should be ZERO... then check for voltage past the battery. like at the key connector.. You can call me directly if you would like.. I am a retard,, but I fix and program all that moves for a living.. 616*227*6969

I will search for a better print..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #11

Ok in the ROKATV manual that has the same motor we have it says on page 15 of 16 " self-recovered over load protector" PSZI-X will shut off incase of overload, and reset when overload is no longer present.. or meaning that..

So being a thermal overload, it switched off and on so many times that now it is fried in my thought.. These are like old car turn signals blinkers they heat and open, cool and shut,,, well the battery being connected for soo long it just burnt it up.. now where that switch is .... hum... not sure,, but that explains what you are seeing..

here is a link to the manual so you can download it..

http://www.atvsnetweb.net/asset/manu...ATV-60-250.pdf

http://www.kazumausaonline.com/roket...l-p-11598.html

first one is manual.. second is other stuff

Last edited by Tonyrader; 04-10-2016 at 10:50 PM. Reason: edit my retarded spelling

Old 04-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #12

Quote:
...that this is a linhai...
Many linhai don't had "AC source" in stator. Fed wrong polarity to DC ignitor may f***ed it ... CDI's standby current tells the situation: NO=100% f***ed http://translate.google.com/translat...3D2&edit-text= 34#

Old 04-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #13

no [power

HELLO... ok... so first the power goes from the battery ... to the fuse holder... check power on the outlet side of the fuse wire.. it goes to the key... usually red wire... then the key output to the bike wiring system... ... can you jump the solenoid to start the bike..??? ... a lot of time it is the simple stuff... the key on power is what controls the lights and stuff.. check the brake switch on the handle bars as well... is there power there?? it has to activate the safety switch for power for the solenoid starting.. I would not be buying any stuff yet until I know what is wrong..... unless you want some spares for the future

Old 04-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
HELLO... ok... so first the power goes from the battery ... to the fuse holder... check power on the outlet side of the fuse wire.. it goes to the key... usually red wire... then the key output to the bike wiring system... ... can you jump the solenoid to start the bike..??? ... a lot of time it is the simple stuff... the key on power is what controls the lights and stuff.. check the brake switch on the handle bars as well... is there power there?? it has to activate the safety switch for power for the solenoid starting.. I would not be buying any stuff yet until I know what is wrong..... unless you want some spares for the future

Yep that was my point.. It has to be a fuseable link, or something stupid. runa wire to the key off the battery. see what that does;;

Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 PM   #15

Most of these don't have fusible links. At least none ive ever pulled apart had one and chances are the fuse would have blow long before frying a wire as long as the large battery cables to the starter and chassis where connected. If you'd missed one those I'd be looking for some burnt wires though.

Luckily almost everything on the diagram would operate fine with positive ground or negative ground with the exception of the CDI and regulator. That's where I'd be looking first.