Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #46

A Short Update!

The X-Ranger 200 is back in my shop and ready for disassembly and the needed repairs. This weekend, I'll be swapping the forks and removing the bodywork and fuel tank. The stock rear rack has been removed and will not go back on the bike. A new rack will eventually replace it.

My plan for the subframe repair, is to use a piece of steel pipe to lever the frame up and twist it back into shape. Using the weight of the bike against the subframe to bend it. Detailed measurements will be taken first to get it close to where it is now, only straighter! I'd also like to clean the engine and checkout the engine leak closer. After the source of the leak is found, I'm going to order TW200 seals fom the local Yamaha dealer. Hopefully, these seals will work in the Zongshen cloned engine. I have completely given up on the QLink dealers. They have never called me back after my numerous calls to them. The brakelines, cables and other stock parts will be replaced with other 'better' parts as needed. This way I don't have to depend on questionable QLink dealers. I have no faith in them, as they seem to not even be able to get parts for their own machines.

Carburetor adjustments are also going to be done. I'd like to do the rejetting and modify the muffler with a bigger outlet. I may get one of these off ebay for the muffler.

Yesterday, I purchased a new matte black off-road type helmet and new goggles for $59.99.

The new wheels and new rear disc brake conversion are going to be done later!
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #47

this might be a cool addition

1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #48

Thats just about where I'm losing my hair right now.

Can that be attached to my balding head?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:39 AM   #49

Saturday morning and part of the afternoon was spent on the X-Ranger disassembly. The bike is totally stripped and the forks have been swapped out. The frame on this bike is trashed. After looking at it and measuring it from every possible angle, I am convinced this frame was put together wrong at the Zongshen factory. They tried to fix it by welding the mounting tab for the rear fender off to one side. Short of cutting the frame up and rewelding it, the thing is fragged. At this point, I am convinced I need a new frame. That's the bottomline. I have been in contact with Thomas Spiers from TXX Motorsports and he seems willing to help me get the parts I need. He is going to email me sometime today with a price quote for a new frame. IF the quote is reasonable, I will go ahead and buy it. Anything under $300 seems reasonable to me. The local QLink dealer quoted me a price of $500. I'd hate to spend that much and my wife would hate it even more!

The frame on the X-Ranger is braced very well. Cutting it up may work but replacing the frame would be much easier. I suppose I have nothing too lose by cutting it up and trying to bend it back into shape. Man, I hate to think about getting into that!

Apparently, I have caught the flu or a bad cold. So, I never got back into the shop to take pictures of the offending crap frame. Right now, I'm lower than a snake's belly about this bike! However, as I have posted before, the good news is that I have less than $100 in this bike after parting out my first chinabike. I can really afford to do whatever is necessary to fix it. Either a new frame or cutting up this one. It really is a good bike and the overall quality is very nice.

On a side note: the QLink dealer did a horrible job of fixing the positive lead on the battery terminal when they had the bike. Bare wires and a shotty crimp job on a junk terminal end. Friday morning, I called both the WV QLink dealers, AGAIN! I have been trying to get parts from them for months now. They still have no idea where my parts are, if they have them or not, if they were ever ordered or not and have never called me back after numerous calls by me, to them! How do these people stay in business? I don't understand what a customer is supposed to do. I have money and I'm willing to spend it. Is my money no good? Are they doing so well that they don't need my money? Are they reading this thread and think I am trashing them? I have never reported anything that wasn't true! These people have done absolutely nothing to help me out with this bike! :roll: Hopefully, TXX Motorsports will!

Sorry! Rant off!

SamM

TXX Motorsport DB-R200
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II