Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

rsx-200e model AKA 2007 Redcat rsx-200

Ok guys,
I am thinking to buy a 'new' 2007 redcat rsx-200 dual sport. I will be doing very little, if any off road riding, very little highway, most riding will be country roads.
What do you guys think of this bike?
I am NOT mechanically inclined, so is it hard to find anyone to do major repairs/maintenance on these bikes?
(I can change oil, spark plugs, but have no idea on how to change/repair chains, etc).
The reason I am thinking about this bike is the price. Much lower than brand names and the wife will not let me spend money on brand name for country road riding :-(. Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #2

Do you have a dealer nearby? If you're not mechanically inclined then you will need to have someone who is put the thing together.... and you also will have to keep tabs on bolts loosening up and stuff.

To be honest, you may be better off buying a used big brand bike. Should be able to find one for similar money that's in decent shape -- especially for what you're looking to do with it.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 01-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #3

I am going to buy it from a dealer, have a dealer within 10 miles from my house and he sells them already assembled and tested. I have tried looking in the Louisville, Ky area for used brand name bikes and anything decent is almost the same money and a new brand name.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #4

The dealer where I bought my Tank 200 is a Redcat dealer. He said the motors are made by Lifan which was good news. He also said that Redcat was great with warranty issues. Also, there have been a couple post saying the redcat 150cc dirtbike was a good product. However he told me that redcat didn't make a 200cc dualsport anymore. Have they come out with a new bike, or is the one he is selling an older one that just hasn't sold yet? If thay is the case, you might be able to get a good discount on it.
I was just at the dealer yesterday. He told me the big news in dealerland was that Tank and Redcat had merged. Should, l hope, be good news for me, cause the longer Tank stays in business, the better chance I have of getting parts.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #5

actually they are 2006 models which must be in a warehouse somewhere and have never sold. The dealer has told me he is currently out but should have some more in tomorrow or early next week. The price is less than $1500 which seems like a good price to me.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #6

How good are the tanks and can they be legally driven on roads?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #7

My Tank is an 05 model. It looks real similar to all of the other chinabikes sold in 04, 05. It has regular, not inverted, forks which I prefer. A KPH speedometer, no tach and disc brakes front and rear. It has a zongshen 167 motor. It now has about 140 kilometers on it, seems to start easier all the time. I lost a bolt holding the front disc brake on and the tankcover plastic has cracked are the only problems. I like it!
For it to be registered in NC, it has to pass a DMV inspection. The dealer had DMV come out and look at his other Tank 200 and they gave it a pass. Then I take the MCO to a DMV office and get my tag. Hopefully it will be that easy. I took my bike back by the dealers yesterday, he is going to get the tank plastics replaced under warranty, and have the DMV guys come by and inspect it. Hopefully I will then be able to tag it.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #8

Im not sure what dealer you were referring to, but if you're in the Louisville/Southern Indiana area, you might check out Drummond Powersports (http://www.drummondpowersports.com) in Memphis, IN (about 16 miles from the river).
Last time I was there he had a blue Roketa 200 enduro.
The guy who owns that is a friend of mine - very honest, and he makes sure the bikes are right before they sell - adding inline fuel filters, changing oil, and all that good stuff. He's not a fly-by-night seller.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
I am going to buy it from a dealer, have a dealer within 10 miles from my house......
Well then let me change my tune... I think you should go talk to the dealer and if you're comfortable that they can help you when maintanence issues arise then go for it.

Make sure this dealer is going to be able to get you temp tags for the road --- if they can't, then I would guess they aren't really a dealer and just some guy throwing bikes together to sell.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

Hey drummerdave, you related to drummondpowersports. That is exactly who my dealer will be. I have been very impressed by his website and talked to him on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable. He sold all his 200cc right before XMAS ( I wish I knew he was located in Memphis before XMAS). I drive within a mile of his store twice a day and did not know he was there. I am going to stop by this afternoon and check it out. Like I posted before, he is going to get a shipment in tomorrow or early next week. Thanks for you input

Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc83
Hey drummerdave, you related to drummondpowersports. That is exactly who my dealer will be. I have been very impressed by his website and talked to him on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable. He sold all his 200cc right before XMAS ( I wish I knew he was located in Memphis before XMAS). I drive within a mile of his store twice a day and did not know he was there. I am going to stop by this afternoon and check it out. Like I posted before, he is going to get a shipment in tomorrow or early next week. Thanks for you input

I dont work there or anything, but he's a friend and neigbor.
He just recently moved into that location in Memphis, so it would be easy to miss.
I'll say this much. When I buy, I will be buying from him. He's been selling them for a while now, he knows their quirks, he knows how to fix them, and even knows what jets fit.

Either way, I would make sure he knows you plan to license it for the street. He can get you the MSO filled out correctly so you can get it done the first time.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #12

BTW, where do you live?

Memphis? Henryville, Chas'town?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #13

between Henryville and scottsburg on the backside of the forestry.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #14

Gotcha.

Between Chastown & Sellersburg here.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #15

I used to work at the hospital in Charlestown, know the area quite well, buy horse feed at Hamm's brothers outside of Memphis