Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #466

Well, Photobucket is being persnickety this evening so here is the link to the video on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21499296@N08/15516895601/

A bit lower tone at idle, loud on WOT, and not much different from stock while cruising.

I broke out the crummy Campbell-Hausfeld flux core welder this morning and made 'one-off' brackets for each of the mounting points. The mounting is rigid. I didn't need to modify the H-box at all, just removed the graphite seal and used standard muffler clamps that are hidden behind the heat shield. It was the mounting that was the PITA. I also drew blood a couple times, so I must have done something right.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
...I didn't need to modify the H-box at all, just removed the graphite seal and used standard muffler clamps that are hidden behind the heat shield. It was the mounting that was the PITA. I also drew blood a couple times, so I must have done something right.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #468

Quote:
I'm not married to the heat resistant paint. I may remove it down to the weld and leave it at that. That run is embarrassing, too.
Your standards are higher than mine. Maybe flat black heat paint would suit the transitions and contrast the chrome nicely.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #469

Quote:
Well, Photobucket is being persnickety this evening so here is the link to the video on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/21499296@N08/15516895601/

A bit lower tone at idle, loud on WOT, and not much different from stock while cruising.

I broke out the crummy Campbell-Hausfeld flux core welder this morning and made 'one-off' brackets for each of the mounting points. The mounting is rigid. I didn't need to modify the H-box at all, just removed the graphite seal and used standard muffler clamps that are hidden behind the heat shield. It was the mounting that was the PITA. I also drew blood a couple times, so I must have done something right.

It sounds good. Is it crazy loud at WOT, or are you good with it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Your standards are higher than mine. Maybe flat black heat paint would suit the transitions and contrast the chrome nicely.
You notice I left the paint on there. I completely forgot about it and remembered after an hour ride. Guess it is staying there, now. And I concur with the flat black. That was my first choice but I didn't have any on hand.

Sound on WOT-loud, but not obnoxiously so. I don't need to stay on WOT because the Maggot accelerates faster than most Harleys.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #471

The family truckster.

Found a semi local guy doing a Cafe' job on an 81 Custom and he was selling some of his takeoff parts. Scored an H-Box(part of the tuned exhaust system) and a flawless front fender for $40.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #472

Nicely done! I like some of the café versions, but I wouldn't cut up a nice bike. This one was certainly to your benefit.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #473

Improvement day.

Winter is just about here, so I went out for a short ride to warm things up prior to prepping for winter storage.

Too cold to ride? Nah. Just a tad below freezing.

Back home and ready to change oil. The new adapter is to the left of the filter

Installing the adapter. At about this point is where I'd expect the 'torque enhancer' to fall into the drain pan.

Done.

The oil capacity is increased by about a liter or so. Should run a little cooler in stop and go traffic now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #474

I have one of Murray's oil filter adapters too but it didn't work all that well for me. The larger filters, even with the supposed anti drain back valve, took longer to pump up than I liked after being parked over night. I hate to see the oil light on longer than a second or two. Also I found most of the filters that are supposed to work bottomed out before the O ring made a good seal causing a leak. The NAPA filter (Wix) was one of them. Hope you have better luck than I did. Sure is convenient to stop at the local auto parts store or Walmart and pick up a filter, and it's less messy.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #475

Heck, I plan on stopping at Menards.

I noticed that the filter wouldn't bottom out when I first tried to fit it. Seems that the OD on the ridge of the adapter was a tad much and it wouldn't go in far enough. I hit it with some emery cloth and got it to go in all the way. Was able to get the filter seated then. I will keep an eye on things, though.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #476

Cool upgrade. Greater oil capacity can't hurt.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #477

I like the extra oil capacity, but that filter really looks exposed. Could it be damaged if the bike falls on the right side, or if it is hit by rocks kicked up by the front wheel?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #478

I considered that on my Alaska trip last summer because of the many miles of gravel road. My solution was to wrap a piece of metal flashing around the filter and hold it in place with a hose clamp. At the end of the trip there wasn't even a dent in the sheet metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I like the extra oil capacity, but that filter really looks exposed. Could it be damaged if the bike falls on the right side, or if it is hit by rocks kicked up by the front wheel?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #479

Those were some of my concerns as well, Spud. But, as I found on falling over,handle bar and or cylinder head will hit the ground first. Or me. As far as debris kicked up by the tire, there is a better chance of holing the front engine cover than hitting the filter.

All that said, I cleaned up the original filter housing, and have that in the trunk with a spare stock filter 'cuz ya never know'.*

*Which is why my garage looks like it does.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #480

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220