Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #301

Woo hoo, it's in.

Haven't ridden it yet, but bike starts cold on half choke now and doesn't smell like it's running rich when warm like it has in the past. Apparently, the rev limiter set point has been bumped up, too, cuz I've never seen my half litre lump spin past 10,500 before. Won't ever see it again, either, if I have a lick o' sense.

Cooling fan is working much better now, too. Kicks in at 204F and off at 188F. Whole lot better than I was getting before.

The blue tape on the box is a homage to Finland and the guy who designed and built the cdi.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Woo hoo, it's in.

Haven't ridden it yet, but bike starts cold on half choke now and doesn't smell like it's running rich when warm like it has in the past. Apparently, the rev limiter set point has been bumped up, too, cuz I've never seen my half litre lump spin past 10,500 before. Won't ever see it again, either, if I have a lick o' sense.

Cooling fan is working much better now, too. Kicks in at 204F and off at 188F. Whole lot better than I was getting before.

The blue tape on the box is a homage to Finland and the guy who designed and built the cdi.
New CDI looks right at home there! It's cool that people are still building stuff like that for the classics .

I like the homage to Finland with the tape. I once did the same design (in red and white) on a gas filler door on a Dodge Ramcharger for a fellow that came from there.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #303

I spotted the Findland flag on the CDI before I read your post, and wondered if it was a happy accident. It sounds like the new CDI was well worth the investment.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I spotted the Findland flag on the CDI before I read your post, and wondered if it was a happy accident. It sounds like the new CDI was well worth the investment.
So far, so good. Things even work better when you remember to open the fuel tank petcock.

Only had time for a short 15 miles today, but things worked pretty good. Also taking it a bit easy cuz my knee and tukus is still a bit sore from the unpleasantness of last Saturday.

Ultimate test next Friday and Sunday. 750+ mile round trip from my place in NE IL to my sisters' place outside of Trego, WI and back. All the miles will be on county, state, and federal roads but no interstate highways. About 8.5hr each way. The longest stretch of four lane I'll be on is about 90 miles on US 53 between Eau Claire and Trego. Have a better chance of interacting with a bear* than another vehicle on that stretch of road.

*Or a homemade cream pie at the Norske Nook in Rice Lake. Yum, yum, yum.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #305

Well, crap. Parked the Maggot in the driveway after riding home from work yesterday. Walk to the mailbox. Walk back and see the bike doing a really good imitation of a BSA or Hardly Ableson and marking it's territory.

Spun the final drive seal out of the rear cover and into the boot. Checked about a dozen big name suppliers, "part obsolete" or "not available".

Check a few lesser known powersports outlets and found one in Roanoke, VA and one in Terra Haute, IN. Bought both.

Two choices in replacing it. A) drop the engine, or B) pull the drive train. I need to do rear shoes anyway, so I vote B.

As you were.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #306

Sounds like a blessing that it made the long journey before bleeding on the driveway.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Sounds like a blessing that it made the long journey before bleeding on the driveway.
Amen!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #308

WnG & Spud-d'accord!

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #309

Dang, mislead by the place in Indiana. They don't have the seal. Still haven't heard from the place in Virginia.

So, being the proactive guy I am(when I'm not procrastinating) I started calling some local Honda dealers. First and closest was no help at all other than to tell me they didn't have one.

Second place didn't have it either, but will be getting more of my business in the future. The parts guy asked what I had and I told him. He said, "Ummm." I said I have a part number. He said, "Great, shoot." I tell him, he says "Nada, but hold on. Let me check the national database." I wait maybe five seconds and he comes back with "I found seven dealers in the midwest with that seal in stock. Here are phone numbers for the closest ones. They're in Wisconsin, though." I reply, "Yah, hey dere. Go Pack."
I called the closest place that was still three hours away. I spoke with Brandon at the parts counter. He said "The confuser says I do have one in stock. Let me physically check, though, and I'll call you back."

Less than five minutes later, Brandon calls me back and says "I have your seal in my dirty little paws." Only charged me $5 shipping, which is four bucks less than everyone else who didn't have the seal was charging.Seal should be here on Monday at the latest.

For local guys, here is who I dealt with,
http://www.foxvalleycycles.com/
http://www.cedarcreekmotorsports.com/

Fox Valley went the extra mile by checking the national dealer database. Cedar Creek physically checked that the part was in stock and didn't screw me on shipping.

I'm doing a 'wait and see' with the place in VA. If it turns out they don't have the seal, I'll just cancel the order. If they do have it, I got me a spare.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #310

Thanks for the report of good customer service, Cheesy!

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
being the proactive guy I am(when I'm not procrastinating)
I might put that on the fridge.

Thanks for letting us know about the good service you received.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #312

No seal from VA either. Oh, well.

At least I positively have one coming from WI.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #313

The new seal showed on Monday.

Too bad Monday was also the same day that the Chicago area began its' imitation of Miami in July.It was quite a wilty day in the shop. ICK!!!!! best describes it. Which meant the garage would be a sauna when I got home. So I opted instead for a cool shower, t-shirt and shorts, sandals, a rib-eye with corn on the cob, a very cold beer and said "taheckwitit". The bike can wait until I get back from the one day project I have here in Sault Ste. Marie, MI.

On another note, I've always been a firm believer in ATGATT, but I've never owned a proper jacket for summer riding. On the trip to Trego and cool morning commutes, I wore my Aussie Railroad Issue Safety Jacket. To say I look like a high speed traffic barrel would be an understatement. That jacket does everything but breathe. After downing half my Camelback sitting in traffic in the Dells on the return trip, I decided to upgrade. I sprung for this.

http://tinyurl.com/q6skr5w

I was looking to get an Xelement CF-509 jacket but that appears to be discontinued. Leastwise, no one has it in stock. I was looking at a lot of other jackets in that price range, too, but apparently you need to be either Paul Williams sized or John Goodman sized because that's all that seems to be in stock. Some armor, even cheap armor, is better than a t-shirt.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #314

I'm glad you got the seal, Cheesy.

That's a nice jacket. I was going to order one, but they are out of size large. I don't want to hijack your thread. However, since you were just looking, can you recommend another, summer jacket which is available in size large?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #315

I'm not kidding when I say that Paul Williams was on my tv when I read that! Smokey and the Bandit; 1977 goodness.

Please let us know how the jacket is in the heat.