Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #1

Traumatized by Wreck

I just stopped by Taco Bell for lunch. I didn't see it happen, but there was a 4 door Jeep vs Suzuki motorcycle accident in the street just outside the window. ATGATT was not followed by the guy riding the bike, and most of his clothes including cowboy boots were swept up by the responding police. I didn't see a tire skid mark, except from the Jeep after the impact.

2016 Magician 250

Old 01-05-2023, 04:25 PM   #2

I survived more than 40 motorcycles over the years. I count myself lucky. This is why I avoid roads now. They just don't see us.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:47 PM   #3

It's never easy to see something like that. Just keep your wits about you and always think the car doesn't see you, is drunk, and on a cell phone.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-06-2023, 01:40 AM   #4

You have to ride like you are invisible.

I have one intersection on my daily route that I know if a car is sitting at the stop sign they will pull out in front of me almost every time, even if I am wearing reflective gear.

Part of it is human physiology, drivers with their heads at specific angles can actually not see a motorcycle.

I once saw a show where a British motor cop was talking about being hit on his police bike. The bikes are safety yellow BMW 1250 models. The officers are dressed in safety yellow from head to toe. You can not maintain more "presence" than that.

The lady that ran over him said she did not see him.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:00 AM   #5

I'm a snowbird and I have a Chonda at both homes. In ND I can be off road in a couple of miles. In AZ, I have to ride for 15 to 20 miles in traffic to get off road and I refuse to get on the main highways around here. I always try to ride like I'm invisible, but I have still had to lock up brakes and do emergency turns to avoid bad drivers around Phoenix. My wife even refuses to drive a car around here because of the bad drivers. I think I'm going to get a hitch carrier for AZ so I don't have to deal with them.

2016 Magician 250

Old 01-07-2023, 11:27 AM   #6

Old 01-07-2023, 01:25 PM   #7

That guy has great videos for motorcyclists, but they don't see you even if you ARE going the speed limit.

And yes, I assume they don't see me. I sometimes swerve to get attention, sometimes I even wave, and go slower than the speed limit wherever there is a car which is usually at intersections but they are everywhere. Driveways, roadside parking, dirt road turnoffs. Everywhere. My head is looking right and left looking for them.

My fear of them has chased me off the road, and I have lots of fun there

Old 01-08-2023, 10:18 AM   #8

Interesting theory.

Old 01-08-2023, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
That guy has great videos for motorcyclists, but they don't see you even if you ARE going the speed limit.

There was a video for that too

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 01-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #10

If cagers are too busy with their phones-talking or texting-, or looking at the giant screens now on almost all newer cars, they are not paying attention to driving. Regardless of theories on the brain and eyes, the issue is distracted driving.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:16 AM   #11

I've been riding bikes every sense I was 7 years old and I am 70 now.... and I have learned by talking to the many people that have inadvertently pulled out in front of me
that they didn't see me.... or rather they didn't look or they looked, but it did not register
because they are expecting to see a car or truck NOT a motorcycle....
it is definately a must to drive like they don't see you..because most of the time they do not ! when California made it a law that motorcycles had to have their head lights on....it actually helped quite a bit.... but not as much as it should have, simply because people will look, but it will not register in their brain that that is an oncoming motorcycle so don't pull out now.... it's like their brain is deciding weather that is a hazard coming or not while they are pulling out.....
...If I had a dollar for every time a car pulled out in front of me I'ed be a rich man today
it is a verry common occurrence, after a while you don't even get mad about it because it happens all the time ! don't let that deture you from riding let it make you ride more carefully !.... I've had one guy turn infront of me and I hit him, dumped the bike on a turn because it drug bottom, and slipped and fell in las vegas on a friday night because everyone washes their car with soap and water on friday.... ALL the water running across the road there is soapy and very slick ! ...
but I have had people pull out in front of me sense I began riding.... they don't look !
so plan on that ! if you see a car in the turn lane be real carefull chances are he does not see you.... flashing your lights is a good idea and do the speed limmit any faster and your toast... you can always go faster when you get away from the idiots but if you go fast while your near them they will get you !
Oh man, I'm sorry I didn't see you !
...... and I yell back No you didn't look... because I was watching your eyes !
or how could you not have seen me you looked right at me !?!?! and you still pulled out !. ( that has happened so many times!)
Your only hope is to drive like they do not see you.... I mean that !
Bob.......

Old 01-21-2023, 11:10 AM   #12

I wear a riding jacket with armor, often uparmoring to CE2. Include boots, gloves, and of course a helmet, and I still feel dumb not wearing riding pants.

I am amazed to see local guys wearing, sandals, t-shirt and shorts. No gloves, no helmet, nothing else.

Geez...

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 01-21-2023, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrills View Post
I am amazed to see local guys wearing, sandals, t-shirt and shorts. No gloves, no helmet, nothing else.
The term for such people is "future organ donors".
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 01-21-2023, 11:44 AM   #14

In 60 years of riding I've had a few crashes but have not been seriously injured. The funniest one was in San Francisco near the Parisian Bakery where I was heading on a small Vespa to get fresh bread for lunch. I pulled into the left hand turn lane and suddenly realized I was laying on the pavement. I wasn't hurt but when I tried to stand up the pavement was so slippery I couldn't get up. On my hands and knees I dragged the scooter to the center of the road and began waving my arms to warn other drivers to avoid the turn lane. One car tried turning and crashed into a sign post. Whatever was spilled on the road was invisible and super slick like silicone or Armour All.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:26 PM   #15

Bob’s got it.

As someone who has never crashed anything on the road at all, in all my life, but has avoided many crashes, I think it really comes down to if you can read what the other traffic is going to do. And guess what they are going to do.

And on top of that expect them to do the unexpected.

Luck has a little bit to do with it. You could be going underneath a bridge and a car flies off the top of it and crushes you. None of us can avoid that one. But a lot of the mundane stuff can be avoided if you are very careful.