Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #1

Nebraska newb checking in.

I'm a 46 year old guy in rural Nebraska. I haven't been on a bike in a long time and am considering a Hawk 250 to get back into it.

It's been 30 years for me. My parents bought me a 70s XR75 in the early 80s. I rode the crap out of that bike, and just never got another as I got older.

I'm not a big guy, 5'9", 140 lbs. Most adult bikes seem pretty big to me, I'm hoping a Hawk will be a good starter bike for me. I do have a dealer in state about 2.5 hours from me that sells them with title and ready to be plated. I'm going tomorrow to check them out. It's the RPS version that they have. They are completely assembled and ready to ride for $1599.

I spend most of my free time in the woods and river bottoms, and I live right near 14,000 acres of public land with trails and just minimum maintenance roads.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #2

and welcome neighbor, I'm just a state over in the CO/WY area, take plenty of pics and let us know how the local dealer is

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Sounds like a good deal.

Sounds like you live in a wonderful area to enjoy a dual sport bike.

We will expect pictures!

Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Thumbs Up

Plains main, these bikes make it possible for the common man, one who may not necessarily want to spend 1000s of dollars on a good old knock around dirt bike , but also with street capabilities. This is what attracted me. Thanks for joining!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-25-2016, 12:30 AM   #5

We have an approved off road site about 10 miles south of Bismarck. It has trees, sand, clay, loam, hills, grass and it is on the Missouri river bottoms.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_30e4.htm

Old 06-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #6

Welcome!

Perhaps you'd care to compare the Hawk with the Storm, as I think one has a lower seat height than the other.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

if you can find one to sit on, do that before buying unless you never stop when you're riding. also look up Adam from RPS on this board, shoot him a priv message asking about the availability of their new Magician 250 (actually same 230 motor). I believe the Magician will have a lower seat height and to my eye, looks more like trials type geometry which works sweet for an off road bike. my bro is 5'9 and he wishes his hawk was a tad shorter but he rides chit you can't hardly walk/crawl thru/across, and up. And he's mid 60's. with a designer metal knee
OTOH, I'm a hair short of 6'4 and the hawk seems like a heavy mountain bike to me either way, sit on one before you buy/order if you can. welcome to the board
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

I went to the dealer today and looked at the 3 Hawks they had in stock. Got to sit on them, start them, and hear them run. When sitting I have to slightly stretch my feet down, but can almost sit flat footed.

The dealer was super friendly and we talked for a long time about the Hawk and bikes in general. He told me he is friends with Charlie that owns Ricky Power Sports and they are going to China together next year.

I'll post some photos and more about our conversation later. He did also mention the Storm as an option for me. They won't have any of those until next month.