Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #1

Compare Hawk to other 250cc enduro bikes?

I see a lot made of the inability of the Hawk maintain extended highway driving. I also see a lot about people taking long highway trips on other 250cc enduro bikes, like the KLR250, WR250, and CRF250.

Are those other bikes in a different league than the Hawk? Is it just a matter of a gearing change? Are all 250cc bikes going to be wound out the max and uncomfortable at 60 mph?

I'm a total motorcycle noob trying to figure out what to get for a first bike. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 150lbs. My plan involves a lot of highway time mixed with back roads for this bike.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

My hawk will do 65, but its not comfortable for more than 20 minutes or so. The other 250 bikes you mentioned will go faster. They have much more power, somewhere in the 28-30hp range vs the 15hp of the hawk.

Comes with the price tag

Old 07-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
I see a lot made of the inability of the Hawk maintain extended highway driving. I also see a lot about people taking long highway trips on other 250cc enduro bikes, like the KLR250, WR250, and CRF250.

Are those other bikes in a different league than the Hawk? Is it just a matter of a gearing change? Are all 250cc bikes going to be wound out the max and uncomfortable at 60 mph?

I'm a total motorcycle noob trying to figure out what to get for a first bike. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 150lbs. My plan involves a lot of highway time mixed with back roads for this bike.

Thanks!
Your are describing a 2016 csc rx3 silver bullet. Fits, price, starter bike, streetability, lower height, perfect first bike.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Your are describing a 2016 csc rx3 silver bullet. Fits, price, starter bike, streetability, lower height, perfect first bike.
Yeah, but the RX3 is more than twice as much as the Hawk. If I were to spend that much I'd be more inclined to go with one of these...

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/G...50GS-117589781

2005 BMW F650GS. I'm seeing a few around that price.

I also see lots of KLR650s around $2000, about the same as a Hawk. I'm not seeing many 250cc bikes in that price range though, and I'm afraid a 650 might be too big for me.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #5

I ride my Hawk on 100 mile round trips. No problems at ask. Now, I'm 340 and my Hawk easily maintains 58, but, I can push it to 62 for extended runs. I love this bike

Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 AM   #6

The bottom line is the Hawk is 70's technology and it's performance reflects that. There is an upside to this "old school" bike. It's super easy and inexpensive to maintain. It's fun to ride also, not because its fast and powerful, rather it harkens back to the day's of my youth riding bikes like the Honda Sport 50 and 90.
I have both a Hawk and a Honda CRF250L. The only similarity between the tow is the 250 designation. The Honda is smooth, comfortable, faster(78mph) with 21 HP and 6 speeds.
The Hawk is none of these yet it is my daily ride.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #7

What the Hawk doesn't have regarding blistering performance, it more than makes up for in rugged durability of the CG motor. They're made to run a very long time on very poor maintenance. It's why they're so successful around the globe.

If you're going to be doing a ton of open highway, I'd not go for any small displacement enduro/dually. If you're not into the RX3, get something larger and used.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

ditto 2LZ

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #9

For a lot of highway use you need a 6 speed gear box on a 250...
thats prob the hawks biggest let down as a true dual sport..
low HP & 5 speeds it always going to be struggling..
the avarage jap 250 with 6 cogs will sit on 100kmph at
around 6000 to 6500 revs.. I have read here the hawk sits at 7500 revs..
where the Hawk is near red line the jappers still have revs/power left..
That takes it's toll on the motor in the long run....

I think the hawk would be a very good town / secondry / back road bike / trail
bike.... where lower speeds are the norm...

my old XR250 sat at 6200 @100kmph
My TTR250 sits at 6300 @ 100kmph

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

My Xf 250 claims to have a whopping 19 hp and I find it pretty comfortable cruising at 65 and I will even push it to 70 for extended ranges so long as there is little to no wind. In a good 25mph desert headwind I struggle to see 60.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Yeah, but the RX3 is more than twice as much as the Hawk. If I were to spend that much I'd be more inclined to go with one of these...

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/G...50GS-117589781

2005 BMW F650GS. I'm seeing a few around that price.

I also see lots of KLR650s around $2000, about the same as a Hawk. I'm not seeing many 250cc bikes in that price range though, and I'm afraid a 650 might be too big for me.
u r right, klr too tall, too heavy for your size, hell, on trails sometimesm its too heavy for me:I 6'3-4 270 lbs

go to youtube, look at the various bike videos, and specially Motocheez's Hawk vids and CSC's TT250 vids.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-04-2016, 01:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post

u r right, klr too tall, too heavy for your size, hell, on trails sometimesm its too heavy for me:I 6'3-4 270 lbs
really.....

I'm 5' 7" 80kgs and think nothing of tossing a
170kg "400lb" Yamaha XT660R around the trails...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 07-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
really.....

I'm 5' 7" 80kgs and think nothing of tossing a
170kg "400lb" Yamaha XT660R around the trails...

probably not your first bike either.. and unless you're a weightlifter, ... plus 170kg YAM is not a 440or so lb KLr. I have an XT600 and its no comparo to the KLR's, (have 3). My bro is about your weight/5'9 still bench's just short of 300lbs and not all that long ago routinely knocked 6' to 6'3 / 220 lb super villian wanabe's on their asses(he's now mellowed a bit).
Several years ago, He was surprise attacked by a huge 300 lb'r black felon (wanted for homicide at the time) in Vegas.
Bro hit him so hard, one shot, gave him a concussion, fellow went straight to emergency room, nearly died. I tell you this cause even my Bro (who is an excellent lifetime offroad rider) has trouble in the gnarlies muscle-fooking a KLR around. If it falls down hill instead of up, takes three men and a small boy to lift one. There's a vid on youtube of a trails competent aussie I think going singletracking on a KLR. when it falls downhill , he can't do a thing untill he finds 2 other guys to help get it back on the track. and don't tell me you never fall. People that don't fall off road, don't ride anywhere worth riding. Even at my size, and I routinely hand-muscle 300-900 lb round bales of hay around the ranch, I am much more careful and deliberate when offroading my KLR's, especially if riding alone.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #14

Thumbs Up

ok, looking at your sig, Pete, I now see by your bike list you r definitely NOT the normal offroader.
Incompetent people do Not ride Montesas (Bro was an Ossa/Bultaco kind of guy)sorry if my post offended you, but I think the OP stated he's a new rider

Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
I'm considering a Hawk for the back roads around my place. I live right at the edge of 14,000 acres of federal land that's just trails and minimum maintenance roads, lots of places to camp. No highway riding to get there, it's basically right out my back door.

Would I be able to carry light camping gear for 1 night, and a passenger (my wife) on dirt roads and trails to the camping spots? Or is that too much load for the Hawk? I weigh 150, my wife is 130.

When I say lightweight camping gear, I'm talking about backpacking gear, not a 30 pack of Budweiser.��
I'm a bit confused here...one post you are looking for a bike for "a lot of highway time" and another post reads "No highway riding".

All I can add is that for a new rider, I wouldn't really recommend either riding highway or riding 2 up, both present challenges not really suited for a new rider IMHO.