Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #1

hawk registration in NC is shot down

well....I'm taking a deep breath and remaining calm. just had the DMV officer at my place to inspect the Hawk for registration. after a call to Raleigh, the Hawk is listed as dirt bike/Off Road on the MCO and Raleigh confirmed that it can not be titled/registered for street use. Holding on to the MCO for proof of ownership and transfer if/when I sell it is fine, but seeing as how I want to tag this thing to ride back roads, I'm stuck.

If anyone has any NC experience to add to this, please let me know. otherwise, I'll be selling it and buying something that suits my needs.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear of your problems getting a license plate. It seems more and more states are starting to make it difficult, or impossible, to get the Chinese motorcycles registered for street riding.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #3

I feel your pain brother !

Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

in my case, it appears at least part of the problem seems to be with the MCO listing the body type as "Dirt Bike/Off Road".

There are a couple things I'm going to try. First, I have talked to Adam about getting the MCO re-issued with "MOTORCYCLE" as the body type. perhaps that might sway them. Second thing to try is talk to Raleigh to see what I would have to do to have the bike street legal. probably lights front and rear along with a horn. That should be easy to upgrade, right?

I might also go the Vermont route, but we'll hold that thought for later. I did ask the DMV officer if I have a title/registration from another state if it would get through. he said no. but what does he know about bureaucratic nightmares, right?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

Y'all need to come to Georgia. I was prepared for a disappointment but was pleasantly surprised ho easy it was.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 04-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
in my case, it appears at least part of the problem seems to be with the MCO listing the body type as "Dirt Bike/Off Road".

There are a couple things I'm going to try. First, I have talked to Adam about getting the MCO re-issued with "MOTORCYCLE" as the body type. perhaps that might sway them. Second thing to try is talk to Raleigh to see what I would have to do to have the bike street legal. probably lights front and rear along with a horn. That should be easy to upgrade, right?

I might also go the Vermont route, but we'll hold that thought for later. I did ask the DMV officer if I have a title/registration from another state if it would get through. he said no. but what does he know about bureaucratic nightmares, right?
Definitely try to get it issued as a motorcycle. Thats how mine came and it was no problem(im in illinois though.)

Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
Definitely try to get it issued as a motorcycle. Thats how mine came and it was no problem(im in illinois though.)
Absolutely. If the MCO lists the bike as a "motorcycle," you should be able to get a license plate.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

my mso said motorcycle, but the tag on the bike said offroad. that's what they look at also.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
my mso said motorcycle, but the tag on the bike said offroad. that's what they look at also.
mine will be gone by then.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

This bothers me greatly. Is it on the purchasing websites somewhere about this? Does the distributor mention it anywhere that it's tagged "off road only"? I know it's up to the states to decide but the tag is an official tag stating the bikes legal purpose, correct?...or am I wrong here. This seems a huge case of "buyer beware"....but if this tidbit of "off road only" information isn't made public, how the heck are you supposed to know so you can check with DMV?

As I stated in another thread, at least when I bought my X-Moto, my dealer told me up front "It can't be plated for the street, regardless of lights and mirrors." Even on the CB websites I frequent (usually SPS and PSM) there's usually a separate "CA Legal" section. Sometimes there's nothing available but at least you know if it will fly or not.

Man...this really sucks for some of the Hawk folks.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
mine will be gone by then.
Seriously, pull the tag off the bike, Ron. Even if you still decide to sell it, you will get more money for a registered motorcycle.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #12

they only looked at my bike (storm 250) from out the back office window, and then she said "i guess you have added the lights and everything already" ... i said "uuhhh, no, it came that way factory" and that was all of that ... i am also in illinois ... maybe cr.net needs to get an address in illinois so all the hawk owners can use it to get them legal ...

Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

this is one of the reasons i bought the storm...apparently its easier to plate them up in many places. I will be sure to let the folks note on my mco for it to say "motorcycle" when the bike ships. Apparently mine isays on and off road use. I really liked how the hawk looks, but yeah my main reason was titling issues.... and the friggin thing is starting to grow on my appearance wise.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #14

All these registration problems got my curiosity up. I ain't claiming to be an emissions expert or anything, but it looks to me like RPS just dropped the ball on getting the Hawk certified for highway like the Storm. The engines are identical except for the stamp on the crankcase.

I've attached the EPA requirements for highway vs. off-road. As you would expect, highway is a little tougher to meet. I've also attached the EPA certification data for both the Bashan Storm and RPS Hawk for 2015. They're virtually identical, and both pass the highway requirements as far as I can tell. Looks like the Storm came in at exactly 1.000 on the primary spec, cough, cough, to comply, but the Hawk hits the alternative highway spec and CO2 is met by both. Data matches up pretty close as one would expect with both of them having the same engine.

Again, I'm not claiming to know the cost and/or details of certifying one way or the other, but it seems to me the Storm (or CSC) is the clear choice for anyone who wants a plate in a state where the EPA emissions rules may factor into the registration process. And that doesn't seem to be a red state / blue state type of problem either, given recent difficulties. Having "off-road use only" stickers on the bike and then advertising it as "street legal" is just asking for these problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg epa_emission_specs.jpg (89.9 KB, 1717 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip epa_hawk_storm.zip (5.5 KB, 345 views)

Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

Sport Rider .... sorry to hear this ......I feel for ya brother!