Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #706

Working_ZS, Thanks for the heads up on the centerstand.

You are correct the stock 35 watt H4 is not safe. However, the GENSSI Elite conversions are not legal. That is why I rigged up a pair of military specification LEDs from J. W. Speaker. Not cheap, but they light well and meet DOT specs. I had to take those off because a police officer decided they are illegal. They are 100% legal right down to the "DOT" mark cast into the bullet proof lens. See, I intend to allow this 19-year old with a badge and a pistol for which he can't buy bullets to make a fool of himself in the courtroom. My brother-in-law, who happens to be a way higher up in law enforcement, printed off the legal codes for me to present to the judge to make my case. These headlights meet new NHTSA regulations that haven't even gone into effect, yet.

Two speaker headlights alone light roads better than the Harley Daylighter LED 3 light system without blinding oncoming drivers. Once I get my Speakers back on the bike I have 2 more to mount on the low bars as auxiliary lights.

I am thinking about these next: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ad...91-adaptive-2/ They are super expensive so might be a while.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #707

No problem swapping out the countershaft sprocket.

No problem hacksawing the old, worn chain.

Pulled the wheel and went after the wheel sprocket. First, on the floor with a ratchet. Nope. Then reassembled the bike and just turned over the engine in first. Still in gear, had my grandson stand on the pedal. Nope. Disassembled the wheel again, clamped the old sprocket in an antique iron vice on a solid table. Impact socket and breaker bar, about 300 pounds/foot (400+n/m). Nope.

Broke out the torch, applied heat, melted the plastic in the nuts. Nope.

Half inch hand impact and 2.5 pound,(1.2kg) sledge hammer. 3 or 4 smart whacks on each nut and they came off easily with a ratchet.

6-point holes for bolt heads are now 12-point holes. I have plenty of Permatex Red for reassembly, Having to purchase another sprocket mount and hardware before the new sprocket wears out due to sloppy initial assembly pisses me off.

Never got around to changing the tire. Too hot, too pissed. Seems like every project I start on this bike is cursed.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #708

Wheel sprocket and chain fell together like they were supposed to. Noticed rear tire had a slow leak.

Anyone else consistently having problems changing tubes on the RX3? Seems to me I'm working 10 times harder than normal to get tires on and off, punctured 2 of last 3 tubes.

I did notice the parts of the rim from the vertical part of the bead to the vertical part that drops to the spokes wider by far than any other rim I have. The part of the rim where the spoke nuts are is very narrow. Put the tire bead over the spokes and can not lever the tire bead across the tire because not enough tire bead to stretch over the rim.

Working 4-6 hours in 100+F heat with 98% humidity and no breeze is a form of cruel and unusual punishment, isn't it? Neighbor will be here soon. He has an extra tube for his KLR, same size as RX3.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #709

Retrofit a HID light on my RX3

At first, I got the LED transformer headlight and Im not satisfied with the performance. Not bright, too white, a bit missaligned.

Later, I added 2 auxiliary but those light spread too much and blind other motorist.

Then I bought the halogen headlight unit. Quite okay but not wide enough. So I changed the halogen bulb into an led bulb. It's bright but, Im not satisfied with the result. Too white and it has a dark spot in the middle.

Few weeks ago, I retrofitted a 35W HID projector kit with 4300k H1 Bulb. And I am glad to say that Im satisfied with the result.

It wasn't an easy job. But, I love riding at night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180714_192852.jpg (94.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180724_000829.jpg (83.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180724_000946.jpg (80.9 KB, 254 views)

Old 07-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #710

Fitting an HID projector is the only way, in my opinion, to get really good lighting from the stock headlight. Not just in this bike, in the majority of them. There are exceptions; my '08 Honda Deauville has an -excellent- headlight, wide, well focused, and with a sharp top edge.Here there are some pictures of my installation.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Fitting an HID projector is the only way, in my opinion, to get really good lighting from the stock headlight. Not just in this bike, in the majority of them. There are exceptions; my '08 Honda Deauville has an -excellent- headlight, wide, well focused, and with a sharp top edge.Here there are some pictures of my installation.
Nice setup Juanro. I thought I was the only one.
By the way, what is your ballast wattage? Is it 35w or 55w ballast? Why didn't you install the shroud on the projector?

Old 07-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paeksukis View Post
Nice setup Juanro. I thought I was the only one.
By the way, what is your ballast wattage? Is it 35w or 55w ballast? Why didn't you install the shroud on the projector?
Thanks. It's 35w. This unit is a very basic one and it came without the shroud. Besided, I like the crude, industrial look

Juanro

Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #713

Best of all is the sharp, slanted top edge of light pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp Image 2018-01-27 at 20.59.56.jpg (10.8 KB, 276 views)

Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #714

Quote:
Thanks. It's 35w. This unit is a very basic one and it came without the shroud. Besided, I like the crude, industrial look
I see. I painted mine black and put 2 screw to hold the projector in place. For the small light below, I just use a T10 bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180721_231634.jpg (90.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180724_001100.jpg (89.8 KB, 274 views)

Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 PM   #715

Don't know where you are, but much of North America has outlawed HID conversions because they generally do not meet the pattern requirements for low beams. Yours looks good enough, but I am not the cop. In much of the U. S. of A. it is a violation to modify headlights, including the wiring, so even an LED bulb would be illegal. Just because the cops drive to work in their personal vehicles with patternless HID converted factory fogs and low beams with a couple hundred LEDs in a bar on the roof shining in your eyes doesn't mean you can. Seems cops think laws don't apply to them. They whine constantly about people trying to run them over at night but are too stupid to figure out they come close to getting hit because cops are too stupid to flip the power switch to the night position so oncoming drivers are night blinded by the cops' flashing lights causing drivers' pupils to constrict. Now we have a new law limiting lumens soon to go into affect. How stu[id can a government be?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #716

I'm from Argentina and here no cop will bother you for your headlight. Plenty of badly adapted LEDs and HID. I mean: if you have the "straight" HID bulb you will be blinding oncoming vehicles and they will flash high beams at you (and rightfully insult you). But that is first: dangerous, aside from impolite, and second: inefficient, as light is scattered all over the place.
After installing the projector with low beam cut, I wonder how I dared to drive at night before...

Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #717

Quote:
I'm from Argentina and here no cop will bother you for your headlight. Plenty of badly adapted LEDs and HID. I mean: if you have the "straight" HID bulb you will be blinding oncoming vehicles and they will flash high beams at you (and rightfully insult you). But that is first: dangerous, aside from impolite, and second: inefficient, as light is scattered all over the place.
After installing the projector with low beam cut, I wonder how I dared to drive at night before...
Yes, things are different between here and there. My experience with people from Argentina is if there is a problem, politely expressing it results in a solution agreeable to everyone. Americans pretty much just wander off mindlessly or tell you to do disagreeable things with yourself. I miss those days when Americans were more like people from Argentina.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 AM   #718

Not all Today... but oer the weekend...

Fitted Highway pegs...

Increased indicators light so they can become useful in day time..

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #719

Ordered highway pegs to replace the one a big bad Harley fell on trying to molest a little Chinese girl. Broke the peg bracket and scratched the paint on the crash bar. Harley has a nasty dent in the tank, bent the brake lever, scuffed the chrome on the end of the grip, broke the master cylinder, scratched paint on side box, and forks are now twisted. Looks like about $2000 in damage. Probably double at a stealership.

<<<-- Harley owner, said Roxy and I have bad attitudes.
Roxy --->>> <<<--- Me.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
Fitted Highway pegs...

Increased indicators light so they can become useful in day time..

Did you use clear plastic tube type things so the light goes from base to the black thing easier?
What did you use?