Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Hippo hands or hand covers.

Anyone here use hippo hands or hand covers on the RX3? I plan to ride into the winter as long as I can and wondered if anyone else has gone this route and what brand......I already have the grip heaters but I think the covers would be a game changer Thanks in advance

Old 11-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

I got something like this from BMW gs from alie express and piping to keep my fingers from getting lost. It's quite large and do not freeze your hands from the wind even with thin gloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211107_235547.jpg (78.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211107_235646.jpg (69.1 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211107_235623.jpg (84.3 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211107_235634.jpg (74.6 KB, 152 views)

Old 11-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #3

I've used Oxford Rain Seal Covers in the past; this worked well so far as keeping my hands out of the wind goes. I did find though, that it is disconcerting at times to not be able to see the controls. I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. Also, there can be interference with buttons depending upon how tight you have them cinched in place around the mirror stalks.

Nowadays, I use a set of $15 AliExpress handguards and heated grips; I find that the combination works really well, even in temps down into the 30'sF. Plus, it lets me see the controls for actuation. They're also available on Amazon, but you pay a bit more for the faster shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mot.../dp/B08N6K33F1

Note that they also now have a couple of different styles available under the "color" selector, one of which now has LED's incorporated into them. This could serve as an extra set of running lights or be wired into the turn signals for extra visibility. Also be advised that these are just wind guards, they do not have any metal reinforcement in them - they are all plastic. They will also accommodate handle bar end weights, so no need to remove yours if you have them.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #4

Cheap RX3 Handguards

I took Working_ZS advice and tried these handguards on my 2015 RX3.

Under $20 delivered, and the yellow color is a great match for the faded orange on my RX3.

However I had to do a number of mods to get them to work. The inner diameter of the RX3 bar is too small for the plastic insert plugs on the guards. Also, I had to cut out the closed end of the throttle tube. I then cut the plastic plugs so the ends butted against the end of the bar, leaving bar ends extended just past the handgrips. Its particularly important to leave a gap between the end of the throttle tube so at not to bind up the throttle.

I used a rattaiil file to trim the openings at the ends of the handlebars, and scrounged some rubber fuel line with an exterior diameter that just fit inside the handlebar openings. I used about an inch of the fuel line, ran the long bolts through then bar ends and the line, and put the nut on the end of the assembly. Once installed in the bar ends, tightening the end bolt pulled the nut into the fuel line, securing the ends in place.

Rest of installation went well. The single metal stay fit well under the mirror perch.

Really light duty, just for wind protection as Working noted. but cheap and looks good on the bike.

Sorry I should have taken photos.

Old 12-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I took Working_ZS advice and tried these handguards on my 2015 RX3.

Under $20 delivered, and the yellow color is a great match for the faded orange on my RX3.

However I had to do a number of mods to get them to work. The inner diameter of the RX3 bar is too small for the plastic insert plugs on the guards.

My bad on forgetting to mention that the 2015 RX3's have handle bars with a smaller inside diameter than the 2016 and onward models, which come stock with bar end weights that the 2015's do not have.

Glad that you were able to figure it out and get them installed. They make heated grips much more effective than when they are out in the open, exposed to the wind.