Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #76

99% of riders mount on the left side and so all balancing and centering of the bike is awkward on the right side to say nothing of having to walk around.
I realize it is more trouble to mount on the left but you gotta do it unless it's just too much trouble.
I use a Centerstand a lot because it is easier loading and unloading the panniers also I climb onto the pegs to mount.
I think it's pretty cool you have a working one that deploys easier it is just big thing in my mind that it be on the left.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:27 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
Centerstand deployment is a mutha even when grabbing the crash bars which are hard to get but a couple of fingers around so....I'm thinking of mounting a rear peg upside down so when it pivots out I then would have a good grab handle to lift her up.
Did you see my earlier post on "getting it up?" This method is working well for me. Start by standing on the left side of the bike facing forward. Hold the stand peg down with your foot, hold bike upright with your left hand on the handlebar, and with your right hand reach forward and grab the lower engine guard, and pull the bike back. I have found it works best if you grab the lower portion of the lower engine guard, closer to the bike frame. This induces less twisting. But do leave some room around the bike the first time you try it, since the bike tends to pivot a bit as it rolls back and up onto the stand.

Its getting easier for me with practice. I have not observed any bending of the mounting tabs or other issues, but obviously there are no guarantees. Its just a suggestion.

Last edited by NoVa Rider; 08-14-2015 at 05:13 AM.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #78

"But as it stands, it seems as if there is zero interest in this and I've really just wasted my time, except for the 3 bikes this will end up on."

Eco, Welcome to the world of manufacturing. I hate to be the one to say it but I'm going to say it. We the people who buy the RX3 are cheap a$$. The CSC centerstand is $130, yours is $240. Yours works better, wider , safer, easier to put up on, etc. Being self-employed myself, I have no doubt that the time and energy you put into this justifies $240. But we are cheap A$$es.
If you got a prepaid PayPal? $100 deposit from 10-15 people willing to buy them at a "better" price, say $150-$175 shipped. Do you think you could make them in that price range? That would give you $1000-$1500 upfront to make it worth your while , then before you ship them you'd be getting another $500-$750 .Mine wouldn't even need to be powder coated. We are cheap and thrifty dudes which is why we bought the RX3 for the value. There , I said it, but everyone else was thinking it. Beautiful stand by the way, rj

Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #79

I would consider the country of origin on why theirs is less to manufacture and buy. Plus if it doesn't work, who cares if it's even free?

I didn't think $240 was out of line. In fact I found many that are also made in the USA approaching $400, and s/h was still separate.

But my price was arrived at by adding line items of parts, raw materials, shop labor + 15% for profit. Very low for making anything by hand in America.

But I suppose you are right. Maybe I should stick to decals and keychains for the RX-3.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I hate to be the one to say it but I'm going to say it. We the people who buy the RX3 are cheap a$$
I have always felt that there is a distinct difference between being "Cheap" and just not having enough disposable income from month to month.

I too am obviously self employed. And I range from negative disposable income to an excess from month to month, and it varies wildly and I can never count on anything. But when it comes to something that I want to buy, what I feel is a good bargain for the price (sometimes the best, sometimes not) I never let my negative cash flow stop me from getting what I want. I just put it in my mind that is something that I'm going to obtain. Don't know when, don't know how... but I know that it's already mine!

Being "Cheap" has bitten me in the arse more times than I can count. So, now my philosophy is "Cry Once" (get the good stuff now, wince at the price, but knowing that I won't have to buy another one or have to upgrade too soon)

Which kinda brings me to the point of why I think the Cyclone is a good bargain and a good platform to develop aftermarket parts for. There should be many people who buy this bike as at least their 3rd bike in their stable, and who want to build it up in a way that makes theirs unique and bullet-proof over what the factory put out. I may be completely off base in that assessment, but look at what's happened to the KLR over the last 30 years.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Mouse View Post
Being "Cheap" has bitten me in the arse more times than I can count. So, now my philosophy is "Cry Once" (get the good stuff now, wince at the price, but knowing that I won't have to buy another one or have to upgrade too soon)
I have a similar philosophy. I'll soon forget the cash I choked on, but I'll long remember a quality product. It doesn't really jive with my ChinaRider lifestyle, but I never claimed to be all that well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I have a similar philosophy. I'll soon forget the cash I choked on, but I'll long remember a quality product. It doesn't really jive with my ChinaRider lifestyle, but I never claimed to be all that well.
Great timing on this post. I blinked and pulled out of the early "Don't Miss The Boat" deal and kicked myself for it. Then I waited too long to pull the trigger on the Western Ride bikes, and not only berated myself, but virtually begged Ryan to publicly humiliate me. Sigh...I think I better buy one now before the price goes up or I otherwise miss a (still) good deal.

I guess wrong forum to ask since there's so many accolades from posters, but any regrets or post purchase thoughts on the RX-3?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 PM   #83

I have no regrets for not spending $8-$12,000 for an adventure bike. My Rx3 is taking me all the places I wanted to go and will get me to yet another rally at the end of the month. (Hood River Sound Rider Rally). Very economically I might add also. rj

Old 08-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #84

No regrets here. This is a well designed bike with lots of power in a <400 lb package and 70 mpg.

The only thing I would say it needs is a $13, 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. And I highly recommend the 19" front wheel.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #85

I'm considering center stand. CSC says they'll install before shipping to me. Thats cool.
But wondering about sacrificing ground clearance? Any experiences out there?

Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
I'm considering center stand. CSC says they'll install before shipping to me. Thats cool.
But wondering about sacrificing ground clearance? Any experiences out there?
The center stand retracts quite high, about the same as the side stand.
It's a very handy addition, but if you decide to take it off for clearance sake, that's easily done. I appreciate having one on mine.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #87

Thanks Jay, according to Ryan at CSC they're working on a redesign with lift assist pedal. I'll get that centerstand.

Spud ' configuring my control panel '. Sounds like story of my life but I'll certainly try!
thanks for advise.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #88

Here's our updated version, with the leverage bar on the left side. As you can see, plenty of ground clearance!
We dipped the feet in truck bed liner to make it a little more grippy, especially on our smooth epoxy shop floor.

I hear you guys on the kick stand being a little too short. I'm working on a better solution that works hand in hand with our super awesome center stand.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM   #89

Good looking Centerstand there Eco-Mouse,really like the retraction on the left and it looks nice and wide And it really lofts the rear tire.I have the CSC Centerstand and the deployment difficulty is quite high.I am waiting to see what revision they have in mind to enable it to deploy easier.I am definetly considering yours.Thanks for your open-minded re-design.

Old 05-16-2022, 11:19 PM   #90

Fishman ! just weld some 1"x1" pieces of 1/4" steel to each legs bottom and that should lift the wheels clear of the ground or perhaps a chunk of 1"x 1/2" square bar stock a quick easy cure for a center stand that is too short !
( I bet you put on different tires Uh ?)
maybe EM will make a centerstand for the RX4 eh ????
Bob.......