Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #1

Question gross vs. wet weight?

I've been puzzled seeing some 'gross weight' specs on these bikes. Normally, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) includes everything: vehicle, fluids, passengers, cargo.

However, for instance, the Templar x specifies:
  • weight capacity: 440 pounds
  • net weight: 258 pounds
  • gross weight: 326 pounds
If by 440 'weight capacity' they mean GVWR, then 440 - 258 (net) = only 182 pounds for fluids + passenger(s) + cargo??? That wouldn't make sense?

I would have thought that dry weight (258) + 'weight capacity (440)' would be/equal GVWR? i.e. 698 pounds?

Wet weight isn't specified? So, what is it? I can't see this thing carrying 68 pounds (326 - 258) of fluids i.e. fuel (2.4 gallons * 6.1 pounds/gallon), oil (<2 pounds?) and brake fluid (<1 pound) = <18 pounds, either? If their 'net' weight = dry weight, I would guesstimate wet weight at around 276 pounds (258 net + 18 pounds). So, what's the remaining ~50 pounds (326 pounds 'gross' - 276 pounds wet), making up 'gross weight'? ... tools, service manual, riding gear and water?

Might someone please enlighten my appalling ignorance?

Last edited by Discoveror; 12-11-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #2

weight capacity would be how much weight the frame can handle for the rider + passenger.
net weight will be what it weighs with no fluids
gross or wet weight will be what it weights with all fluids including gas.

Now, im not sure if net or gross weights listed are accurate, but it would be nice to confirm. i think it might weigh less than 326 wet though

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #3

I really don't expect much crystal-clear info from companies whose owner's manuals say things like, "Motorcycle drivers must past traffic administration examination and gain driving license till can drive it forbidding to borrow the motorcycle to have no license personnel driving."

Got that?

Old 12-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #4

The way I read weights is the shipping company way.

Gross Weight Vs. Net Weight used for weight calculation always occur regardless of whether the goods are transported by sea, air, or rail.

Most shipping documents related to the goods must refer to the weight, a crucial element for freight forwarders.

Gross weight is the total weight of all items in the shipment.

So, gross weight means total weight, which includes any additional weight that comes with the shipment, and the added weight can be the packaging.

Here is a simple formula to remember the gross weight.
Gross weight = product weight + packaging weight (all those steel frame members and cardboard and foam etc.)

Net weight is the weight of the product itself.

So, net weight means the weight that does not include packaging or is not placed in a container.

It also refers to the total amount of inventory or cargo on board, excluding the weight of containers, packaging, or other cargo protection equipment, such as racks or pallets, used to secure the load.

Here is a simple formula to remember the net weight.
Net weight = product quantity X product weight

Weight capacity: 440 pounds

This is worded a little bit more obscure.

Carrying capacity is the magic number that represents how much weight the motorcycle can carry. You reach it by subtracting the wet or curb weight from the GVWR. It’s important to do the research to determine that the wet or curb weight accurately represents your motorcycle in ready-to-ride condition, which includes the weight of any accessories you may have added.

Using a bit of simple algebraic manipulation you could start with Carrying Capacity and Net Weight and get something close to the ballpark of the GVWR rating.
GVWR = Net Weight + Carrying Capacity + Wet Weight (NOTE 1)
GVWR = 258 pounds + 440 pounds
GVWR = 698 pounds + X where X is the unknown right now, the Wet Weight.
Note 1: Wet Weight in this formula is used on the assumption Net Weight is dry weight. The Wet weight would be the additional weight of all the fluids added to the Net Weight if the net weight is dry weight.

For Templar X, I just unboxed my Shock Spanner Punch so I have not adjusted sag yet. I have adjusted the rear shock compression setting. Right now I am not experiencing any harsh bottoming out while riding.

For rear shocks you are supposed to replace the spring coil component to match the riders weight once you exceed a given sag parameter, you go up on the rating of the spring, or if you are having trouble getting the sag in, you go down on the rating of the spring to match the riders weigth. However, this is primarily adjusted for racing on the dirt track which I will be riding almost exclusively on street.

EDIT: Back in a while, I have just got floor jack and jack stands set up to raise the SUV and do a tranmission filter, gasket and fluid change.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 12-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #5

Carrying capacity is specifically the max number of cargo and passenger weight the frame/chassis can safely handle. That does not mean the suspension is up to snuff at that weight.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 12-09-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #6

I've seen photos of people hauling cows on little Chinese bikes. I don't reckon the "specs" really reflect much of anything real...

Old 12-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
I've seen photos of people hauling cows on little Chinese bikes. I don't reckon the "specs" really reflect much of anything real...
That's not unusual for any type.of machine or equipment. There is the ratednspecs and then what people get away with lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Gross weight = product weight + packaging weight (all those steel frame members and cardboard and foam etc.)

Net weight is the weight of the product itself.
Thanks - for the clarification/definition, Texas Pete. Looking at product specs, I wasn't thinking in shipping terms.