Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

New Hawk 250 (chain issues)

Hello everyone.

I just got my new Hawk 250 today. I did the mandatory oil change and Loctite session and then rode to the gas station to fill up. When I got back home, I got off the bike and checked the chain. It was almost completely rigid/tight even with no weight on the bike. I was going to adjust it but the wheel is already in the full forward position. I also noticed that the left side of the rear tire is rubbing against the chain and is already noticeably chafed after only 2.5 miles.

Please let me know if I did something idiotic. I have never worked on a motorcycle before so don't worry about hurting my pride. Thank you in advance.

Derek

Old 08-15-2018, 02:00 AM   #2

From what you say it sounds like they put a short chain on it...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #3

Agree with pete. If the chain is tight and you have the tire adjusted full forward, I'd order a new 428 chain. Go with something 130 links or longer (you can remove links to adjust). New chains will always stretch and loosen...you risk snapping the chain if it's already as tight as you describe.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 08-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

To tight, you also risk the chance of breaking your engine/transmission case when the trail gets rough

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I bought a new 130 link chain and compared it to the stock chain. They are exactly the same. I cant even install them because it is so tight. What could be causing this? Azhule, that is what I'm worried about. I don't plan on riding it until I get the chain sorted.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #6

Can you post a picture of the rear wheel/hub. Left side?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #7

Or I could just come right out and say it.
While you say the wheel is in the full forward position, did you loosen the chain tensioner?

Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Question Is the rear wheel centered?

is the center knobby of the rear tire lined up with the shock / center of swing arm? Moto Cheez covers this on utube.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh426 View Post
is the center knobby of the rear tire lined up with the shock / center of swing arm? Moto Cheez covers this on utube.
That's what I was thinking that the tire may not be straight in the swing arm and allowing it to be pointing over to the chain.
Are the chain tightener alignment marks equal on both sides of swing arm? Look down the chain and see if there is a bow in it.
Take a string and run it along both tires sidewalls while someone holds handlebars straight and see if string contacts both tires evenly. Or if it hits front tire evenly but only front or back of back tire would tell you rear tire needs readjusting to make it straight with the front. rj

Old 08-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #10

Make sure the center knobbies on the tire align dead center with the rear shock spring. You can eyeball this fairly easily. Also check that the chain tension is adjusted to the same position on both sides of the swing arm. There are guide marks for reference. The chain will barely clear the rear tire so it may rub on it occasionally. Ideally you want 1" or so of slack in the chain when the Hawk is leaning on the kick stand. If you have the Hawk up level on a lift with the rear tire off the ground, the chain will be somewhat tighter. Also double check that the chain is aligned...running up the middle of that chain guide. If your chain seems to bend in one direction or the other, looking at it from the rear sprocket down the swing arm to the front sprocket, your rear wheel is likely not aligned properly.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Last edited by ChrisWNY; 08-15-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #11

I just did a rough eyeball of the center knobby in relation to the rear shock. It looks like its pointed a little left. Ill verify on the jack stand tomorrow. The tensioners are perfectly even.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #12

I just wanted to clarify something. I said in my previous post that the wheel points left but it actually looks like its leaning left. The top is more to the left than the bottom. Is that even a possibility or am I just an idiot? Thanks.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 PM   #13

Is the rear axle spacer etc. in the correct place and the rear axle tightened down sufficiently? Have you checked the tightness of the spokes on the rear wheel? Could be the wheel isn't true, but that wouldn't cause your chain to be too tight. On the stock chain, my rear tire is a little bit behind the center point within the chain tensioner, so it's more rearward than forward. The chain was tight at first but has stretched and loosened up somewhat now that I have put a couple hundred miles on the Hawk.
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster

Old 08-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #14

I put the bike on the stand and straightened out the rear wheel the best I could and put the chain back on. I now have about 3/4 inch of slack with the wheel full forward. Still a little tight but better. I will continue to work on it. Thanks for all of the help.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #15

You can probably safely ride on it as long as the chain has a little slack and isn't overly-tight. The chain will loosen up over time from riding especially if you're off-road a lot.

Forgot to ask but what sprockets are you using on your Hawk? Are you using the stock sprockets or did you buy aftermarket?
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster