Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM   #181

Thumbs Up

love it, now your talkin !!!

your killin it with that "lame, low quality, bad welds, poorly designed, no warranty, and any other remark that has been said about these" china bike, and sounds like your killing yourself too.

thanks for sharing all the great photos !!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post

love it, now your talkin !!!

your killin it with that "lame, low quality, bad welds, poorly designed, no warranty, and any other remark that has been said about these" china bike, and sounds like your killing yourself too.

thanks for sharing all the great photos !!

I almost blew drink out my nose!!

Lots of our riding is like that, but I don't often stop to take photos- sometimes I don't dare.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #183

Taking on an easy check-over ride. Also, because of the little bit of rain I didn't want to cause any erosion issues...so just a mellow ride.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #184

Sure sounds good.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 PM   #185

Trip prep and a few discoveries.

So remember a few pictures back where I wrecked my chain guide on a rock??

I called PP and they wanted $75 plus $15 shipping for a chain guide which is nuts expensive. My hunch is that they didn't understand what part I was looking for (at least I hope so).

After mucho time looking through images of chain guides I though the crf230 guide looked close, so we dropped by a Honda dealer with a tape measure. Turns out that they were sold out of 230s... but we noticed the CRF150R and immediately recognized the chain guide. It was *exactly* the same. Honda wanted $24.95 for the plastic part and $17 for the aluminum.

I decided to go up another step and bought a TMDesignworks guide for our upcoming trip; I really don't want something as simple as the chain guide to ruin our efforts. It arrived an hour ago and bolted right up!!

Also went for a new sprocket from PBI while I was doing the rear tire:

The new rear tire is a massive 120/100-18 Shinko 505 Cheater:

I had to install some spacer bushings to move the muffler over so that this beast will clear everything!! Should provide maximum traction!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #186

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
So remember a few pictures back where I wrecked my chain guide on a rock??

I called PP and they wanted $75 plus $15 shipping for a chain guide which is nuts expensive. My hunch is that they didn't understand what part I was looking for (at least I hope so).

After mucho time looking through images of chain guides I though the crf230 guide looked close, so we dropped by a Honda dealer with a tape measure. Turns out that they were sold out of 230s... but we noticed the CRF150R and immediately recognized the chain guide. It was *exactly* the same. Honda wanted $24.95 for the plastic part and $17 for the aluminum.

I decided to go up another step and bought a TMDesignworks guide for our upcoming trip; I really don't want something as simple as the chain guide to ruin our efforts. It arrived an hour ago and bolted right up!!

Also went for a new sprocket from PBI while I was doing the rear tire:

The new rear tire is a massive 120/100-18 Shinko 505 Cheater:

I had to install some spacer bushings to move the muffler over so that this beast will clear everything!! Should provide maximum traction!
Love how you're finding all these parts for other bikes that bolt right up

How is the suspension feeling these days for you on the single track?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #187

That rear tire is freaking huge!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
Love how you're finding all these parts for other bikes that bolt right up

How is the suspension feeling these days for you on the single track?
I really like the suspension. I'm a lower mid-level rider and I like it on the softer side. With a few adjustments it is much better than anyone would expect a China bike to be. The bike is surely more capable than I am.

You reminded me of two other things I figured out parts swap wise.

The rear sprockets are standard Honda/Yamaha 6 bolt sprockets. Same as CRF250 and 450s.

I lost a front spoke somewhere along my travels.. I have now gone over all the spokes and tightened them up. For a replacement spoke I have a '96 CR125 chassis in my shed. The front wheel is a match. The rotor looks to be the same. I pulled a spoke out of the '96 front wheel and it bolted right into the Pitster wheel- even has the right thread.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #189

Not tons of info on this bike on the internet, but there are tons of youtube videos of the Kayo K6 which I believe is the exact same bike. Unfortunately, all of those are in different languages, but you can get a good feel for what the bike is all about. There are also a lot of videos of the Kayo T4, which is the same as the Pitster Pro XTR 250 air cooled bike.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #190

Yep, wish I spoke Russian ; they have a video showing how to make the 250 a 300cc bike. But I can't glean much from it.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #191

Chonda, I'm curious as to whether simple parts are available for this bike directly from Pitster. I was thinking about things like oil filters and it looks like your bike might have a rather long oil filter on the bottom of the engine like the CSC RX3. I noticed that those filters look like they can be bought off Aliexpress, but they are $12 or so. I wouldn't mind waiting on parts as long as there is a source for them. Hoping that Pitster is a reliable source for the high wear items, but worldwide it looks like there are many, many Kayo's out there on the trails. I just haven't tracked down a good source for Kayo parts yet, but I'm sure it's out there.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #192

Quote:
Chonda, I'm curious as to whether simple parts are available for this bike directly from Pitster. I was thinking about things like oil filters and it looks like your bike might have a rather long oil filter on the bottom of the engine like the CSC RX3. I noticed that those filters look like they can be bought off Aliexpress, but they are $12 or so. I wouldn't mind waiting on parts as long as there is a source for them. Hoping that Pitster is a reliable source for the high wear items, but worldwide it looks like there are many, many Kayo's out there on the trails. I just haven't tracked down a good source for Kayo parts yet, but I'm sure it's out there.
I ordered a batch of stuff from TaoBao; I found Kayo's web store on TaoBao and ordered quite a few things including a new piston, cylinder and head; spare clutch, fuel pump, O2 sensor, mud guard, and some other misc stuff. Pretty much covered for a few years.

Pitster seems to be stocking alot of the parts. I walked in a few weeks ago and got a new front brake lever and a shifter for reasonable $. The parts guys were enthusiastic about this bike and said that they planned to increase inventory for it.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:31 PM   #193

Quote:
I was thinking about things like oil filters and it looks like your bike might have a rather long oil filter on the bottom of the engine like the CSC RX3. I noticed that those filters look like they can be bought off Aliexpress, but they are $12 or so.
The filters are the same size, but the Pitster uses a stainless steel mesh that is cleanable and re-useable. I bought some of the paper style from TaoBao, but the Pitster filter seems better to me.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I ordered a batch of stuff from TaoBao; I found Kayo's web store on TaoBao and ordered quite a few things including a new piston, cylinder and head; spare clutch, fuel pump, O2 sensor, mud guard, and some other misc stuff. Pretty much covered for a few years.

Pitster seems to be stocking alot of the parts. I walked in a few weeks ago and got a new front brake lever and a shifter for reasonable $. The parts guys were enthusiastic about this bike and said that they planned to increase inventory for it.
Very cool, I had not looked through TaoBao before. It also looks like AJP uses the same engine in their PR5, but also the Delphi EFI rather than the Kayo. This must be a pretty solid engine if it's also used by AJP and CSC as well. I think there are guys here getting 15-25k miles on the CSC RX3 engine, but I believe it is a little detuned comparatively to the Pitster LXR. Something else that crossed my mind was that if the frame is a KTM copy and that you have been able to bolt up an Acerbis tank for a KTM, there might be different seat foam or seat kits that fit from places like Seat Concepts/Guts/Enduro Engineering etc.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 PM   #195

Quote:
Very cool, I had not looked through TaoBao before. It also looks like AJP uses the same engine in their PR5, but also the Delphi EFI rather than the Kayo. This must be a pretty solid engine if it's also used by AJP and CSC as well. I think there are guys here getting 15-25k miles on the CSC RX3 engine, but I believe it is a little detuned comparatively to the Pitster LXR. Something else that crossed my mind was that if the frame is a KTM copy and that you have been able to bolt up an Acerbis tank for a KTM, there might be different seat foam or seat kits that fit from places like Seat Concepts/Guts/Enduro Engineering etc.
I don't think this motor is much different than the CSC version, other than the tuning can be on the rich side because it doesn't meet CARB regs. The 31 hp on Pitsters spec sheet is probably innacurate; my hunch is the 27.5 hp figure is right.

The seat pan appears to be identical to the KTM. Seat Concepts has done me a good job on past seats, but I decided to use the information on this guys website to roll my own: http://diymotorcycleseat.com/

The new seat is about 2" lower and has sit bone relief and a "Purple" sample pad for a tailbone relief. My shaping skills suck, so I haven't posted anything about it. It looks a little lumpy, but it seems to work. I'll take a few pics of the LXR fully loaded for our 10 days of goat trails trip. We leave next week, so it's been a hectic week!!

There is a TM Designworks skidplate on it's way from MA that I sincerely hope gets here before we leave. The part # is KTMC-250-BK and fitment is still up in the air.

Tags
efi, fuel injection, lxr250, pitster