Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Too hot to ride

It is just too hot to ride for me in CT. I don't know how you guys do it in hotter climates. Yesterday it hit 99 on the thermometer. And it was humid. The "real feel" temp was 108. It rained a bit and just made it more humid. Perfect riding temp for me is about 70-80. I can wear gear and move around.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

I feel your pain . I live in south Alabama and want to install Carb , exhaust , adjust valves , sprockets and tune my new bike . Just to hot and humid to do that . I don't like to ride without gear ( jacket , boots , gloves etc.. ) but to hot to gear up for a nice afternoon ride . My next off day I will just have to sweat my butt off and try to enjoy the ride .

Last edited by snobnd16; 08-14-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

I hear ya. I try to ride in the morning when it's not so hot and where I am it's a dry climate, so an evaporative cooling vest helps too.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

It's 5:30pm and 99 deg. Liike snobnd16, I don't ride without gear. I'll probably ride at 8pm.
---Thomas Sowell
Zongshen Storm V-250
The Zong and Winding Road

Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

When I leave for my 16 mile commute to work in the morning, it is about 85 F. On the way home it is about 105 F to 110 F with a few day of 115 F+. I used to do it on my TMEC 200 enduro, but now am on my TGB scooter. I just have to do it if I want a low-cost commute/low cost commuter vehicle. It's only for about 5 or 6 months out of the year, LOL...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #6

you guys are warriors. my accountant butt needs to be in an AC vehicle for my 20 mile commute... oh and a coffee... and a doughnut never hurts either.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #7

Culcune... hats off to ya.

It's fun to push it but I have to tell myself to think and remember when fatigue sets in risk increases.

It's amazing what a difference it makes even between 100f and 95f.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #8

---Thomas Sowell
Zongshen Storm V-250
The Zong and Winding Road

Old 08-15-2016, 01:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Culcune... hats off to ya.

It's fun to push it but I have to tell myself to think and remember when fatigue sets in risk increases.

It's amazing what a difference it makes even between 100f and 95f.
The prison unit I leave at the end of the day has air-conditioning like you wouldn't believe--I actually wear a sweatshirt it's so cold in my classroom. When I leave at 3:30, I leave the sweatshirt on for the ride home so as to not get sunburned!

I am actually riding because I have to--I could not afford a car solely for me and my commute; these Chinese bikes make the perfect choice, although my Taiwanese TGB has been an exception to the Chinese part.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #10

I don't know how you guys in the humidity do it. I rode in 102' this weekend for a good chunk of the day but it's dry. I had no problems. The humidity makes it an entirely different game.

I went to my nephews wedding in Jacksonville many years ago and my sister was complaining that it would be 85' for a rose garden wedding. I said, "That's perfect!"...then I walked out into a sauna. It was awful. I was in my suit and had a little hair gel in for the family pics and that gel landed on my shoulders in a rodeo 8 seconds. I just started pouring sweat.

Yep....humidity. An entirely different heat game.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I don't know how you guys in the humidity do it. I rode in 102' this weekend for a good chunk of the day but it's dry. I had no problems. The humidity makes it an entirely different game.

I went to my nephews wedding in Jacksonville many years ago and my sister was complaining that it would be 85' for a rose garden wedding. I said, "That's perfect!"...then I walked out into a sauna. It was awful. I was in my suit and had a little hair gel in for the family pics and that gel landed on my shoulders in a rodeo 8 seconds. I just started pouring sweat.

Yep....humidity. An entirely different heat game.

ride in circles at red lights to keep cool
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #12

Try riding in south Mississippi this time of year.... this past week my "feels like" weather was 119F. It was 96 with 72% humidity. I swear it was raining from the ground up. I lost about half my body's water cutting my grass and my neighbors with my push mower... and I'm used to it. As a basis of comparison, I grew up in SoCal, and New Mexico, so I know very well the beauty of dry heat as well.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #13

I have some coworkers that travel to India regularly and they felt 114 deg They said it felt like a giant hair dryer on them. I'm slated to go next year so I get to feel 110 plug deg of dry heat. yay me... not. They said the nights cooled to 80 deg, and it felt very comfortable. Here 80 degree nights with humidity just plain sucks.

The heat and humidity is set to break around Wednesday so I will be back in the saddle then No commuting though, driving skills halfway between boston and NYC is a scarce resource. I drive a dodge 2500 so I win the physics contest if someone decided to hit me.

One day I will be where it is less populated so I can ride more freely, currently the Hawk is caged to trails, my property or my in laws farm. The roads, for me, are just to get to the trails.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #14

word to ya Mississippi.

i call it summer...

Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #15

Thumbs Up

been too wet here, rain city.
when wasn't raining, heat index up to 117, no thanks.
got to watch some olympics tho.
retirement not entirely bad
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking