Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #1

Make cable actuated shifter for hawk?

How can I use some sort of thumb shifter and cables to make it cable actuated?
Long story short my ankle has always been a problem for issues that are well beyond the repair ability and skill type of my mechanic ability and I lost my ankles user manual, and have been told their are not compatible replacement parts,
Joking aside,
I know theirs a way for me to make it cable actuated so I can still use my bike and pulling my whole leg up now to shift or placing the center of my foot onto the center shifter and pushing down with my toe under it to force my toe up into the shifter to up shift then picking my foot all the way up with my leg and putting it on the shifter to make it shift down.

I have a mig welder and some ideas but was hoping their was something premade ish that could help. I was thinking of two cables one for pulling down to shift down, and one for pulling up to shift up. I can make some sort of linkage but I'm not sure entirely how while making it possible to mount it normally on a cross jack for regular maintenance

The bike is in need of like, everything replacement, so I'm trying to get this done too.

P.s. technically it's a shark 250, which is essentially a Bashan brozz I think.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #2

heel/toe shifter

You might be good with a heel/toe shifter. Much more effective than cable linkage if you can find one that fits:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HealToeShifter.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	31432

If you can't find one, the welding skills might come into play. It sounds like you cannot lift your toe at all. So a rear push-shifter for up shifting is the simple answer.

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #3

I had to make some decent adjustments to the shifter pedal height on my Templar X when I switched to riding in MX boots which have minimal downwards ankle flex.
Rotated the shifter pedal up 2-3 splines which put it into a position where shifting up is easy by either flexing up or just pulling my whole leg up. Same for downshifts, lift the whole foot up and stomp the lever.

There's also some discussion on this Reddit thread. 3rd post down has a pic of a dual cable adapter someone came up with. https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles...or_motorcycle/
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You might be good with a heel/toe shifter. Much more effective than cable linkage if you can find one that fits:

Attachment 31432

If you can't find one, the welding skills might come into play. It sounds like you cannot lift your toe at all. So a rear push-shifter for up shifting is the simple answer.

Where would I find a heel toe shifter?

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Attachment 31432

Also, what size is that hole with splines? I'm thinking it might be easiest to just weld a bit of metal to a regular shifter and then two small metal squares and drill holes in them and slit the top of the hole with a Dremel so I can stick a cable nut in it and run the wire through the slit upwards into a mount made of a flat metal square and two small metal tubes to hold the cable with two slits to pass the cable through.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #6

Honda trail 90’s have them ,might get lucky and it will fit out of the box

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #7

I have a friend who lost his lower left leg 35 years ago riding off-road. He adapted his shifter to match and eye he had made in his boot, shifting by raising and lowering his leg. I think you could make an upper and lower shifter peg to fit above and below your boot and raise and lower your leg to shift. Just one thought.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatgm12 View Post
Where would I find a heel toe shifter?
I just googled heel toe shifter and there they were. There are lots of them out there and I am 100% certain there is one that will fit your engine. I don't know the shaft size or number of splines, BUT you can find the engine model number which is stamped on the case behind the gear shift lever. Maybe there is a ATV or something that uses that engine and has a heel/toe shifter.

But if all else fails...

As I said in post #2, "If you can't find one, the welding skills might come into play."

Last edited by Thumper; Today at 09:22 AM.

Old Today, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
I have a friend who lost his lower left leg 35 years ago riding off-road. He adapted his shifter to match and eye he had made in his boot, shifting by raising and lowering his leg. I think you could make an upper and lower shifter peg to fit above and below your boot and raise and lower your leg to shift. Just one thought.
Actually that's even easier i can just weld a c shaped bit to the side and over my boot.

Old Today, 08:51 AM   #10

Or go full HD mode and throw a Jockey/Suicide shifter on the left side
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125