Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #16

True enough Carl...But my thought is get the content right , in a package that works and is easy to maintain.

I look for a good working "tool"
We don't really "need" flashy graphics to have a good site.

Most guys like to get rid of the big 5 on the front of their bikes...remove the GAUDY flames, Manufactures name written in 1990's neon colors, and other decals that do nothing but look bad.... why have them on the site???

However a new look (good design and quality workmanship), just like newly designed plastic, is welcome if the increase in quality does not come with added cost...Money or bandwith or load times etc. etc.

I hope my analogy between china riders and china rides is clear enough to understand my point of view...for what ever it may be worth... :roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #17

Where did "Flashy graphics" come from? Why is there the instant assumption it's going to be hopelessly gaudy?

Regardless, it really doesn't matter because this is certainly the last time I'll suggest anything for this site: it can stay as unchanged as it wants until the end of time. But there is one last thing...which I hope should interest everyone...

Because I see a consistent lack of answers to important questions, how about an official reply from the man in charge to Gimpdiggity's fine point:

WHERE do you want this web-site to go Frostbite? What is your plan?

CC

"The Return - Riding Western China" movie site:
http://www.motocyclops.com

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #18

Seems it is right where we want it to be to me, change for the sake of change is pointless.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :!:

Old 04-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #19

Gimp dig "I personally like the layout of the site...in a strange way I enjoy the "bare bones-ness" of it all. I am a member of a VERY large sportbike community and have been for many years. I love posting there, but to be honest some of the "features" that they have added over the years have seemed to do nothing but clutter the site in my opinion...it's refreshing to come to a site like this that is a bit smaller and a bit more basic. It's actually kinda like the China bikes...not really flashy, fairly basic, but they work if you care to make them work!!! "

I agree.

I ain't pissed or down on your ideas C.C. ..I value your opinions as you seem to be a genuine and knowledgable person ...and good member on this forum... If Frosty wants to Stylize the site more or less, it would not really make a difference for me.Up to him.
However I have been on a couple of REALLY GOOD GRASSROOTS FORUMS that have went/grown Huge and went more corporate...Sponsors and such and flashy doodads that bog down my SLOW high speed connection...and Now the guys I used to talk with are Moderators and only have time to monitor posts..issue warnings...not much personal posts at all...and the policing is tight because of the sponsorships provided and a stipulation to LIMIT CONTENT.
So I don't see a need to try to get bigger unless Frosty wants a lucrative Chinariders E-mpire... build it and they will come...we are here!
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #20

K.I.S.S. :wink:

I've checked out other sites, they have so much flash crap going on that after looking thru 13 pages of a forum my pc freezes! Yeah, my pc sucks.

Like how in here anybody can say the stoopidest/most brilliant things they wish. And nobody's trying to convince you to buy anything, except other riders.

I don't think Frostbite should do anything he doesn't WANT to do. Already a tremendous service to the members and non-members alike.

The only thing I wish there was:
Stickys for links to dealers and drop-shippers sorted by manufacturer. Ya want a Shineray? Go here. What ya want is also called a Quinqi? It's under here. Then there'd be alot less bait-and-switch hassle and research for us noobs!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #21

Hey, CrazyCarl....ever considered starting your own site? You know...the "right way"?

No forum is gonna be perfect and even on any of the dozen or so others I belong to, questions get overlooked...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #22

Quote:
WHERE do you want this web-site to go Frostbite? What is your plan?
To be honest, I don't think that far ahead. I have some plans for this summer, but these will unfold in due course.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #23

Honestly, I think this is a great site but I don't see anyone shelling out a bunch of cash or buying much swag to revamp the site, as far as I know this is all coming out of Frostbites pocket except for a few sponsers...
If you'd really like to expand the site, why not everyone chip in a few bucks??? Maybe C.C. a portion of your video sales could go towards improving the site and letting the people interested and owners of China bikes know what is going on and how much support is needed to get the products we want and need here in N.A. and Canada?...
This is a great community of bikers,(Not all Chinese brands) but I don't think we want another TTalk forum here, I like that my kids can sit here with me and enjoy the education from motorcycle riders and learn about bikes... Frostbite, I read the forums everyday, if you need a Moderator I would gladly offer my time and some cash...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #24

I doubt Carl wanted to offend anyone with the suggestion, He has posted some very good information and helped us undestand the Chinese end of this a little more also...But on topic, I like the site...It's simple. If it was a site for teens it would need more flash but were all prety much an "older' crowd. We want simple and easy to read I think the people of this site make it a good site. No amount of decoration can make up for bad members (see Thumpertalk). For the most part nobody is trashing anyone else here..And nobody bad mouths anyones ride. So I feel it is fine the way it is.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
My opinion would be it would be best to make the home page of the site the forum, and have links in the custom page header to the home page (forum), gallery, swag, and frappr.
first off i love the site.

i will admit, thinking back, the first time i was here i thought it sucked.

partly because of the logo but mainly because i found it difficult to navigate. just being totally honest.

but then culcune pointed me to a link here and i decided to join. now that i am here and have posted a few posts, the ease of posting and just setting up my acct was incredible. for instance at adv rider i had to search the web to find out what kinda bike steve mqueen rode in some movie. i watched the movie but the only way you would know the answer to the question is to find someone with the answer.

no forum i have used, thumper talk (talk about an annoying layout), adv rider or supermotojunkie (but i do like those sites too) have the ease of use this one does. my opinion now but not originally.

although the logo has grown on me, remembering my first impression compelled me to reply. i honestly like the china style letters. maybe you could add something like "1 million hits a month" underneath china riders in smaller letters so that it does not appear to be a site that is out of date. not for us people who are addicted to the site now but to carls point to attract new users as they will be inclined to dig a little deeper.

i honestly had NO idea that this site had that many hits. amazing.

the colors and simplicity of use are very attractive.

put the search tab on the home page. again something that would have helped me when i first clicked on the site.

and on a side note. make some smaller stickers. i cant put a bumper sticker on my motorcycle. no bumper! lol. i am grateful to have a site like this to talk about my new chinese sumo without negativity from haters.

thank you frostbite for your initiative to put this together for us.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #26

FREE CRAZY CARL, FREE CRAZY CARL.......

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #27

one million hits are mine.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #28

My thoughts...

I appreciate the fact that this site is available, the effort Frostbite must put into keeping it available, and all the great people who post and share information, making this the best place I have found on this subject.

I think it's easy for some to confuse 1 million hits with 1 million unique viewers. A hit is counted every time a page is refreshed. Not to imply this site is any less popular, or that it matters....I just think it can be misleading. 1 million hits is still impressive....and along these lines, I notice the 1000th user is about to register here. Very nice!

I too wish the main index page made it a bit easier to locate the various forums. I simply bookmarked the forum page to help my navigation, but I imagine there's always a few new viewers who will have a little more trouble.

On the logo image...the only change I'd make personally, is to add "network" to the end, to help brand this domain extension since it isn't the more common .com domain. I know someone was posting links to the .com site as a joke...but for the less web savy, looking at a page that says "China Riders Network" instead of "China Riders" could be the difference in returning to this site or settling elsewhere.

Like most, I'll take the quality content any way it comes. Looking good is nice, but it's secondary....and IMO, should remain secondary. If you can accomplish both, that's great, but if there's a chnace it'll detract from the core purpose of the site...no thanks.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #29

I like the site the way it is.... Simple, effective and full of information. It accesses data very fast and I like the layout. Good job Frosty.... 8)

Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #30

I love the site!!!! Its the information and the common interests that we all share that makes the site what it is! My hats off to Frostbite for putting it together and allowing us the opportunity to enjoy it. Thanks Frostbite!!!! Job well done!