Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Aftermarket clutch plates

So I see CSC are offering aftermarket clutch plates.So,is there something wrong with the stock ones? Are they up to the punishment ? I mean no one ever replaces Japanese clutch plates with anything but the stock OEM plates because they can take the abuse.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

I have the feeling but not the experience with the RX3 that the stock clutch is up to the intended use but if your doing extra and harder trails with the stock 14 gear it has trouble pulling the steep stuff. Gathered that from one of the post here about a fellow on a Colorado ride.

I was just going to purchase an extra stock set from Taobao to keep on hand (my local dealer doesn't keep stock on hand) but now I'm going to get this set from CSC and keep the existing OEM as back up.

My thought for this is I know I will be riding way out into the back country, by myself on a heavily loaded bike pulling some very steep hills and moving slow, technical riding many times, hard on any clutch.

So for me, put on a 13 sprocket and this clutch and should be able to reduce some concerns.

Riceburner

Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
just going to purchase an extra stock set from Taobao to keep on hand (my local dealer doesn't keep stock on hand) ...
16 RMB /pc http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=36789402652

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

I'm going to ride my stock clutch for a while, but I know I want this clutch pack eventually. But for now, skid plate and new seat were the priority.

Question ... what will the stiffer spring pack do for the clutch? Firmer engagement for less slipping? Will they make the clutch lever harder to pull?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 AM   #5

I'm sure the stock clutch pack is very good. The RX3 is geared too high with a 14T C/S sprocket for technical riding. If you work the clutch too hard for too long, any set of clutch plates will fail.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-04-2015, 01:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I'm going to ride my stock clutch for a while, but I know I want this clutch pack eventually. But for now, skid plate and new seat were the priority.

Question ... what will the stiffer spring pack do for the clutch? Firmer engagement for less slipping? Will they make the clutch lever harder to pull?
I'm sure the stock clutch springs are also very good. Stiffer clutch springs last longer before they wear out. However, stiffer springs will definitely make the clutch lever harder to pull.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Hey I'm the guy that killed his OEM clutch on a reasonably technical Jeep road in CO. I was throughly abusing the clutch while trying to climb steep rocky sections with the 14t sprocket; basically using excessive clutch slippage to make up for the tall gearing. One of the other CO RX3 owners has since conquered the same climb with the 13t front sprocket. Had this clutch been available I would have purchased it but I just replaced with the original OEM fiber plates which were also only 50-ish bucks. So still quit a bit less expensive then the Barrett.

I feel the OEM clutch is perfectly suitable for all but the most extreme terrain. And even then over heating the Barrett clutch would still be possible. Better to have lower gearing and the 13t sprocket. Slipping the clutch is an acceptable and even required dirt riding technique; but throttle pinned, engine at redline and continuous clutch slipping will overheat the fiber plates.

When my clutch died only two of the six total fiber plates were thermally overloaded; with most of the fiber material now little bits of carbon living in the oil filter. The other 4 were still in serviceable condition. I plan to carry two or three of these as spares and swapping out a plate or two trail side is completely doable on this bike

Last edited by 3banger; 09-04-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

3banger,

Thanks for providing the details of the clutch punishment. I suggest you would also benefit by installing a larger, 46T rear sprocket, in addition to the 13T C/S sprocket. You might enjoy reading the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...542#post191542

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Yeah, thanks for showing us all what the RX3 can do stock. It's really helping me plan my own build out.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Yes, the clutch will engage more firmly and will be less likely to slip under normal conditions. Once plates wear or burn to the point that they no longer properly grip, they will still slip.

Lever pull will be harder, and wear on the lever will increase if the cable end and lever pivot don't get lubed more frequently. The cable itself will also wear sooner. All normal with increased force.

Keep in mind that one doesn't have to use all 6 springs in the set. You can play around with 2, 3, or 4 springs as long as they're symmetrical.

Thanks to 3bangers candid report on his adventure, we now know that the clutch and the rest of the power train will take some serious punishment before failing. He also showed us that clutch replacement on the RX3 is an easy task. If you need to do it trailside (and have the parts in your luggage) you should be able to lay the bike on the left side guards and not have to worry about losing the oil.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

I'm pretty sure if you just park the bike with the kick stand down hill you will get plenty of lean to not really lose any oil. I'm still working on my full adventure kit but it will include my used spare friction plates and a few shop rags to make a trail side clutch repair feasible. Also it should be noted the clutch cover gasket is of the nicely reusable metal-ized version. I'm continually surprised by the little niceties on this supposedly "budget" motorcycle.

Spud, I like the 13/46t sprocket idea for techy CO riding but I also like to strafe the twisties at a pretty good clip. I could see my self running into the rev limiter a bit running 35 to 40mph posted corners. So far the 13/44t setup seems to be pretty good CO high elevation set up. I had know problem climbing some pretty steep grades in second yesterday. Though nothing like Imogene just yet.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #12

I still recommend you experiment with the 13T/46T sprocket combination before you make a second attempt at Imogene Pass. I only paid $22.44, delivered, for my JTR811.46 sprocket.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

Give in how inexpensive the CSC 46t sprocket will likely be I will likely give it a try in the spring. I won't be making it back to any of the tuff stuff before the snow flies; really want to make sure the titatium collar bone is fully upgraded before I risk taking another tumble. The chain will likely be due by then and I can go a couple of links longer. It will make swapping gearing around pretty easy and I can give it a real test rather then just calculating rpm vs speed numbers; some times I think we get carried away with the specs vs real reality.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #14

It is wise to wait, and install the 46T rear sprocket with a new, 112-link drive chain. I barely got a new, but slightly stretched, 110-link drive chain to fit onto the 13T/46T sprocket combination.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #15

It sounds like the fella that burned his clutch up only had 2 burnt/glazed plates.
I think when I hit the mountain trails the addition of the 13 tooth engine sprocket and the $20 clutch springs would probably do the trick without having to go to the Barnett clutch...that and proper technique of trying not to come to a complete stop on an incline when you can help it.