Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #1

DS/ADV for 2-Up

Not necessarily only scoped to Chinabikes.. but if i were in the market for something lightweight, under 350lbs, powerful enough for 2-up and capable as a dual sport for gravel/hard-pack, what would be your choice without breaking the bank?

I love the Templar X for how nimble she is on and off-road due to low weight but its definitely no 2-up Adventure bike.. wondering if anything else fun and capable out there

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 05-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #2

For 2 up you will need a 650. They weigh 450 lbs minimum

Check out Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki V Strom for just barely adequate for two up. I owned a DL1000 version of the V-Strom. Lots of fun, but it was really just a road bike.

Chinese bikes are typically a little heavier.

Everybody wants a truly lightweight Adventure Sport. For 1 up there are options. Kawa Z400 is almost there (~370lbs) but put 2 people on it, and it will be inadequate really. Suzi DR650 is right there as well. Versys X-300 is good too. Tires are really just gnarly looking road tires, at best on these things (DR600 might be the exception)

KTM 390 adventure has good specs and lots of features. It might be near the top of the list for (almost ) acceptable for 2up.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #3

my views on two up might differ from others. for me, going two up means you need a bunch more power than most small bikes have to offer. also, your category of ADV to me means traveling multiple days self-sustained. that means a bunch of gear strapped on the back. Given those bits, I'd be opting for something at a 650cc minimum. perhaps a KLR might be enough, but more modern twins would be more powerful and capable. That would likely blow away your 350 pound max though.

I've been looking hard at a Himalayan, Honda CB500X, or KLR for doing ADV style riding. I've pretty much crossed off the Himi as it's not strong enough for highway use to get to destinations. the KLR is barely enough, but has better off-road characteristics than the CB500X. The 500X will be better on the highway with the twin cyl engine though. A nice used VStrom 650 might come into play though.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #4

Yea i figured the weight and power would need to be much higher, i've had the vstrom 650 and klr in my mind for awhile, will have to make some time and check them out.. shouldn't be bad price-wise used.. thanks guys

Old 05-03-2023, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Yea i figured the weight and power would need to be much higher, i've had the vstrom 650 and klr in my mind for awhile, will have to make some time and check them out.. shouldn't be bad price-wise used.. thanks guys
I'd say KLR just cause that thing seems amazing - wish I could afford one.

Only Chinese bike I know of that sounds capable of 2 up adv is the RX4 but it's 5k before shipping, taxes and such. Also only 450cc, so might not be ideal but hey - should work? lol

Old 05-03-2023, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
I'd say KLR just cause that thing seems amazing - wish I could afford one.

Only Chinese bike I know of that sounds capable of 2 up adv is the RX4 but it's 5k before shipping, taxes and such. Also only 450cc, so might not be ideal but hey - should work? lol
I think weight is a real issue.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:03 PM   #7

Could always get a lighter partner to reduce weight....

Even if the KLR is a bit of a huffleump I think its a better 2 up prospect then some other 600-650cc options for long term 2 rider ergonomics...Vstrom might be on the same page

Other than perhaps the DR650 which i think is more of a solo rider bush pig.

Both options have been around for so long that parts new and used are generally easy to come by and affordable with a massive aftermarket.

Depends if your want to go big thumper...or a twin cylinder.

Not sure how the Vstrom compares as far as service support costs.

though Id probably bet a decent used KLR will be an easier 2nd hand market find then some of the alternative options which might have better on paper specifications.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:46 AM   #8

Thumbs Up dl 650

Nice video. Wee Strom is the only road bike I would consider buying now. But, he states that is can handle dirt roads, doesn't even mention anything more like a trail. This is the reality of the adventure sport class.

KLR is different and can definitely handle a trail, but as a single cylinder bike, it is a a bit of a vibrator on the highway. Also, the Wee Strom is more adequate for handling a second rider.

This link will die, and I will edit this post to eliminate it, but here is one for $2500
https://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...617262506.html

Old 05-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
...but as a single cylinder bike, it is a a bit of a vibrator on the highway....
that might be a good thing.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:26 AM   #10

Definite no to the RX4, i had purchased one a couple years back and had a short stint with it, underpowered for its weight and i could never get comfortable on it..
I had tested a Vstrom 1000 - a 2018 model - a while back and it was awesome on the road, amazing handling and all, but with my wife on a short test we took onto a gravel side road and it wasn't so inspiring..

Old 05-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #11

Look into one of these. You can customize it with the ADV features you want/like.

https://powersports.honda.com/motorc...venture/nc750x
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 05-06-2023, 12:29 AM   #12

I have an 05 KLR and have done some single day and multi-day 2 up rides with it. Regardless of the bike the seat is practically as important as the bike itself. If the two of you can't fit on the bike it's a no go along with being able to sit comfortably for said ride. The multi-day trips have been from Seattle to Victoria, Canada with luggage in nice weather and the stays are in a motel vs a tent. We have done day trips with 20 mile sections of gravel roads and those are effortless for the KLR. I prefer country road type routes for 2 up riding where speeds are in the 45-60mph range. If need be you can jump on the freeway and run at 70 however it's not that fun and gets old after about 30 minutes. If you plan to ride more technical gravel roads 2 up drop down 1 tooth on the front sprocket so you don't have to use the clutch as much. The KLR idles at about 8-10mph with the clutch out. On longer adventures I carry two counter shaft sprockets, stock and 1 tooth shorter so I can adjust for terrain.

If you are just doing back roads with lower speeds(<50) I think a 250 or 350 flavor of dual-sport would be fine as long as you are light enough that you don't crack a sub-frame. I've travelled some in India and it's common to see a family of 3-4 on a 125cc motorcycle. Don't get too hung up western adventure riding marketing, there are a lot of 125cc bikes around the world moving people.

Old 05-06-2023, 12:31 AM   #13

Shoot I should have asked if you have tried some 2 up outings on your Recon, was there enough room on the seat?