Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2021, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
this is a fairly reasonable side-by-side comparison.

https://www.motorcycle.com/specs/csc...ayan/base.html
Thanks for the read. I never paid much attention to RE. When they first came out and a local dealer picked them up briefly, I had a chance to see them in person. I felt they were a nice "throw-back novelty" but I couldn't see them any more than a city/suburb local street cruiser.

Now I guess they are doing well and being taken seriously. I simply can't see how their 411cc motor can make a measly 24.3 bhp. The RX3 does that (24.8) with a 250. If it put out what a 400cc motor SHOULD, I'd seriously think about looking at one.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #17

Found this nifty 0-60 calculator online which estimates based on hp and weight..
https://www.carspecs.us/calculator/0-60

Results for the RX4:
0-60 mph 5.116 seconds
Weight: 450 / HP: 40 / TQ: 27

Results for a former bike of mine (Honda Fury) which is a bit low from published 6.0s but still pretty close:
0-60 mph 5.256 seconds
Weight: 665 / HP: 57 / TQ: 79

Results for a former bike of mine (ZX14R) which is a bit low from the claimed 2.5s published:
0-60 mph 1.884 seconds
Weight: 590 / HP: 200 / TQ: 120

If this is any indication then the RX4 should be as fast or faster than my former Honda Fury, albeit less torque.. That bike was a published 13.5s quarter mile and was governed at 100mph. This is definitely fast enough for me if its close.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #18

Very close to pulling the trigger on this bike.. i plan to call CSC on Monday to order it.. they already gave me the heads up that it will be 6-8 weeks :( oh well.. still have all season to ride
Has anyone done any 2-up touring on the RX4 and if so, how did it perform? good enough power to handle the extra weight?
What must-haves should i purchase and have CSC install? ABS-switch?

Thanks again

Old 03-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #19

I think CSC is closed on Mondays.

I'm a fan of the CSC bash plate. Looks cool and might actually do some good .
Although I have the ABS switch I have only used it by accident...BTW, you will know that you have switched the ABS off because the speedo won't work in that mode. Oh, ask CSC to swap out the OEM plug for the NGK.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:44 AM   #20

Great info, thank you..
I'm noticing there isn't much RX4 action on this site.. hope to remedy that once i get mine with updates on the new year model, review, etc

Old 03-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Has anyone done any 2-up touring on the RX4 and if so, how did it perform?

Thanks again
I would get something bigger for 2-up touring (overnight trips).
You need multi-cylinders and at least 500cc for 2-up touring, IMHO.

-On the other hand, the RX4 should be great for more local 2-up riding like going to dinner, etc.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I would get something bigger for 2-up touring (overnight trips).
You need multi-cylinders and at least 500cc for 2-up touring, IMHO.

-On the other hand, the RX4 should be great for more local 2-up riding like going to dinner, etc.
Good point... although 2-up would probably be less than 10% of my usage so i think it would work

Old 03-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #23

Pulled the trigger. now the wait begins. I ordered the sapphire blue RX4 in stock configuration.. from reading online im not concerned about ABS being a detriment on the light offroading i may do. I also asked about sprockets but they dont have any options at this time.. that may be a trial and error if i need to go down that route to lower the gearing.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #24

Congrats on the New bike. yeah, the sprocket thing can be figured out later after you have the bike in hand if needed. I'm sure a quick email to JT sprocket with dimension will find a match.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #25

on my 2021 RX4 it has all the power I need, however at 70mph, burying the throttle is not going to put any strain on your neck,it will only accelerate slowly from there on....but on the bottom end it does just fine !
it's big limitation is it's outragious WEIGHT ! the specks say 450lbs.... but that has to be completely dry weight, normal riding and a full tank of gas and believe me that bike as got to be over 500lbs ! And 500lbs is alot for a 450cc motor to push around even if it puts out good HP for it's size.... the bike is just too heavy !
if I had to do it over again I would probably buy a used DR650 and get a larger gas tank and lowering kit for it ! and wing it from there....
I did buy better footpegs and hand guards for "Miss Piggy" and I made my own lowering link to lower it 32" is too tall for me ...especially with all that weight!

I can't help but wonder what that bike would be like if it weighed 250lbs instead !
.... everything on it is heavy.... the side stand is solid steel ! the rear wheel weighs a ton it's hard to pick up even with the shock out !!!
but really I am delighted with this bike it does what I wanted and it's brand new too !
the TFT dash is a marvel in itself, ABS and F.I. the bike is modern by any standard !
why it is so heavy is anyone's guess it shouldn't be near as heavy as it is !
as for 2 up riding I can't get my wife on it she waves good bye is all ! LOL
....but I have no doubt that from 65mph to 70mph would be a slow up hill climb but she could do it !
Bob......

Old 06-05-2022, 04:42 PM   #26

The statement that this motorcycle is heavy is wrong because it has accessories that other motorcycles in this class do not have, if you unscrew them all, and there is a bit of it you will find that the motorcycle has a normal weight this topic has already been touched on, and if you lack engine dynamics the only solution is to change the injection map remember that the motorcycle must meet the combustion standards, and since there is no catalytic converter the only way is to deplete the injection map.

Here is a similar digression on the RX3.http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_weight.html

Old 06-06-2022, 01:01 AM   #27

I have the 2021 RX4,1977 Triumph Bonneville 750 and 2012 Kawasaki 250R Ninja in my back yard but I am finding I don't have a light quick bike to hop on for a quick ride like the TT250.... (that is also in the back yard but it is the Kids and I won't touch it)
the RX4 is as heavy as the Triumph...in fact heavier by quite a bit, so it's not a quick light bike to hop on to go up the mountain ! I have put 120 miles on the TT250 to get it broke in for the Kid and went up the mountain a few times and it could be just the bike but it struggles at 65mph and I wouldn't want to push it any faster than that
.... and it is set up for a tall person, all my bikes are as low as I can get them and the Kids is very tall for me...
so the RX4 does not fit in that bracket for me.... it more fits in the Cruiser bracket than a quick hop on bike for a quick ride ! so the Ninja is the closest thing I have a the moment for that kind'a thing
I find the RX4 as a Cruiser more than anything, it has the storage ability in the saddlebags that come with it and the top box , so I can grab a bottle of water and throw it in and hop on and go.... but it is so heavy slow riding is a pain with it ! so I find myself sticking to paved roads mostly the same roads I take the Triumph on by the way
I am actually wondering if I should have gotten a TT250 for me instead of the RX4 !?!?
with the TT250 lowered and the lower seat it would be perfect for me ! under powered as the TT250 is it still is a great putt-putt machine !
I don't think I will be doing much, if any.... single track stuff with the RX4....it's just too heavy for that ! .... now the RX4 engine in the TT250 Frame would no doubt be a going beastie ! .... but that's never going to happen in my yard ! LOL
A good eventure Ride always winds up as a heck of alot of work.... and at the end of the day I am so beat i can hardly move....( i have suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome all my life) and it takes me 2 days to recover.... and I find myself not wanting to do that any more in my old age ! HAHAHAHAHAH
I've got all the camping stuff to do that kind of thing but I have been limiting myself to
day rides so I can sleep in my own bed at night... HAHAHAHAA!
maybe for a Younger more Hardy individual than myself the RX4 could be used for single track.... it is capable and can do that I am sure.... but it's weight will be a limiting factor on your rides !
lol I would have less fear of taking the Triumph 750 on single track rides than the RX4
... that should tell you something !
Bob.......

Old 06-06-2022, 01:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
The statement that this motorcycle is heavy is wrong because it has accessories that other motorcycles in this class do not have, if you unscrew them all, and there is a bit of it you will find that the motorcycle has a normal weight this topic has already been touched on, and if you lack engine dynamics the only solution is to change the injection map remember that the motorcycle must meet the combustion standards, and since there is no catalytic converter the only way is to deplete the injection map.

Here is a similar digression on the RX3.http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_weight.html

I have taken off the saddle bags and rear guards and rode the bike... it was slightly lighter no doubt but not that much... it weighs as much as a 750cc or 1000cc cruiser ..... it is NOT a light bike ! yes they stack all kinds of accessories on the bike this is true but unless your going to STRIP the bike down to the frame your not going to loose that weight !....
... I've added a better crash plate for the engine and a softer rear spring and it's heavy spacer and a lowering link and hand guards ADDING about 10~15 lbs..... so I made the problem WORSE....
the power of the engine is not the problem,..... I'm not a Hot rod Rider any more.... so stock is fine as long as it runs right.... this bike feels as heavy as the 1100cc Honda shadow I had years ago, it's top heavy and that makes it worse ! it weighs more than my triumph 750 for heavens sake ! how can that NOT be a problem !?!?!?!?!
I don't like talking down the RX4 ...it's my baby ! but this is one fact others should know before they get hooked into it.... once you pay for it it's yours for better or worse.... !
Bob......

Old 06-06-2022, 06:04 AM   #29

Honda shadow 1100cc 250kg dry.
Triumph 750 198kg dry.
Zongshen rx4 204kg dry including front gmolos rear trunks and casting for center trunk and engine cover.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #30

There is a price to be paid if you really want a lighter bike. All the things that make a bike lighter also add to the cost...alloy frame, swingarm and wheels, plastic gas tank and smaller tank. You can see this when you look at the lighter 400-600cc bikes, they cost almost double what the RX4 costs.