Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Shark update/Advice

Hey everybody, had the bike titled and legal for about a week now and I'm loving it got 130 miles on her so far. I'm having an issue in 4th and 5th gear were it seems to die out at around 7500 rpm and I have to press the clutch in and re-release it under throttle to get power back. I've already taken the carb off and checked the jets. Is this a break in thing or is there something I need to recheck like the valve lash or air/fuel screw adjustment? Any advice would be great. This is all at around 60 mph btw fastest I've gotten the bike up to so far. Other than that I love it. I like having a bike that stands out in a parking lot and on the highway. I'm in a military town so there are thousands of cruisers and crotch rockets all over the place, haven't seen but one other dual sport (a tt250) around here though. Also just ordered a set of heated grips along with hand guards and luggage any tips on best place to wire them in? Top is my bike bottom two are a possible paint job I'm thinking about after I fix the rev issue. Might replace the blue with gold still tossing around ideas in my head. Would appreciate input on anything mentioned,

Enjoy the ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0136.jpg (97.1 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1333.jpg (95.4 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG13341.jpg (95.2 KB, 255 views)

Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #2

nice looking bike,

let it break in 500 miles or so,, i really hope you changed the oil in it before you started to run it, (the rice oil that was in it from the factory is no good)
then start looking at valve adjustments and such.
as far as the wiring of the heated grips im sure someone here will send you in the right direction, I dont get along with electricity very well..

Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

Nice, I have the orange and white one. First thing I did was change the oil, and I had to adjust the back wheel cause the chain was way to tight. Sounds like you have carb issue. Do you have the idle set screw adjusted correctly? Should be idling about 1500 RPMS. Does it bog out in lower RPMS? Is the choke still on? I know that sounds stupid, but it happens.. lol

Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 AM   #4

With heated hand grips, depending on the wattage you'll want to run them off a relay connect to the battery with an inline fuse and then run a switch off an accessory wire to turn the relay on and off. You should be able to find an accessory wire under the headlight.

As far as the bogging issue goes... are you at wide open throttle when the problem occurs? If so, you may have to up the jet since you're getting more air than fuel. I think they come with a 110 jet stock. I'd try a 120 or 125.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Another thought is; the stock exhaust is very restrictive and may be causing a back pressure bottle neck. There's some nice aftermarket exhaust systems on eBay for around $130 shipped. I put one on my bike.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl6935 View Post
Another thought is; the stock exhaust is very restrictive and may be causing a back pressure bottle neck. There's some nice aftermarket exhaust systems on eBay for around $130 shipped. I put one on my bike.

What kind of power increase did you get with this, and how much louder is it? Whats your main jet are you using also?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

Yeah I definitely changed the oil and the brake fluid before I ever started it up idle hovers between 1500-1600 once warmed up and as long as the choke off position is with the lever facing up it's off after warm up I crank it and smoke a cigarette before I hop on it to give it time I'm thinking it might be a jet issue also but the plug is on the richer side when I check it maybe the idle jet and the bowl is running out of fuel? Also would a 120 be to much with stock exhaust/ air filter

Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarote9025 View Post
Yeah I definitely changed the oil and the brake fluid before I ever started it up idle hovers between 1500-1600 once warmed up and as long as the choke off position is with the lever facing up it's off after warm up I crank it and smoke a cigarette before I hop on it to give it time I'm thinking it might be a jet issue also but the plug is on the richer side when I check it maybe the idle jet and the bowl is running out of fuel? Also would a 120 be to much with stock exhaust/ air filter
What you're experiencing is what most everyone does on these "out of box" and it's just all the usual fixes.

Break it in first. It will change its attitude. Don't push it too hard until it's got about 500 miles on it, then change the oil again.

The carbs on these come dreadfully lean, which is probably causing your high RPM condition. The carbs are usually sealed up with break-off screws. Most people switch to the Mikuni VM 26 because it's a good carb, cheap and a wide variety of jetting is readily available.

Swap the spark plug to an NGK if you wish. Exhaust is a personal preference. My neighbors TT250 runs great with the stock exhaust.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #9

....oh....and move the needle clip to the fourth position down. If you don't have multiple grooves, put a small washer under the clip. This will raise the needle slightly helping the response.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

2lz so it is a break in thing I'm kinda impatient sometimes but really don't like it dying out on the highway with trucks tailgating me (has happened a few times already). I usually shift gears around 6-7k rpm I'm trying not to dog her out...yet. oh and i checked the wattage it runs from 12-24w depending on which heat setting i run will they require a relay or can the stator handle it on it's own not really too good with electronics btw so if it's a stupid question i apologize. ups just came will upload pics once top box is installed. thanks again for all input both past and future

Old 05-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarote9025 View Post
2lz so it is a break in thing I'm kinda impatient sometimes but really don't like it dying out on the highway with trucks tailgating me (has happened a few times already). I usually shift gears around 6-7k rpm I'm trying not to dog her out...yet. oh and i checked the wattage it runs from 12-24w depending on which heat setting i run will they require a relay or can the stator handle it on it's own not really too good with electronics btw so if it's a stupid question i apologize. ups just came will upload pics once top box is installed. thanks again for all input both past and future
You'll be drawing between one and two amps depending on what setting you have it on. The relay is used with a heavier gauge wire directly to the battery.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDoubleXA View Post
What kind of power increase did you get with this, and how much louder is it? Whats your main jet are you using also?
This is part of a system, involving carburetor, air cleaner, and air box, plus exhaust system. It all has to be working together in order to get the desired results.....ARH

Old 05-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #13

2LZ gave you sound advice and a cheat sheet of tweeks.....follow his advice. Ask questions and be patient. Working on and tweeking the bike will make you a much better bike owner in the long run....with patience! That's a good looking bike...ridesafe, be smart and make memories.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

i know dpl, theres a lot of very knowledgeable people here from what i can tell you included; and while i do know how to rebuild an engine from the block up two heads are better than one, so if i have a problem i prefer to ask people with more experience with that specific vehicle or engine. A lot of these china bikes are VERY similar. I ordered a set of main jets and a air/fuel screw so i can play with the carb a little and get it to act right and i got my rear top box put on. grips and hand guards should be here tomorrow and im off work for the weekend, I'm still not clear on if my grips NEED a relay or if it's just a good idea though. I will be wrenching on the bike tomorrow and will post pictures after it's done of all the new parts. These bikes may be extremely affordable but i have a feeling it's still gonna take all my money. If anyone has ideas on mods you've done to your bike that worked great whether adding comfort or utility I'm all ears and have no problem copying you lol. Style's more subjective.

Enjoy the Ride

Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #15

Ok so got all my new parts put on and rejetted the carb to a 110 main the bike will run 5 minutes sometimes 30 minutes others and will lunge in 2nd gear intermediantly didnt go passed 30 there was a cop behind me any ideas on what it could be