Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #1471

Phew finally caught up on this thread! I am surprised none of the TTs have crossed the border yet! If it wasn't for the fact that by the time it got up here most of the usable season would be gone, I would be considering the idea of ordering one in September but alas I can always look at the idea of saving up for one over the winter and ordering one late winter to have it here by spring Either way...i will have a TT eventually...in black
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Phew finally caught up on this thread! I am surprised none of the TTs have crossed the border yet! If it wasn't for the fact that by the time it got up here most of the usable season would be gone, I would be considering the idea of ordering one in September but alas I can always look at the idea of saving up for one over the winter and ordering one late winter to have it here by spring Either way...i will have a TT eventually...in black
Just put some studs in the tires and ride it anyway! Their heated grips also fit the TT, or so they say.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
Just put some studs in the tires and ride it anyway! Their heated grips also fit the TT, or so they say.

Wouldnt be the first time i have ridden a bike with studs on it (Ice Racing) or with snow on the ground lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #1474

I have to admit, the only times I've ridden in the snow have been accidents when I didn't read the forecast or it was wrong altogether. Typically, I commute year-round as long as the roads are free of ice. That's pretty much the only weather condition that will stop me from riding. Perhaps with the TT I will try it... but probably not. My wife takes it pretty well when I'm riding in the winter, but I bet she'd draw the line right there.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #1475

Heh I used to bring my Interceptor out around march...basically as soon as the roads were ice free...i got a lot of odd looks when i did that lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #1476

Yeah, lots of folks, especially my coworkers, think I'm nuts. On the other hand, I'm REALLY awake when I get to work in the morning when the high for the day is sub-freezing.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #1477

Quote:
Yeah, lots of folks, especially my coworkers, think I'm nuts. On the other hand, I'm REALLY awake when I get to work in the morning when the high for the day is sub-freezing.

Funny how that works eh?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #1478

Quote:
Yep! Yer nuts alright! ;-)
I did subfreezing, fog filled, year round riding in high school just because bikes were my only means of transportation for all four years.
As soon as I realized cars had defrosters and I didn't have to turn purple, that changed everything.
I'll never forget the ice that would fall out of my Levi cords when I straightened out my legs when I got to school.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #1479

Quote:
Yep! Yer nuts alright! ;-)
I did subfreezing, fog filled, year round riding in high school just because bikes were my only means of transportation for all four years.
As soon as I realized cars had defrosters and I didn't have to turn purple, that changed everything.
I'll never forget the ice that would fall out of my Levi cords when I straightened out my legs when I got to school.
I've found some good ways around the worst of the cold: when the high for the day is above freezing, I'll wear my heavy leather jacket with liner in. If it's only just above freezing, I'll put on a pair of ski pants. If the high for the day is below freezing, I'll wear my insulated mechanic's coveralls. The thick canvas does a fantastic job keeping the wind out and not having a gap between pants and jacket means I keep more heat in.

Now, my first two bikes didn't have heated grips or hand guards. When I got my NC700 that had heated grips and I put some hand guards on it, my world changed a little. Even thick, full-gauntlet leather gloves let some wind through, so cutting the wind and heating from inside made my commute a lot easier.

I may be nuts, but I'm not that crazy!

Old 08-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #1480

Quote:
I've found some good ways around the worst of the cold: when the high for the day is above freezing, I'll wear my heavy leather jacket with liner in. If it's only just above freezing, I'll put on a pair of ski pants. If the high for the day is below freezing, I'll wear my insulated mechanic's coveralls. The thick canvas does a fantastic job keeping the wind out and not having a gap between pants and jacket means I keep more heat in.

Now, my first two bikes didn't have heated grips or hand guards. When I got my NC700 that had heated grips and I put some hand guards on it, my world changed a little. Even thick, full-gauntlet leather gloves let some wind through, so cutting the wind and heating from inside made my commute a lot easier.

I may be nuts, but I'm not that crazy!
Yah, today's gear has changed everything when it comes to cold weather riding. I used to use my tore up leather oak splitting gloves and wrapped my face in a scarf my mom knitted, my senior year! Made a world of difference! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #1481

https://www.zoro.com/dewalt-heated-v...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Core heating

Seen a tv show where Heat camera shows fingers, hands and face with warm blood supply when used in hyper cold environments. Striking difference without.

Do they make these where you could plug into the bike? Then no worries about battery state.

COOL
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #1482

I bought this for that purpose, but I paid a lot less. I bought one for my Dad as well, so he could use it on a quad during hunting season: https://www.amazon.ca/Sunbeam-Heat-C.../dp/B009WQ8KF0
If you have a sore back, pour a glass of your favourite adult beverage, put this on and relax. Problem solved.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I bought this for that purpose, but I paid a lot less. I bought one for my Dad as well, so he could use it on a quad during hunting season: https://www.amazon.ca/Sunbeam-Heat-C.../dp/B009WQ8KF0
If you have a sore back, pour a glass of your favourite adult beverage, put this on and relax. Problem solved.

I find it ironic that the topic of convo has shifted to dealing with the sort of weather you and i would see Weld

On that note i may need to check that wrap out...
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #1484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
I find it ironic that the topic of convo has shifted to dealing with the sort of weather you and i would see Weld

On that note i may need to check that wrap out...
It's pretty much just you. We saw a skiff of snow for less than a day last winter. On that day, the local news made a big deal out of how it hadn't snowed in a year.

That said, coastal winds will chill you to the bone at only -10C.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #1485

Well, Utah does do a lot of bragging about having the best show on earth. I love the 4 distinct seasons here. It gives me a great variety of rides and conditions. It's nice to have a bike that I can ride around in any weather, not just a fair-weather bike. That's actually the one hesitation I have about the trash can mod for the air box. Since I ride in rain and sleet, I think it's good to have the protection of the air box. I tried pulling the top lid off, so we'll see how that pans out.