Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Hawk-minded Hoosier

Hey gang,

I registered a month or so ago, read a TON of great threads on here with some awesome advice and tips on a lot of things.

Originally, I came here as a result of searching for information about the Roketa MC-25/Jinlun JL-250P, and got off on a tangent after seeing post after post about the Hawk 250.

I'm looking to get back into riding, but haven't been on a bike in 20-25 years or more (I'm 47), so I was thinking about starting small, inexpensive so I don't tear up an expensive bike, or if I just don't like it I'm not out a ton of cash. It's literally been so long I just hope it all comes back to me.

Here's where I'm at - I'm a bigger guy - 6'1, 270. I want to get a bike that I can use to commute to work - 6 or 7 miles each way, about 2 miles of which is a 50mph state highway - NO expressways. Trails might be fun at some point, but won't be the reason I'm buying this bike.

Given that, can anyone help with these questions?

1) Will my fat ass look stupid sitting on a Hawk? (I realize I might look stupid on anything, but I'm talking about size-wise) I have visions of Tommy Boy sitting on a toddler bike going through my head

2) If I go the Hawk route, I'm already planning on 17/45 sprockets, a Mikuni, NGK plug and maybe an exhaust. Should I be able to maintain 50-55 mph for the small stretch of highway?

3) The subdivision I just bought a home in is only halfway built out. There's a lot of cleared land, dirt, and gravel roads where they are just laying out some new streets. I know the Hawk can handle it, but can the Hawk handle it with my weight on it?

4) I can't decide, assuming the Hawk is for me, which color is fastest. Right now I'm torn between black and blue. Any input?

-Bourbon

Old 06-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
Hey gang,

I registered a month or so ago, read a TON of great threads on here with some awesome advice and tips on a lot of things.

Originally, I came here as a result of searching for information about the Roketa MC-25/Jinlun JL-250P, and got off on a tangent after seeing post after post about the Hawk 250.

I'm looking to get back into riding, but haven't been on a bike in 20-25 years or more (I'm 47), so I was thinking about starting small, inexpensive so I don't tear up an expensive bike, or if I just don't like it I'm not out a ton of cash. It's literally been so long I just hope it all comes back to me.

Here's where I'm at - I'm a bigger guy - 6'1, 270. I want to get a bike that I can use to commute to work - 6 or 7 miles each way, about 2 miles of which is a 50mph state highway - NO expressways. Trails might be fun at some point, but won't be the reason I'm buying this bike.

Given that, can anyone help with these questions?

1) Will my fat ass look stupid sitting on a Hawk? (I realize I might look stupid on anything, but I'm talking about size-wise) I have visions of Tommy Boy sitting on a toddler bike going through my head

2) If I go the Hawk route, I'm already planning on 17/45 sprockets, a Mikuni, NGK plug and maybe an exhaust. Should I be able to maintain 50-55 mph for the small stretch of highway?

3) The subdivision I just bought a home in is only halfway built out. There's a lot of cleared land, dirt, and gravel roads where they are just laying out some new streets. I know the Hawk can handle it, but can the Hawk handle it with my weight on it?

4) I can't decide, assuming the Hawk is for me, which color is fastest. Right now I'm torn between black and blue. Any input?

-Bourbon
I like black

The hawk is a tall bike as far as China bikes go, I think that will compensate for the proportions. Also you may as well get geared up and buy great adv jacket so you look good doing it . 3rd, I don't give a dam what that prik thinks behind me as long as he can see me,... to you, advantage.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

I'm 6ft 250lbs and mine will push 65mph. You will want to stiffen the front forks. They put motor oil in the forks so change it out and use a good fork oil.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Andrew93

newrider93 AKA Andrew93

Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #4

Be sure to break the bike in correctly before running it wide open at 55-60.

newrider93 AKA Andrew93

Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice newrider. I've seen your videos along with motocheeze's and that's just fed the hawk fire in me. Are you running 17/45 sprockets on your hawk?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

Welcome, Bourbon! How many times have I said that...

The consistent complaint about the Hawk and bikes like it is that the rear shock is too stiff. You might find it to be perfect. Our Chinese friends make substantial frames and suspension, so it'll likely take what you can dish out. With the right mods, you should have no problem maintaining 55.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
Thanks for the advice newrider. I've seen your videos along with motocheeze's and that's just fed the hawk fire in me. Are you running 17/45 sprockets on your hawk?
I'm running a 17/43. The rear shock is stiff but it softens up after a while. I've found 58 mph to b the ideal speed

newrider93 AKA Andrew93