Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Swapped Hawk 250 Stock Spark Plug for NGK Iridium

Hey guys, just a tip. Today I swapped out the cheap stock plug for an NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9.

Here's the link on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1T7lR3L

Without making any other modifications or changing any settings I can report that as soon as I fired up the bike I immediately noticed a difference. The engine sounded better, and from the first time I rolled on the throttle I could feel a big difference in power delivery.

The throttle became much more responsive and it felt like there was more immediate torque.

I had my friend (a pro dirt bike rider) give it a whirl, and he reported feeling the same thing. Also, another friend said it sounded different. So I've got a high degree of confidence in suggesting that everyone spend the $9 and swap that stock plug ASAP.

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

looks like when you did the swap you increased the spark gap. that alone could account for a change in sound and feel.

I have no qualms about replacing a cheap plug though. I once had the core blow out of a plug while driving down the road, sounded pretty strange and getting a ride to the store to replace a sparkplug in my work parking lot was no fun.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

johnp... the gap does look different from the photo, but i'm with ya, wouldn't hurt for $9. i have a ngk already but was planning for the next plug to be ngk ir after a year or so use. THANKS FOR THE REPORT !!!

PS. i was planning to take another look at those cool side boxes you got
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

I have that plug in Q. Works good. I still come from the old school two stroke mentality though...I just don't want it to foul! Whether it made an actual running difference, I'm not sure. I hear they're supposed to last a really long time though.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

One of the best 'mods' anyone can do... ditch those Copper Core Spark Plugs

I quickly ditched mine for a Denso Iridium 5372 (I think was the number)... reason I got Denso over the NGK... it only cost me $5 or $6 to get one shipped to my front door Rock Auto Parts wins again

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #6

9 bucks!! that is highway robbery. We are china riders... we dont spend no stinkin 9 dollars on anything. I recommend you find a piece of scrap copper and a chunk of broke porcelain preferably from a broke toilet and make your own.

Just kidding.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Hey guys, just a tip. Today I swapped out the cheap stock plug for an NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9.

Without making any other modifications or changing any settings I can report that as soon as I fired up the bike I immediately noticed a difference. The engine sounded better, and from the first time I rolled on the throttle I could feel a big difference in power delivery.

The throttle became much more responsive and it felt like there was more immediate torque.

I had my friend (a pro dirt bike rider) give it a whirl, and he reported feeling the same thing. Also, another friend said it sounded different. So I've got a high degree of confidence in suggesting that everyone spend the $9 and swap that stock plug ASAP.

Is that the gap it came with stock? Would you mind measuring it? It'd be interesting to know if the original spark plug where gapped the same if there would be any improvement...

Old 05-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
9 bucks!! that is highway robbery. We are china riders... we dont spend no stinkin 9 dollars on anything. I recommend you find a piece of scrap copper and a chunk of broke porcelain preferably from a broke toilet and make your own.

Just kidding.
i got it, i laughed , i liked it
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-10-2016, 12:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post

Just kidding.
ROTFLMAO!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Is that the gap it came with stock? Would you mind measuring it? It'd be interesting to know if the original spark plug where gapped the same if there would be any improvement...
I did leave the gap stock on the Iridium plug. The Hawk says that the acceptable gap is between .6 - .8mm. And there is a visible difference between the two, but not quite as much as the photo seems to appear. :-) Still, I didn't have my gapper with me when I put it in, so I just shoved it in there and considered myself lucky.

HOWEVER, tomorrow I'll bring my gapper and measure both plugs and report back with the exact details...

2016 Hawk 250 - Black

Old 05-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #11

Ok, pulled out the gapper today and measured as follows:

Stock spark plug: .64mm
Iridium spark plug: .8mm

Also of note, the stock plug you see in the photo was changed after only 6 miles. I just pulled the Iridium plug with the bike at 27 miles and it's still nice and clean. So I don't know what all of that fouling says about the stock plug. Maybe someone smarter than me can comment...

2016 Hawk 250 - Black

Old 05-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #12

fouling could just be from break in

it might have felt better with a larger gap on the stock plug, but the NGK is still a better choice.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

Just wanted to see what you guys think. Too rich? Too lean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160607_1645244_rewind.jpg (78.6 KB, 5819 views)

https://www.youtube.com/c/Andrew93

newrider93 AKA Andrew93

Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #14

Also when I give the bike gas to accelerate it seems to bog down and hesitate on takeoff. I have a 20 pilot jet, do I need to go to a larger one? Currently running a 110 main which is doing great.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Andrew93

newrider93 AKA Andrew93

Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post

You got the wrong plug. I made this mistake. You should have got the NGK DR8EIX. Here is a pic of the right one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img145-13-400.jpg (73.1 KB, 5670 views)

Tags
hawk 250, spark plug