Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #1

Tbr7 No Start (Ground Wire with no connection to blame?)

Hello, figured Id make a new thread since this seems like a pretty weird issue

Just got my TBR7 today from TXPS, and began assembling it

So far, it has gone pretty well, stuff is pretty self explanatory for the most part

I will be adjusting valves, and rejetting carb before I ride, as well as checking chain tension, and going over all bolts. The usual stuff

However, as I was wiring up my turn signals I figured id throw the battery in and see if my setup worked

battery goes in, hook it up, and wallah, I put the key in and dash board lights up

Neutral light is on, rear turn signals (and the corresponding beeping) work, horn works, dash backlight works, etc.

But the front turn signals wont flash like the rears, the drivers side will flash incredibly dimly, and passenger side wont flash at all. Both sides work perfectly on the rear.

That leads me to my starter switch, it is soft, no feedback or clicking in any direction. When I try to start bike, it wont click, turn over, no relays clicking, switch is still soft... the works

Then I find this green ground wire (right near the battery) that seemingly has no male counterpart... Just a green (I assume) ground wire, that I cannot find a connection to. K have a feeling a lot of my issues stem from this green wire. But it has hardly any slack, and doesnt have a connection near by it can go into.

So does anyone have any tips? Should I just scrape off some paint, and take the female connector off then ground the bare wire to the frame? Seems kinda ghetto to me too... But what other choices are there?

Thanks for any and all advice, I appreciate any help I can get

Old 07-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain ThirdGen View Post
Hello, figured Id make a new thread since this seems like a pretty weird issue

Just got my TBR7 today from TXPS, and began assembling it

So far, it has gone pretty well, stuff is pretty self explanatory for the most part

I will be adjusting valves, and rejetting carb before I ride, as well as checking chain tension, and going over all bolts. The usual stuff

However, as I was wiring up my turn signals I figured id throw the battery in and see if my setup worked

battery goes in, hook it up, and wallah, I put the key in and dash board lights up

Neutral light is on, rear turn signals (and the corresponding beeping) work, horn works, dash backlight works, etc.

But the front turn signals wont flash like the rears, the drivers side will flash incredibly dimly, and passenger side wont flash at all. Both sides work perfectly on the rear.

That leads me to my starter switch, it is soft, no feedback or clicking in any direction. When I try to start bike, it wont click, turn over, no relays clicking, switch is still soft... the works

Then I find this green ground wire (right near the battery) that seemingly has no male counterpart... Just a green (I assume) ground wire, that I cannot find a connection to. K have a feeling a lot of my issues stem from this green wire. But it has hardly any slack, and doesnt have a connection near by it can go into.

So does anyone have any tips? Should I just scrape off some paint, and take the female connector off then ground the bare wire to the frame? Seems kinda ghetto to me too... But what other choices are there?

Thanks for any and all advice, I appreciate any help I can get
My son's TBR7 had the same exact rogue ground wire (female connector) at the battery. I did nothing, but it started. But we had a LONG list of problems with the TBR7. Look at post two in this thread:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30524

Old 07-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My son's TBR7 had the same exact rogue ground wire (female connector) at the battery. I did nothing, but it started. But we had a LONG list of problems with the TBR7. Look at post two in this thread:
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30524
Thanks for the advice. It was able to start! Turns out i was just misusing the start switch. Turn signals still act up in the front, but the bike starts now! Thanks! ill keep tinkering away. Cant wait to get my endorsement and get it on the road!

Old 07-05-2022, 08:33 PM   #4

Interesting. I do not think I had any rogue wires.

As for the front signals, have you double checked connectors behind headlight
and perhaps everywhere else?

I dielectric'd all my connectors. I doubt that would help with your issue tho.

Old 07-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #5

Yep, Ive tried switching the turn signal wiring all up. If I change it side to side, the passenger side will (very dimly) flash with the drivers side rear. Ive tried what I think to be every combination of wires related to the turn signals (I only see the 2 wires coming off each light, and the 2 separate female ends on the bike along with the one green one that has 2 female ends sharing 1 wire. Ill try to mix and match them some more tomorrow. Maybe each turn signal needs to split the green ground wire between them, hence why theres a 2-1 junction there? May be a long shot but I'ill try it

As for the rogue wire, I still havent figured that one out. Now that Ive got the bike running The turn signals are my only thing left not working. All other lights, horn, controls work as they should. Ill figure it out eventually haha

This is my first bike and first ever experience with a motorcycle other than a few mini bikes when I was younger. I have much to learn! Thanks for the help guys

Old 07-06-2022, 07:35 AM   #6

The dim lights sounds like a ground problem.
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 07-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #7

Have you tried grounding that wire? It is clearly a ground wire. Green and right there by the negative post! It doesn't seem necessary on my son's TBR7, so I haven't done anything about it. How could it be anything else besides a ground connection?!

Old 08-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #8

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. Been very busy with family emergencies this past month.

I have figured out the issues with the wiring.

The rogue green ground wire seems to serve no purpose. I believe it may be a ground for the extra auxillary wires on the handle bars (for aftermarket add ons?)

And the turn signals I was able to fix by starting over the front end wiring connections, and making SURE they were snugly fit

Since then the bike has treated me very well so far (30 miles lol)

Just passed MSF course, hope to get my endorsement soon and hopefully my tbr7 will be road legal shortly after

Old 08-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #9

Nice work getting endorsement and on the road. Cooler weather is on the way. Have fun

Tags
ground wire, no start, tbr7, turn signals