Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #16

"This, right here, was the purpose of life, was to ride these canyons over and over and over. And the RX3 was perfectly suited to the task, and I will always be grateful to it for bringing me that experience and these memories."

This. Exactly. Mrs. 2LZ and I live in Canyonland and the RX3 is perfect for it.

Also, changing the gearing will make a big difference.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #17

I like to think of "stock brakes" on most cars and bikes as something to keep you an "honest driver/rider"... the brakes are just good enough to try and give a hint for people to keep off the rear bumper of the vehicle in front of them

We really need to get a "Mechanics in the area" thread up and going... I would have been happy to get the rear brake working for you (or the previous owner) before that long and slightly dangerous ride up and down the mountain without it... could have hooked you up with some Neutra 131 for the fuel system cleaner/upper cylinder lube to keep the engine clean and lubricated on the break in. In my tests/experience Neutra works a heck of a lot better than Lucas (nothing wrong with that Lucas fuel treatment with PIB)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
We really need to get a "Mechanics in the area" thread up and going...
I was working on a location map just for that but ran into some issue with the one I was using. I've been trying to find another app.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Also, changing the gearing will make a big difference.
What is your recommendation for gearing? I think I saw where Spud said 13t front/46t rear?

I'm pretty much decided on getting the seat and some sprockets right away, and still trying to figure out whether to go for the 283 or the 298cc engine kit. I'd like to have those elements all in place before attempting another adventure on this bike.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I would have been happy to get the rear brake working for you (or the previous owner) before that long and slightly dangerous ride up and down the mountain without it...
Thanks! I know I'd be glad to help anyone I could with whatever I could too. FYI, I didn't attempt the mountain with the missing rear brake, I made sure the brake was working before trying that. The brakeless ride was from Denver down to Colorado Springs, and it was done at night so there was really no traffic anywhere, so even though I'd prefer never to ride anywhere without functional brakes, I believe the risk was adequately contained.

Quote:
I could have hooked you up with some Neutra 131 for the fuel system cleaner/upper cylinder lube to keep the engine clean and lubricated on the break in. In my tests/experience Neutra works a heck of a lot better than Lucas (nothing wrong with that Lucas fuel treatment with PIB)
I got the Lucas at the recommendation of CSC, and frankly I was astonished by the ratio of positive reviews on Amazon too, I mean, what product has a 4.5-star rating after 2,000 reviews? So I figured it'd be all right, but I'm glad to hear there's a potentially even better alternative!

Old 06-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #21

This ride report is classic! Thanks for an entertaining read. I have to say that your fuel mileage is a cause for concern. It is common for my RX3 to get 180 miles before the low fuel light comes on and then only take 2 gallons of fuel. Of course yours is still very low mileage so as it breaks in that will improve. If you do change sprockets I'd recommend changing the chain at the same time. The OEM chain is less than stellar (it is "O" ring, just not a high quality chain). I have the Seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference.

Peter Y.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #22

great story. I admit I only browsed through cause it was long, but still good. I missed the part about breaking it, but read quite a bit of the adventure anyway. Was out in the 4 corners area on a motorcycle trip a few years back. beautiful area for sure.

you have discovered what I did. 250 just don't quite get it for trips like this. I'm watching/waiting for a 400 or 500 that will fit what I really want to do in the future.

Love the look of the Harley too!

Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
This ride report is classic! Thanks for an entertaining read. I have to say that your fuel mileage is a cause for concern. It is common for my RX3 to get 180 miles before the low fuel light comes on and then only take 2 gallons of fuel. Of course yours is still very low mileage so as it breaks in that will improve. If you do change sprockets I'd recommend changing the chain at the same time. The OEM chain is less than stellar (it is "O" ring, just not a high quality chain). I have the Seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference.

Peter Y.
I agree, this was a very enjoyable and useful read.

Concerning the fuel mileage, I think it was just a combination of a brand new engine, not broke in, and a whole lot of wide open throttle. Nothing kills mileage faster than that.

For the seat, I too have the Seat Concepts seat and recommend it. One thing to bear in mind regarding it however, is that the foam is firmer than stock, which is a good thing; the OEM foam literally puts you on the seat pan, but the Seat Concept seat also raises you up about an inch higher into the slipstream. I noticed this immediately after fitting mine and ended up buying one of those windscreen extenders that they sell on Amazon for about $30 US. This helps throw the turbulent air from the windscreen up over my helmet, cutting down on the wind noise, which even with earplugs, was bothersome to me. It also had the added benefit of greatly reducing the amount of bugs that were able to reach my helmet visor in the summer time.

In regards to the drive chain, describing it as less than stellar is being charitable, I think. When a manufacturer's rep shows up to a 5000 mile promo ride with a spare, you may have a problem (according to a Chinese owner, this defect has been corrected on the incoming RX4).

Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
I got the Lucas at the recommendation of CSC, and frankly I was astonished by the ratio of positive reviews on Amazon too, I mean, what product has a 4.5-star rating after 2,000 reviews? So I figured it'd be all right, but I'm glad to hear there's a potentially even better alternative!
Nothing wrong with the Lucas. It does what it says on the tin, in my experience with it regards to the RX3. Since I started using it around the 4500 mile mark, my valve clearances have not budged and I am at 15,000 miles now. I use a gallon every 10,000 miles and it is available on Amazon for $24 US. Walmart usually has it for $30 US.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #25

Quote:
What is your recommendation for gearing? I think I saw where Spud said 13t front/46t rear?

I'm pretty much decided on getting the seat and some sprockets right away, and still trying to figure out whether to go for the 283 or the 298cc engine kit. I'd like to have those elements all in place before attempting another adventure on this bike.
For gearing, definitely get the 13T front if you keep the engine stock. I replaced my 14T with the 13T, kept the stock 44T rear on mine and now top out around 65-70 MPH on level ground with no headwind; going higher in the rear will reduce that, so be aware of it, since you are looking for more top speed, not less. If you install a big bore kit, then I don't know that you will need any sprockets changes, since the added torque should allow you to pull stock gearing just fine. This will give you more, top speed wise, than shorter gears will.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Did you get the 283cc kit, or the 300?

And the narrow seat is the one I'm looking at. Would you say it's a definite substantial comfort upgrade?
I bought the 283cc one Nzbrakelathes sells. Only one available at the time that I knew about.
I have the seat concepts narrow seat from CSC. The narrow part helps us short guys being able to point our legs down more so it's like having a shorter seat height. I've ridden many long days with it and think it's great. To me I have no comfort issues with this bike. rj

Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
This ride report is classic! Thanks for an entertaining read. I have to say that your fuel mileage is a cause for concern. It is common for my RX3 to get 180 miles before the low fuel light comes on and then only take 2 gallons of fuel.
My first tank got over 220 miles before the low fuel light even came on. But that was when keeping the RPMs below 5000. The two tanks that ran out, I was riding at 100% wide open throttle, and that dropped the MPG to about 44.

Keeping the bike below 55 mph (GPS) should result in mpg of around 60-65.

Quote:
If you do change sprockets I'd recommend changing the chain at the same time.
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
I have the Seat Concepts seat and it made a huge difference.
That's what I wanted to hear. Glad the improvement is substantial, and I put one in my CSC shopping cart already! Thanks!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
you have discovered what I did. 250 just don't quite get it for trips like this. I'm watching/waiting for a 400 or 500 that will fit what I really want to do in the future.
There's nothing really out there that quite pushes all the right buttons. The RX3 is so close on so many things, but it just needs more engine. I was very interested in the Royal Enfield Himalayan with its 411cc engine and its gobs of torque, and had pretty much made up my mind to buy that ($4500 MSRP plus fees and taxes) when I stumbled across the auction for this RX3 and couldn't pass it up. I found out later that the Himalayan is slower than the RX3 even...

The Versys 300X is the closest to what I want, a nimble lightweight that can hit highway speeds, but it's literally 2x to 3x the price for only another 50cc. If they make a Versys 400, or a Himalayan 650, then those would be very interesting indeed.

Benelli makes a 500, but it's massively heavy for its power, and I want a light bike, light for picking up by myself on the trail in the mud.

I'm keeping an eye on the Moto Guzzi V85 TT also. It's not as expensive as the Triumph or BMW options, should have decent power, and has an awesome retro look to it. And it's not overly heavy. But it's pretty tall, at 32.7 inches it's probably 2" taller than the RX3.

Not much out there for us short-inseam riders...

Quote:
Love the look of the Harley too!
Thanks! Very happy with how it turned out.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
For the seat, I too have the Seat Concepts seat and recommend it. One thing to bear in mind regarding it however, is that the foam is firmer than stock, which is a good thing; the OEM foam literally puts you on the seat pan, but the Seat Concept seat also raises you up about an inch higher into the slipstream.
The stock seat's a little high for my stumpy legs as-is, so I was planning on getting the "narrow" seat, which they claim is the same seat height as the stock. I am assuming you got the "normal" seat, which raised you up an inch?

Quote:
I noticed this immediately after fitting mine and ended up buying one of those windscreen extenders that they sell on Amazon for about $30 US. This helps throw the turbulent air from the windscreen up over my helmet, cutting down on the wind noise, which even with earplugs, was bothersome to me.
Quite interested in getting one of those, or the custom windshield that Yoo in Thailand makes (or made? Last post seems to be about 2 years ago, so I don't know if that's still an option).

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
For gearing, definitely get the 13T front if you keep the engine stock. I replaced my 14T with the 13T, kept the stock 44T rear on mine and now top out around 65-70 MPH on level ground with no headwind; going higher in the rear will reduce that, so be aware of it, since you are looking for more top speed, not less. If you install a big bore kit, then I don't know that you will need any sprockets changes, since the added torque should allow you to pull stock gearing just fine. This will give you more, top speed wise, than shorter gears will.
That's the debate. Will the engine do what I want, or will I need lower gearing too, and I don't want to go too low.

So I'm thinking of getting both the 13t front and the 46t rear, with the 283cc engine. I'm hoping that the 283 plus the stock front sprocket and the 46t rear will be a good solid highway combination, and then when I get to the destination I can swap out the 14t front for the 13t and have more pull up hills and mountains, where top speed isn't necessary anymore.