Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Bad Battery

So I am the guy that got the used CL RX3 and the thing hasn't started very well since I got it in Dec. So today I take a video of the bike and CSC informs me that yes, looks like the battery is bad, and no, it isn't under warranty.
His reply was that a battery is a consumable and not covered under my 1 yr, unlimited miles, parts only warranty (because I bought it used).
The reason I am a little miffed is because they know many of the first year bikes came with bad batteries. A battery should last more than 5 months, consumable or not. So I am not in the CSC has great customer service camp.

Here is a link to my video. (I was going to take it down but now I think I will leave it up.)

Will

Old 03-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

I've had battery issues with every bike I've ever owned. New and used. It's just par for the course with me.

However, on my Cyclone, there's a WPS Lithium battery installed, so I never (hopefully) have to worry about the battery issues again.

I knew ahead of time that the bike came with a Yusa crap-tastic battery. So I went in prepared.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLorangeRX3 View Post
?.... CSC informs me that yes, looks like the battery is bad, and no, it isn't under warranty.

His reply was that a battery is a consumable and not covered under my 1 yr, unlimited miles, parts only warranty (because I bought it used).

The reason I am a little miffed is because they know many of the first year bikes came with bad batteries. A battery should last more than 5 months, consumable or not. So I am not in the CSC has great customer service camp.

Here is a link to my video. (I was going to take it down but now I think I will leave it up.)

Will
Will, I agree that a battery is a consumable, like tires and brake pads.

But a "defective" battery is a different story. And as documented in Joe Burk's book, it is a known problem.

Since RX3's have only been in US customers hands since last April, less than a year, the battery clearly has not died of old age.

Maybe the fact that, as not the original owner, the battery is not covered by the warranty is in the fine print.

IMO, CSC should have at least offered you a replacement at a discount, although you can probably get one off eBay, for less money.

Certainly a lost opportunity for CSC.

Is your battery the same as the one in my RX3 from the second shipment?

jb

Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

I checked the RX3's Owner's Manual and the Service Manual CD, and did not find any printed version of the warranty with the exact terms.

On the CSC website the following is printed:

"Warranty Disclaimer
This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, CSC Motorcycles, LLC disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. CSC Motorcycles, LLC does not represent or warrant that the functions contained in the site will be uninterrupted or error-free, that the defects will be corrected, or that this site or the server that makes the site available are free of viruses or other harmful components. CSC Motorcycles, LLC does not make any warrantees or representations regarding the use of the materials in this site in terms of their correctness, accuracy, adequacy, usefulness, timeliness, reliability or otherwise. Some states do not permit limitations or exclusions on warranties, so the above limitations may not apply to you."

I believe the above applies only to the website, not the actual motorcycles, but I am not sure.

Other than the stated 1 year parts and labor, and 2 year parts, I am unable to find any other specific terms and conditions of the warranty.

I would like to read the exact terms and conditions of the warranty.

Perhaps someone can point me to the proper place so I can read them.

Limited Warranties are usually printed in the front or back of the Owner's Manual for most bikes.

jb

Old 03-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

It's what... $40 to ship a brand new AGM/Gel battery of that size... don't see why a better battery couldn't be covered under warranty... but you always got to bring your best 1000x magnifier and read all the "fine/micro print" when buying things now-a-days.

I almost had to fight Subaru of America to replace my transmission under their "Extended 100k Premium Powertrain Warranty"... at 60k miles on the car/engine/transmission and 4 months left on my warranty they tried to deny it...

Subaru spent weeks taking everything apart and sending fluids and metal parts/shavings to secret labs to prove I somehow forgot to put the 'Retaining Pin' (I think is what they called it) into the Differential during assembly...

Fluids were sent to labs... turns out I was using "Genuine Subaru" fluids all along ()... pictures and metals sent off to labs... turns out I never over heated the components and "no ware detected from improper clutch/transmission use" ()...

They seriously spent 2.5 weeks and several THOUSANDS of dollars (over $6k) before they finally decided to replace a $4k transmission under the warranty they sold me... only then did they finally replaced it with a new one... it had to be about $14,000 in labor, shipping old and new parts, and all the testing they did...

And that is from a huge multi-million/billion $ company... "Subaru"/"Toyota"/"Lexus"... I can't imagine getting anything replaced under warranty with a China Bike (the word "Not covered/can't do it" probably comes up a lot)... no matter how premium the "badge" is.

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
It's what... $40 to ship a brand new AGM/Gel battery of that size... don't see why a better battery couldn't be covered under warranty... ..... I can't imagine getting anything replaced under warranty with a China Bike (the word "Not covered/can't do it" probably comes up a lot)... no matter how premium the "badge" is.
I think the point is that CSC has promoted themselves as a "different" Chinese motorcycle dealer through their emphasis on customer service.

And to their credit, in every instance I have read about, CSC has gone the extra mile in providing superior customer service...better than the major brands.

That is why I was surprised by their response to FLorange's problem.

jb

Old 03-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

I understand CSC cant just keep giving things away forever on these bikes. But I am another one that thinks this battery problem is a known issue with some of the bikes right off the boat and the bike should be supplied with a decent working battery. I agree with you CSC should replace the battery if they truly feel that is the cause of the slow turnover. The battery is defective from the get go and that's not right.

/

Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

I also wonder if I am being treated a little differently because I did not buy it from them but was able to find a golden opportunity and save about $1400 on a used model. But they are the ones that told me that I had a 1 year parts warranty because I asked via email before buying the bike.

Will

Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #9

UPDATE:
While at my son's soccer game an email came in stating that they read the forums and saw my posts and offered an unknown discount on a replacement. But I declined. I can get free 2 day shipping from Amazon, prob cheaper too.

Will
'15 Faded Orange

Old 03-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #10

The sealed AGM motorcycle batteries they sell at WalMart work perfectly and they're only around $40.00. Get the largest capacity battery that will fit in the RX3 battery space. Or you can spend $150.00 and get yourself a lithium ion battery that drops a bunch of weight.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query...ycle%20battery

/

Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLorangeRX3 View Post
UPDATE:
While at my son's soccer game an email came in stating that they read the forums and saw my posts and offered an unknown discount on a replacement. But I declined. I can get free 2 day shipping from Amazon, prob cheaper too.

Will
'15 Faded Orange
Will,

When you receive the new battery from Amazon, let us know if it solves the start up problem.

I 'm keeping an eye on my battery too, but it has not shown any signs of failure.

I gave it an overnight charge before I even rode the bike, and all seems fine. But I ride nearly every day. It doesn't get much time to discharge.

I'm still surprised CSC had to be prodded to make an offer. I guess it's better late than never.

I would still like to see a printed detailed copy of the warranty, and know if it is transferable.

jb

Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post

I would still like to see a printed detailed copy of the warranty, and know if it is transferable.

jb
I was told before I bought the bike that a used bike has a 1 year, parts only warranty.

Will