Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 10:27 PM   #1

Best dual sport bike for the street?

Kind of hoping to find a golden egg here.

Something like the dlx 150.
Preferably around 180-200lbs, but with 6 gears, and if possible fuel injected.
Somewhere in the 150-200cc range, maybe 250 tops.

Does anything come close to this?

Ideally a ~175cc-200cc, so perhaps getting a 125-150cc bike with an engine upgrade could be my ideal?

Old 05-04-2024, 12:05 AM   #2

Everything you want is out there, minus the weight requirement. 200lbs or less is pushing it a bit. Especially for something street legal. The 6 gears may also be a bridge too far. Not many 6 speed 200cc or less engines, at lest not in any dual sports that I know of.

Anything with a Horizontal Honda clone engine will be 4 speeds, or a 5 speed with specific engines. The 6th gear is also fairly uncommon with the CB and CG vertical clones save specific Lifan or Zongshen applications, and most of those are 172FMM engines, which are 250cc.

You could turn a Lifan KPM200 into a scrambler style bike. It has about as much suspension travel as a Hawk lol. Just need to put some 17 inch dual sport tires on it. The only requirement it doesn't meet is the weight.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-04-2024, 09:18 AM   #3

The CG clones (230cc) are more road-worthy. These would include Hawk, Raven, Bashan Storm, Titan etc. These are all 5 speeds, the latter being more enduro shaped. But once you've gone over 250lbs, you can get the 6 speed in a Lifan KPX. Watch Bill Hilly's videos in the video and pics section... It's a great bike. For about $1000 less, the Templar X also has the 6 speed. Those are just selling out fast and in fact the 5 speed Templars are also not in stock anywhere.

At 150cc level, the Storm DLX is a bargain at $1000. But it's a 4 speed. As I said, you might want a bigger engine if you are intending to be on the road, and by road I mean two lane stuff. Fourlane highways attract heavy, fast vehicles. It's pretty dangerous out there for anything under 250cc.

Last edited by Thumper; 05-04-2024 at 10:00 AM.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:27 AM   #4

Are there any engine upgrades for the dlx150?
That one is rated at 180lbs, but not fond of the 4 speed, and definitely will need a bbk or better engine/transmission.

Hopefully if there is something that fits, it'll still be at 200lbs or below.

I'd even take a 5 speed if need to. But the weight, most of them are above 250lbs, which is kind of on the heavier side for these kind of bikes.

Old 05-04-2024, 10:45 AM   #5

Like Dan said, it's going to be hard to find a bike that light in a Chinese Dual Sport. Even in the Japanese bikes, often the weight reduction comes at the expenses of an electric starter. The 6th gear is not as great as you may think, because it's cheap,and easy to just change sprockets on the 5 speed bikes, which from my experience have enough grunt in the low gears to sacrifice a little. To me, one thing that concerns me on some of the newer Chinese Dual Sports is the fact that they are " technically" off road bikes, and while many, and probably most seem to get then registered, some have problems. The first Chinese bike I bought was a Brozz, and paid $1950 delivered for it a few years
ago, and at the time the RPS Hawk, and TBR7 were selling for around $500 cheaper delivered. The Brozz, and the DLX Hawk, were both the same price, and both had the Federal Highway approval, metal tag. I didn't choose the Brozz because it was nicer(which it was), but because I didn't want to gamble on its road legality. I chose my KPX over bikes like the Titan, and Templar for the same reason. I have bought 2 Chinese bikes, very slightly used a TBR7D, which already had a Title, and a Hawk, that had the original paperwork, but I took a chance on getting it titled. It took it to a local title place, and they handled it, with no problem. I still have the Hawk, and my KPX. I paid around $2850 shipped for my KPX, and glad I did now, because evidently the price is about $500-600 bucks higher now according to the Facebook groups. At first my intention was going to be to use it more like a street bike, and my Hawk as the back road bike, but I got bored and warmed my Hawk up some, and then geared it up from the 16/46 sprockets that I had been running, to a 17/46 setup, and now I catch myself running the poor old Hawk more than I should. LOL. I like the CG motor, and think they probably have the edge ( at least for my style) on secondary roads. I have around 4,000 miles on the Hawk, and a little over 2,000 on the KPX now, and I can tell you that the gas mileage is hugely different between the two, enough so that the price difference between the KPX, and a more basic CG Dual Sport can eventually be absorbed by the fuel
savings . I catch myself constantly being low in gas in my Hawk, and not nearly as often on the KPX, even though I have been using them about the same lately.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 05-04-2024 at 02:46 PM.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:18 PM   #6

I don't know where you are finding any dual purpose motorcycles in the entire world under 200lbs with 6 speed transmission.

I have a KTM 2-stroke that came with no battery, no lights, no STARTER, NO VALVES in the compact head, and a teeny motocross circuit race/heat scaled gas tank. It has Takasago aluminum wheels, everything is aluminum alloy other than spokes, bearing races/bearings, internal engine components, and nuts/bolts which are generally stainless steel. Even the Brembo brake pistons and calipers and wheel hubs are cast aluminum alloy. This is state of the art stuff and I can tell you it performs as such. But it weighs 225 lbs. It DOES have two radiators since it is a liquid cooled engine, and they are also alloy construction. The entire cooling circuit employs less than 3 lbs of coolant.

Off road, the KTM is nimble, and stiff/taught, with exceptional braking and ultralight clutch, shifting like butter. I don't think it is heavy at all. I can do a wheelie drop turn (180 degrees) in single track. And the front wheel is strong enough to handle it. Light weight. High end performance. I've never owned a bike with these capabilities before this KTM 250SX.

So I DON'T like taking it on the road. It is TOO LIGHT. Sure, it will get me to the trail on two lane stuff, but I'd be a fool to expect more road-worthiness.

You are seeking a motorcycle made of unobtainium. It doesn't exist, not from Japan, not from Austria, not from Canada, and certainly not from China.

You will have to compromise on weight, or features.

Last edited by Thumper; 05-04-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Are there any engine upgrades for the dlx150?
That one is rated at 180lbs, but not fond of the 4 speed, and definitely will need a bbk or better engine/transmission.

Hopefully if there is something that fits, it'll still be at 200lbs or below.

I'd even take a 5 speed if need to. But the weight, most of them are above 250lbs, which is kind of on the heavier side for these kind of bikes.
The ZS190 comes with a 5 speed manual and can be swapped into most bikes that use the horizontal honda engine clones since it is one too. They cost about a grand delivered though, so definitely not a cheap way to go about it.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I like the CG motor, and think they probably have the edge ( at least for my style) on secondary roads. I have around 4,000 miles on the Hawk, and a little over 2,000 on the KPX now, and I can tell you that the gas mileage is hugely different between the two, enough so that the price difference between the KPX, and a more basic CG Dual Sport can eventually be absorbed by the fuel
savings . I catch myself constantly being low in gas in my Hawk, and not nearly as often on the KPX, even though I have been using them about the same lately.
It's that lower and middle rpm torque that makes the CG such a sweet city and secondary road bike. They may be a bit anemic up top, but at around town and country highway speeds up to 55mph, the CG250 is a sweet little engine. It's when you start trying to really push it in the upper rpm ranges in the higher gears where you can really feel the OHC engines come into their own more, but for low speed stuff, the CG is the king of the "tractor factor." Now with the cam and big bore setup, it's even better. My bike accelerates harder with the "17/45" setup it has on it vs a stock bike with a 15/50. I never find myself going beyond half throttle until I need to get to those highway speeds.

As for the fuel economy. It's not surprising. The EFI bikes are tuned very lean from the factory, which is the biggest contributing factor. Since they run a head temp sensor, the EFI can be run lean and then only add fuel if head temps start getting too high to help cool it back down. Carbs are sorta just stuck with one fuel setting, and keeping them on the lean side can be a tad tricky. If you get the fueling really dialed in on the pilot and needle you can get the economy of the carb bikes a lot higher than people would think. My Cammed, big bored, ported head bike has a VM26 clone on it, and after a couple of tanks my fuel economy riding around town is in the 70-72mpg range. On my first Hawk, which was just bolt ons and the same carb and sprocket/tire size setup, I could manage 75mpg average just riding normally.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:43 PM   #9

I really don't know what mileage I am getting on either bike, But I need to measure. Usually when my fuel light goes to flashing on the Hawk, it takes about 2 gallon. On the Burnt Run, Mud Run KPX video, I can be heard saying " It seems to be running pretty good on that gas. Well the story behind that is that I was riding the KPX, and knew I didn't have a lot of gas when I left the house, but I intended on getting some in Reedy WV, because I knew they had a gas station, and store. It was a little longer than I remembered getting there, because I hadn't been through there for so many years. Well I had 2 bars on my gas gauge, so I wasn't worried much. I got into Reedy, and stopped at a garage, that I thought may have once been the gas station that I remembered. I asked if there was still a gas station, and the guy said, yeah right down that way, but somebody said they got water in their gas, because Reedy had flooded. The closest Town was Spencer, and it would have been about 15 miles on a secondary road away, and probably at least 30 miles East of home, so I thought I would risk it. I pulled into the gas station/ store, and there was a guy in a Jeep Cherokee, and he said he had been running it, and didn't have any problem. They had 3 pumps, but 2 pumps had parts missing, and the one that did work was a manual shut off. It said premium, and had an older sticker on it that said the pump was condemned. I got my gas, and went in to pay. I asked the girl working, if it was premium, and she said yeah, but she may not have really know. Well the bike did good on it, so it all worked out.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I really don't know what mileage I am getting on either bike, But I need to measure. Usually when my fuel light goes to flashing on the Hawk, it takes about 2 gallon. On the Burnt Run, Mud Run KPX video, I can be heard saying " It seems to be running pretty good on that gas. Well the story behind that is that I was riding the KPX, and knew I didn't have a lot of gas when I left the house, but I intended on getting some in Reedy WV, because I knew they had a gas station, and store. It was a little longer than I remembered getting there, because I hadn't been through there for so many years. Well I had 2 bars on my gas gauge, so I wasn't worried much. I got into Reedy, and stopped at a garage, that I thought may have once been the gas station that I remembered. I asked if there was still a gas station, and the guy said, yeah right down that way, but somebody said they got water in their gas, because Reedy had flooded. The closest Town was Spencer, and it would have been about 15 miles on a secondary road away, and probably at least 30 miles East of home, so I thought I would risk it. I pulled into the gas station/ store, and there was a guy in a Jeep Cherokee, and he said he had been running it, and didn't have any problem. They had 3 pumps, but 2 pumps had parts missing, and the one that did work was a manual shut off. It said premium, and had an older sticker on it that said the pump was condemned. I got my gas, and went in to pay. I asked the girl working, if it was premium, and she said yeah, but she may not have really know. Well the bike did good on it, so it all worked out.
It's always tricky comparing fuel economy. I live in a relatively flat area. We do have some decently steep hills, and quite a few of them, but most of my riding is done in relatively flat areas. My biggest enemy here is wind, and head winds in particular will wreck my fuel economy on the Hawk because it has to work so much harder to do the same speeds.

I know more than a few people have reported the KPX economy in the 80ish mpg range, and most people seem to get about 65mpg average on the Hawks with the generic main jet and washers under the needle carb tuning.
A 15-20mpg difference is believable.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:56 PM   #11

as mentioned the ZS190 5 speed horizontal will 'fit' in most horizontal engine framed cycles...

the PR250 is the counter balanced 6 speed 172FMM-5 engine found in the templar X 250 if you want 6 gears...

under 20 HP 6 gears is borderline useless as there is not enough power to make gear spread worthwhile...

what is the 'street' are we talking urban commuting or back road pootling...

A dualsport only for the street might as well look for more street oriented type motorcycles...

The new CSC wolf 125 trail 125 clone might be the ticket...

otherwise just go the DLX150 when its in stock or find a used 1 and slap the ZS190 5 speed into it if you want the small dirtbike look with minimal weight

Old 05-05-2024, 01:52 AM   #12

yeah, 6 gears would work really well for touring.
I've always strived for extra overdrive gears.
Basically, if I can reach top speed in 4th gear, and have 5th and 6th gear to get lower RPM, mainly to drive in 35-55mph areas, that's ideal for me.

That's how my Roketa MC 05 127 got 120MPG peak, 96MPG avg, and my Honda Rebel 250 got about 100MPG peak (90MPG avg).
Peak being ~40MPH riding, few stops. Avg being top speed, or highway riding, which happens to be about the same as suburb riding on those bikes.

One of the reasons I went with a Vader 150, was because the Roketa 127 was kind of a bit slow in acceleration. Granted, it had only 4 gears, and step through as well...
And I had swapped the 48T rear sprocket for like a 29T or something that extreme.
However, I was kind of disappointed in the Vader 150/Condor 150, with maximum gearing swap, it still was running higher RPMs as I'd like to see.
The engine runs well at lower RPM, and I wished I could fit sprockets to make use of that low end grunt, even at higher speeds.
The DLX150 with a 190/212 might look interesting, but I hear the saddle isn't too comfy for longer rides.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 AM   #13

Low power dual sport has a use for 6 gears. It can allow you to have a super low first and low second gear with a wide ratio spread so that 6th gear can be a great highway gear for a good balance of speed and rpm. That way you can keep the off road power and still have good street manners too.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #14

There is a great one!

I purchased the TrailMaster tm38ex, assembled it with no problems and it is an excellent, lightweight dual sport bike. I am currently looking for a smaller rear sprocket (Help anyone?) for it. The 51 tooth stock limits top speed to 65mph at redline. I want something like 47 tooth and it should be excellent on road. I did change tires from the MX only to a pair of Tusk dual sport tires and love them. I have the part number but can find no one who can order it.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeGastonHank View Post
I purchased the TrailMaster tm38ex, assembled it with no problems and it is an excellent, lightweight dual sport bike. I am currently looking for a smaller rear sprocket (Help anyone?) for it. The 51 tooth stock limits top speed to 65mph at redline. I want something like 47 tooth and it should be excellent on road. I did change tires from the MX only to a pair of Tusk dual sport tires and love them. I have the part number but can find no one who can order it.
Rebel gears makes custom sprockets. Just have your OEM sprocket dimensions, or send it to them, and they will make one with the desired tooth count.
4 tooth isn't going to make a noticeable difference quite often
I myself would swap a 51t with something like a 35 if it would fit.
Check the bolt diameter, and swingarm clearance. Then go as small as you can go.

For a 250 to do 60mph it needs to rev below 6k rpm in 4th or 5th (second last gear). That way you'll have top speed in this gear, and 15mph lower than peak speed in final gear (good for suburbs, and good in fuel economy).