Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2012-bmw-k1600gtl-review-90469.html

The new Beemer.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...led-90438.html

The 'new' Gold Wing. :roll:

Given my riding personality, given the choice of either one, if I was in the market for such a bike, I would likely buy the BMW.

Lord help me. :roll:
Egads! 8O That Beemer is a very nice motorcycle! The king is dead; long live the king!?? :roll:

However, you make an excellent point regarding the Gold Wing's legendary longevity. Nevertheless, if one is going to spend that much money for a motorcycle, he can probably afford to maintain the Beemer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #17

The guys at the Gold Wing forum are apoplectic trying to speak badly about the Beemer. They know the Wing's 36 year run as the best touring motorcycle in the world may have ended.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
The guys at the Gold Wing forum are apoplectic trying to speak badly about the Beemer. They know the Wing's 36 year run as the best touring motorcycle in the world may have ended.
I don't understand this "brand loyalty" mindset. :roll: If something good comes along, don't badmouth it just because you own something different!! 8O The new Beemer is a great bike, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the Gold Wing. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #19

Correct. I have no brand loyalty ALTHOUGH will always try to buy American if they are competitive in any given arena. For me the Harley was not competitive with the Gold Wing in the touring arena so I went with the Wing. Plus the Wing was made in Maryville, Ohio which last I checked was America. 8)

With that said the Germans build some fine machinery. BMW, Porsche, VW, and MB all produce some well engineered good performing vehicles, although I am not at all impressed with the current trend for greater complexity and computer automation. I'll drive, thank you very much, not some layer driven software.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #20

The Germans are great scientists and engineers, Doc. German aircraft were generally superior to Allied aircraft during World War I. Also, most German military hardware was superior to most Allied military hardware during World War II (tanks, aircraft, V-1 and V-2 rockets, first jet aircraft, et cetera). We are very lucky we beat the Germans in the race to develop the atom bomb. 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #21

We won that war by a too narrow margin. The insanity and evil of the Satan posessed Hitler outweighed his military acumen. As a Polish/Romanian Jew I know this particularly well

Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #22

Quote:
We won that war by a too narrow margin. The insanity and evil of the Satan posessed Hitler outweighed his military acumen. As a Polish/Romanian Jew I know this particularly well
I'm sorry to stir up bad memories, Doc. :( I'm thinking I should delete my previous post. :oops:

Spud :?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #23

Not bad memories, just reality. Plus nothing to stir up. Its always real. Delete nothing. It's all good.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #24

Wow! The BMW and the Goldwing are both beautiful bikes! I almost took the plunge on a 1150 Adventure a couple of weeks ago, but the seller's lack of a timely reply (two weeks!) kind of turned me off of it. Still, it was a beautiful bike...

I do have to say though, your Wing and Miss Megan both look fantastic! You are a very fortunate fellow

Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #25

Quote:
The 1850cc engine commonly goes to 300,000 miles and above, with only routine care.
There's a fine reason for brand loyalty.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
The 1850cc engine commonly goes to 300,000 miles and above, with only routine care.
There's a fine reason for brand loyalty.
That's a superb reason for brand loyalty! However, I don't know why some Gold Wing owners want to put down the new Beemer.

My first motorcycle was a Honda, and I loved it. I now own a Honda XR650L, and I love it. However, as with most motorcycles, the XR650L has some known issues.

1) Don't us the stock countershaft sprocket, or the countershaft splines will strip.
2) The DC CDI unit is prone to failure.
3) The big bike needs an oil cooler.
4) The rear subframe has been known to fail under moderate loading.
5) The headlight mounting is fragile.

As I have been discovering, and resolving these issues, I have been amazed to learn some XR650L owners are in denial about these problems; they refuse to believe Honda could ever make a design mistake. :roll: Solutions are available for all the problems I listed above, but some people refuse to acknowledge the problems, and implement the solutions. :? Yet many of these same people will badmouth Chinese motorcycles, and proclaim they are all junk. :roll: Reflecting upon this situation the last few months has given me a new perspective on brand loyalty.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #27

Gold Wing issues:

No stock rider's backrest.
No stock highway bars/pegs.
Non electrically adjustable windshield.
Heated seats and grips prone to failures.
Not a six speed.
An 1850cc Six should make more than 125 HP, dontcha think?

Goldwing loyals defend all these flaws, and even refer to the parent company as Mother Honda.

Any wonder I hang out here mostly?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 AM   #28

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle...1800_gold_wing

Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Gold Wing issues:

No stock rider's backrest.
No stock highway bars/pegs.
Non electrically adjustable windshield.
Heated seats and grips prone to failures.
Not a six speed.

Goldwing loyals defend all these flaws, and even refer to the parent company as Mother Honda.

Any wonder I hang out here mostly?
You have made my point for me, Brother Bill; thank you! Honda makes good products. They make good automobiles, good motorcycles, good generators, good lawn mowers, et cetera. I don't think Honda makes any bad products. However, if someone has the "Mother Honda" mentality, and believes all Honda products are perfect, then he is separated from reality. :roll: This is the type of person who feels it is necessary to badmouth the new BMW motorcycle, purely because it is not manufactured by "Mother Honda." :?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #30

Quote:
They make a similar amount of torque, so I forgive them.

I've never understood the pack mentality when it comes to brand loyalty. I love all sorts of bikes, cars and trucks, and I'll give them all a good home. I recognize the engineering it takes to produce a motorized vehicle, and I can appreciate all of them.

I tend to have brand loyalty where it makes financial sense, since I'm a cheap China Rider. For example, an old Honda is an excellent choice because parts are so readily available on eBay, etc. We just traded away an old Yamaha MX175 because we couldn't find a replacement CDI anywhere. I have a box full of old Honda ignition stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer